Sequel: Run the Show

Somebody Needs You

Chapter 44

Having brought his son up to see his mother once again, Luke had returned him to the nursery before rejoining Katie.

Their parents and all their siblings had returned to their hotels and Brayden and Drew were at the house as it was getting rather late. Personally he had no desire to leave the hospital and the two people who were the most important people in his life now.

Wrapping his fingers around her limp hand, he didn’t say anything at first; the only sound surrounding them was the ones completely normal in the hospital setting.

“When you first told me you were pregnant,” he began slowly. “I was stunned. I didn’t think that children were anywhere in my, or our, future,” he smiled at the memory. “And then I heard his heartbeat, and felt him kick and I never looked back.”

“He’s adorable,” he told her. “But Brayden is more of a natural than I am,” he sulked slightly, he hated when his younger brother was better than him at something. “He looks a lot like you, he has your hair.”

The doctors had told him to talk to her like normal, like he usually did, but it was easier said than done. Talking to someone who never answered or who never gave you any sort of response was hard.

“Brian sent me a text this morning,” he revealed. “He said it didn’t matter how long it would take, that I should just focus on you guys right now. He said he was happy about the baby.”

“I need you to wake up, Katie,” he said softly, squeezing her hand with more pressure than previously. “I can’t do this alone, I don’t know the first thing about children and they are all just expecting that I do. I…we need you here with us,” he whispered, silently begging her to wake up, to show him the slightest sign that she was hearing him.

Sighing against her hand, he closed his eyes for a moment. She gave him nothing and he hated it. He just wanted some little sign that he wasn't just talking to himself, that she was still in there, that she heard him, that she would wake up and come back to him and their son. They needed her, he need her, now more than ever.

Continuing to talk to her about their son, all the texts he’d been getting from friends and teammates he watched the minutes tick by. With each passing minute, he felt as if she was slipping further and further away from him, from their son, from their families…

Silence spreading over the room once again, he brought her hand up to his lips once again. “I love you so much,” he whispered only to jump slightly.

He could have sworn she just squeezed his hand…
♠ ♠ ♠
This one is really short
And I've been sort of neglecting my updates these past couple of days, so I'm treating you to two updates for one...or something =D