Sequel: Run the Show

Somebody Needs You

Chapter 38

Katie had grown up, spent almost 23 years believing that she was beyond stubborn; a trait her mother swore came from her father.

Ha! A big fat Ha!

It took Luke no longer than three days to get her to cave like a house of cards and agree to go and at least look at a couple of houses. He even called his teammates to get some idea as to where they should be looking and see if someone had a real estate agent they could recommend.

Two days later they were driving across the city to see their first house for the day and Katie had to bite her lips to not ask someone to pinch her. If she’d been asked a year earlier, she would probably have run screaming in the other direction if anyone had even mentioned her getting a house. Yet here she was…

Of course, she hadn’t really expected that she would have been engaged to a wonderful guy and be pregnant with his child either…or pregnant at all was more like it. But here she was and she was loving every minute of it, so she would just have to suck it up and spend the entire day looking at a bunch of houses she knew nothing about.

One of the older guys on the team had given them the name of his real estate agent, who apparently worked miracles and they were now on their way to meet her.

As of yet they’d only talked to her on the phone and they had also emailed her a list of what they were looking for in a potential house, so that she could pick a few that were on sale and show them.

If Katie had thought that bargaining about whose furniture went where when they moved in together was hard, she’d been proven wrong when they were asked to write down between five and ten features they really wanted in their house… Moving in together had been a piece of cake, and that made her slightly scared about the future considering that they were supposed to compromise and raise a baby together…

Pulling up outside the address Veronica – their real estate agent – had given them, both of them climbed out of the large car and like grasped her hands as they approached the woman who were in her early to mid fifties and who was appearing to be waiting for them at the bottom of a couple of steps.

Noticing the large stack of folders in the woman’s arms, Katie suppressed a groan as she plastered a smile across her face. It was going to be a really long day…

Walking around the seventh (!) house of the day, Katie felt as if her head was going to explode, closely followed by her feet. Currently her head as swimming with words she’d never heard before, impressions both good, bad and terrible and she was having trouble separating one house from all the others they’d seen during the day.

Luke’s teammates had recommended a few different neighbor hoods, some which they were currently living in, but so far none of them ones they had been in appealed to them. They were all nice, but none stood out from the others as the better choice.

They hadn't had much more luck when they looked at the actual houses either. Every single one was nice, but they always seemed to find something to complain about. The bathroom was too small, there was no garage, the kitchen was too big, not enough rooms, the backyard wasn't big enough…

She hadn’t said it but both Luke and Katie had a feeling that Veronica was slowly going crazy with their constant complaining.

They were also pretty sure that they were finding faults and negative things with the houses just so that they didn’t have to justify why they didn’t want to by that particular one. They were also aware that it probably wasn't such an adult thing to do…

Walking back to the car for the final time that day, they had no more houses to look at, Katie pulled off her ankle boots the second she climbed into the large vehicle, groaning slightly as her aching feet were finally free.

“You alright over there?” Luke smiled amused as he watched his fiancée sit in the passenger seat, door open and her feet outside the car as she wiggled her toes. She had very cute toes according to him.

“Shut up, it’s your fault I'm even in this condition,” she joked as she glanced back at him over her shoulder before giving her toes a final wiggle and turning around in the leather seat so that she was sitting properly in the car.

“So what did you think?” he asked as she buckled her seat belt, still barefoot, and he slowly drove down the calm residential street.

“Well…” she stalled, trying to think of the best way to word things. “I didn’t see anything that made me go wow,” she admitted, looking over at him.

“Yeah, me neither,” he agreed. “I guess this finding a house thing is a lot harder than I thought,” he admitted softly, glancing over at her.

“I could have told you that,” she laughed slightly. “I actually think I kind of did.”

“You did,” he nodded, albeit somewhat reluctantly as she continued down the road.

“It just means that we have to keep looking,” she smiled over at him. She might not have been overly positive about moving – at least now – when they began talking about it, but seeing the houses made her realize just how much she missed living in one.

She was actually kind of looking forwards to finding a house. A house that the three of them could call their own. Their home…