Sequel: Run the Show

Somebody Needs You

Chapter 33

Fashion week in Toronto didn’t just happen once every year, it took place several times, so in the end of March, Katie found herself rushing around like a mad woman once again, trying to organize their fashion show during the hectic week.

Not showing yet, she was still well and truly pregnant and had already reached the second trimester which meant that she was feeling a lot better than before. Her sporadic morning sickness was gone but she’d gotten even more weird cravings the past couple of days so her coworkers weren’t finding it quite as crazy anymore to see her eating something like nacho chips and chocolate ice cream…

It sounded wrong even to her, but apparently the baby approved caused it tasted like heaven.

Watching her climbing all over the empty runway with instructions to the lightning crew as well as other nameless people working the event, Luke couldn’t help but wish that she would slow down, at least a bit. But then again, from just watching her, you wouldn’t have guessed that she was even pregnant.

Her body hadn't changed much yet – he had noticed the growth in the chest region, but much to his annoyance so had every other male within a five mile radius from her too – and as she was hurrying around dressed in jeans that hugged her hips, a white dress shirt covered with a black, tight, v-necked sweater and had a lanyard with a plastic id fastened to the end of it handing around her neck, she looked just like any other woman there. But he worried about her no matter what she told him. He loved her and their baby more than anything and he just didn’t want anything to happen to either of them.

Reaching out and grasping her hand as she was hurrying by, he smiled widely as she spun around and looked down at him. “What?” she smiled, happy to see him despite being stressed.

“Don’t push yourself too hard,” he reminded her.

“I won’t,” she promised him, leaning down and kissing him before sending him another smile and jogging along the front row.

Watching her disappear behind that walls separating the audience from the backstage area, he sighed softly and pulled out his cell phone. He could see – very clearly – that she loved her job, but sometimes he worried that she didn’t know or respect her own limits, but he wasn't the right person to bring that up considering that he wasn't much better.

Sending a text to his brother who was still up in Brandon, wrapping up his own season, he figured he had to pass the time somehow as Katie seemed nowhere near ready to leave just yet. Even though they had already decided they were going out to dinner that evening. But as she’d been trying to teach him, fashion week only came around so many times every year.

Both of them climbing into his truck at the same time, they fastened their seatbelts as Katie picked up her phone and sent one of her coworkers a text to remind them of the mountain of things they had to finish before lunch the following day. ‘Their’ show was taking place the following evening and emotions – as well as nerves – were running high everywhere.

Lacing their fingers together, Luke let her be as she continued texting with only one hand and he easily navigated his way through downtown Toronto, heading for their favorite restaurant as of late. Apparently their baby liked spicy things cause for some reason she had begun loving Indian and Mexican food in a way she had never done before.

Being shown to a table as they arrived, they removed their jackets and sat down, quickly deciding on what they wanted to order.

Another plus about the restaurant – at least in Katie’s pregnant mind – was that after you ordered it never took more than ten minutes till you had your food in front of you and you could dig in. He was quickly learning that patience wasn't one of her finer qualities.

Not far enough along just yet to find out what they were having, they hadn't even discussed whether or not they actually wanted to find out, a head of time sort to speak. But a coworker of hers had just days before questioned if they had picked out any names yet.

“Isn’t that a bit early?” he frowned slightly as he looked up at her.

“I thought so,” she smiled slightly. “But according to Carmen it’s something you should start thinking about the second you even find out that you're pregnant, so that you know when you go into labor,” she was still worried something was going to happen so she rolled her eyes slightly at the suggestion. There was no way that she would have been able to start thinking about that when she saw the word on the test.

“I know we’re on a bit of a tight time schedule,” he smiled at her. “But that’s a bit too soon, besides, it’s not as if we know what we’re having,” he pointed out.

“Very true,” she agreed as she took a long sip of her drink. The baby really loved the spicy food but it was killer to her tongue. “What if we’re having a boy? What would you want to call him?” she asked as she placed her glass back on the table.

“I don’t know,” he admitted honestly. “I really haven't thought about it.”

“Then maybe it’s a good thing we started talking about it now already,” she joked with a smile across her face, causing him to smile as well.

“You're probably right about that,” he laughed slightly, lacing their fingers together as he sipped his own drink and looked at her. “I've always liked Jamie, or Benjamin,” he threw out there. “What about you?”

“I like Landon, or Colin, or Justin, Colby, William,” she ratted off, laughing as he rolled his eyes at her.

“Overachiever,” he told her, squeezing her hand slightly.

“I really have no idea,” she admitted. “Or I have ideas, but none that are serious, if you know what I mean,” she corrected herself.

“I know what you mean,” he nodded slowly, before tugging slightly on her hand and closing the distance between them by pressing his lips against hers in a soft, but sweet kiss.

He knew exactly what she meant.