Sequel: Run the Show

Somebody Needs You

Chapter 40

Just like Brayden had said, Drew had arrived around noon and had come straight to the hospital from the airport. And the hours after he’d first seen Katelyn, it had been like a revolving door of relatives. Each one equally as torn as the previous; they were all excited to see the newest addition to the family/families and just as torn up about seeing Katie in such a state.

His parents and his younger sisters had been the first to arrive. Katie’s older sister Kristen and her boyfriend and two daughters were next. Then their parents and younger sister and brother arrived.

The baby – whom he refused to name without input from Katie – had been cleared to go home but considering that he spent every waking moment at the hospital, to be near Katie, they let him stay longer. It probably had something to do with his ‘status’ in the city too…

Currently his parents and Katie’s parents were dotting over his son and he was standing out the hallway, between Drew and Brayden, watching them through the glass pane.

“Go see her,” Drew announced. He’d been up to the ICU the second he’d arrived, after seeing the baby his two best friends had managed to put into the world, and he’d left the hospital without a word a while later.

“They’ve moved her,” Luke said evenly, not tearing his eyes away from his son. “She’s in a regular ward now. They took out the breathing tube too; they’re just…waiting for her to wake up.”

“We’re not going to go anywhere, I promise,” Brayden stated, turning towards his brother and leaning slightly against the frame around the window.

Surrendering, Luke slowly walked down the halls of the hospital that was growing to become more familiar than he ever thought possible and made his way towards the new room where Katie was being kept.

The doctors had told him that her clotting was almost back to normal and now all they needed to do, was wait. Wait for her to wake up.

Sitting down in the chair next to the bed where he’d already spent quite some time, he picked up her left hand, which was no longer covered in tape, just a nasty looking bruise.

Brushing his fingers over the discolored skin, he placed a soft kiss on her knuckles before looking up at her. With the breathing tube out, she looked like she was simply sleeping. Her stomach had gone down even more and at almost looked like she had never been pregnant.

“I love you,” he whispered, leaning over the railings and pressing his lips against her smooth cheek. Even her skin had gotten some of its color back. The only thing that hadn’t come back was her… According to the doctors, nothing medical was keeping her from waking up.

“Our moms are being so fuzzy,” he smiled softly. “You’d think they were the ones having the baby,” he still couldn’t get over the fact that the baby they were all fawning over, was actually his, or rather theirs.

“The nurses keep asking for a name,” he continued softly. “I don't know what to tell them,” he admitted. “We never…we didn’t decide on anything. I need you here with me,” he whispered, a slight desperate pitch in his tone.

“We need you…”
♠ ♠ ♠
So...there's only about eight more chapters to go of this story...
The over 40 subscribers and almost 100 comments I've received on this is amazing, beyond amazing actually ;) so I thought you deserved to know that =D