Sequel: Run the Show

Somebody Needs You

Chapter 5

Wandering up and down the hall, continuously running his fingers through his short hair, he knew there was nothing he could do but wait. The trouble was that by each passing moment, the ‘worst-case-scenarios’ playing in his head were getting progressively worse. Not that things weren’t bad enough as it was already.

No one was telling him anything, but the doors to the trauma room had been opened wide when a new group of doctors and nurses came by only moments earlier and he’d caught a glimpse of what was happening. He was clearly no doctor, but it didn’t look all that good.

She was even paler than when he’d let them take her away and she was in pain…the thing that made it even worse was the fact that she was barely conscious, not fully responding to the people around her that were all trying to talk to her.

Sinking down in the chair he’d been occupying for he didn’t know how long, he closed his eyes for a moment. He probably couldn’t even guess how long it was since they’d arrived at the hospital, it could have been hours or just minutes…he just didn’t know.

Burying his face in his hands, trying to ignore all the horrors that were taking place around him, he jumped as someone placed a hand on his shoulder, startling him. Snapping his head up, he expected to find a grave looking doctor standing there, not his teammate Tyler Bozak.

“What are you doing here?” he questioned confused.

“Brayden called,” Tyler stated and Luke realized he should have known that, Brayden was the only one he’d contacted; sending him a text moments after Katie was taken away from him.

“What’s happening?” Tyler asked concerned, seeing the distress written all over his younger teammate and friend’s face.

“I don’t know,” Luke admitted heavily. “No one has told me anything.”

“What…?” Tyler began, only to be cut off.

“She just started bleeding,” Luke continued, the events of the afternoon seemingly replaying before his eyes. “They said everything was fine, progressing like normal and then everything just…” he trailed off.

Brayden hadn’t said much more than that something was wrong and he was trying to find a flight from LA up to Toronto and looking at his friend, Tyler could see that the distress in his voice had been completely justified. They didn’t know anything more than that something was wrong with Katie and the baby but seeing the amount of blood staining his friend’s shirt was enough to raise concerns and tell him that something really bad was happening in the room across the hall.

Something that neither of them could imagine and his heart clenched for his young friend.

When he told them all that he was going to be a father, most of them had literally laughed at him, calling him a kid himself. But they could all see that he loved Katie as much some of them loved their wives or girlfriend and he was dotting around her like a…well, like a concerned parent.

Seeing the pain written across his features was enough to break anyone’s heart, he loved his fiancée and their unborn baby, anyone could see that and the thought of losing them was clearly ripping him apart.

Yet no one was telling him anything…
♠ ♠ ♠
As you might have noticed, some parts are 'normal' and others are kursive.
The kursive parts are in the past, I hope that no one was confused by this