Sequel: Run the Show

Somebody Needs You

Chapter 34

“So if I say that I want to find out, are you just going to go along with that or what?” Katie frowned, pushing her hands into the pockets of her jeans as they were walking through the large mall just outside of the city.

“I don’t know,” Luke admitted. Katie had another sonogram scheduled the following week and they’d been informed that if they wanted they could – if it was possible to get the right angle and all that– find out if they were having a boy or a girl. That had sparked a discussion as to whether or not they were going to find out.

They had clearly not decided yet and they weren’t really agreeing, even if neither of them had even decided themselves if they wanted to actually know already. It could clearly end up as a very pointless argument.

“Luke,” she whined, pouting slightly as she looked up at him.

“I'm serious,” he told her, wrapping his arms around her shoulders and pressing a kiss to her temple as he pulled her closer to him. “I really don’t know. I don’t know if we should find out or wait, I don’t know if I want to know if you don’t and I don’t know if I could go around not knowing when you do.”

“Why didn’t anyone tell me that these decisions were going to be so hard?” she moaned annoyed, she hated it. She just didn’t want to do something and then have regrets about it.

“It’s just there to teach us deal with everything else,” he whispered against the side of her head as she leaned back against his chest.

“I know,” she groaned slightly. “But that doesn’t make it any easier.”

“True,” he couldn’t argue that. “Maybe we should just decided to not find out,” he suggested.

“Why?” she asked skeptically, but ready to hear him out if he had a good argument.

“Because if we don’t find out now, we can always ask at your next appointment or we’ll just find out in the end anyway,” he pointed out smiling. “But if we do find out, that’s it,” he stated. “You can’t make it undone.”

“Sometimes you're actually pretty smart,” she smiled as she turned around in his arms and leaned up, pressing her lips against his. “I love you.”

“Cheeky,” he smirked into the kiss. “And I love you too,” he added as he laced their fingers together and they continued down the ‘street’ in the large mall.

“You better,” she joked as she let him steer here between all the large stores. “Where are you taking me?” she frowned as they turned left where the shops spread out in two different directions.

Not replying he simply smiled down at her as they walked around along with all the other people who were currently at the mall. Their season had ended with an overtime win against Montreal the previous Saturday, and whilst they weren’t anywhere near the playoffs, it felt nice to end the season with a win and not in the last place. They’d managed to pick up their game in the last part of the season – when they were already out of the playoffs – and it mostly left only good, positive vibes for the coming season.

The two of them often did things together, but they had learned the hard way that any shopping that didn’t include groceries weren’t made to be executed in the presence of each other. In simple terms, they annoyed the hell out of each other before they even made it through the doors of the store.

But this day they’d decided to brave the stores together, after all, they were having a baby together and they clearly needed to shop for their arrival, together.

Seeing just where he was taking her, she actually gushed a little and leaned up, kissing his cheek. “You're getting broody,” she stated as they walked inside the large store, filled with nothing but baby things; clothes, toys, cribs, stuffed animals, strollers…anything you could think off.

“Yes, I am,” he confirmed, traces of a blush appearing on his cheeks. His friends had been teasing him about it ever since he told them he was becoming a dad, well since they got over the shock and disbelief that was. But he was quickly getting to a point where he could no longer deny it, he was looking forwards to becoming a dad. He was even dreaming about everything he wanted to teach and show their son or daughter when they were growing up.

“Aww, everything is just so cute,” she sighed, almost feeling overwhelmed by everything in the store. Baby stores were always a bit like a black hole for her – even before she was pregnant – she always wanted to buy half the store.

“It’s so tiny,” he commented softly as he watched her pick up a small, blue onesie from one of the shelves before them.

“I want to buy one of everything,” she admitted, a soft smile across her lips.

“Funny,” he replied, even though he could hear that she was almost being serious.

Slowly walking through the store they discussed pros and cons for several of the larger things they looked at, like the crib, and the stroller and everything they would need to get for the baby’s room – which they hadn't yet talked about, they also realized.

“So if we don’t know if it’s a boy or a girl, how are we going to pick colors and everything?” he frowned slightly, suspiciously eyeing a very pink and fluffy crib standing a few feet away from them.

“We pick neutral colors,” she shrugged as she came back to him, wrapping her arms around his waist. “And that pink, frilly thing wouldn’t come anywhere near my baby, even if it’s a girl,” she stated, placing her hand on her stomach.

“Glad to hear that,” he smiled, suppressing a soft laugh at the look that appeared across her face.

“I think we should decide on neutral colors no matter if we find out or not,” she suggested, looking up at him. “That way, it’s not too girly or too…well, boyish,” she pointed out.

“But what if we have a girl and they grow up to want a pink room?” he wondered, curious as to what her response would be.

“Over my dead body,” she joked. “No, but really, there’s no way a room in a house I'm living in is going to be pink. I can accept purple, but not pink, no matter what shade it is, no way,” she shook her head.

“You're opinionated about that,” he noted as the two of them continued around the rest of the story.

“I just don’t want my children to grow up with warped thoughts that blue means it’s for boys and pink or red means it’s for girls,” she shrugged simply. “I grew up loving playing with cars and playing street hockey down where we grew up and I turned out fine.”

“You turned out more than fine,” he decided, leaning down and kissing her. To him, she turned out perfect.