Sequel: Run the Show

Somebody Needs You

Chapter 7

Getting up from the floor as the doorbell rang Katie chose to rise above and ignore the cheeky remark Luke had made about the commercial that had just played on the flat screen finally mounted on the brick wall.

It was over two weeks since she arrived in Toronto and he’d helped her get all her stuff into the apartment and now most things were in order. Her bedroom, the only part of the place besides the bathroom, which was its own room, was now painted in a soft grey that almost appeared blue and she’d made her large bed the focal point of the room. It was after all a bedroom.

The kitchen area was painted in a beige/peach/yellow stripe combination that had had Luke cursing her out as he learned that she was a little dictator when it came to design and interior decorating. The rest of the open-planned space was painted in white and dark grey, giving of the feel that the room was much larger, yet also cozier than it really was and the living-room area with its two large couches and a flat screen was – apart from the bedroom – the place Katie spent most of her time. Subsequently so did Luke – spend time in the living room that was not in her bedroom.

It was only earlier in the day that the final touches had been finished and Katie had convinced Luke that she should at least buy him some takeout as a thank you for helping her. He hadn’t turned down the food, just that she was paying for it, but he’d quickly learned that she was a very stubborn person…

Paying the delivery man, she grabbed some forks from a drawer in the kitchen as she had yet to master the skill of eating with chopsticks and returned to the living room where Luke was sitting on the floor by the coffee table, leaving back against the comfortable sofa. The rug laying spread out on the hardwood floor was thick enough that it really wasn't uncomfortable sitting there.

“I bring food,” she announced herself, successfully catching his attention from the baseball game showing on the TV. It wasn't her kind of sport, but apparently Luke like it.

“Great,” he smiled widely, looking over at her as she approached him and placed the paper bag on the table before him.

“Hopefully they got everything,” she stated somewhat sarcastically as she sank down to the floor next to him, handing him a fork before wrapping her legs up like a pretzel beneath herself. She’d eaten take out with Drew both alone and with other friends of theirs and they’d always ordered a lot of things. But just under an hour earlier she’d realized it was nothing compared to what Luke had decided he wanted to eat. She was pretty sure that if he wasn't working out as much as he was, he’d most likely resemble the Michelin man by now.

“Sassy,” he pinched her just above her knee, laughing slightly as she squirmed worse than a fish on a hook, nearly knocking over their filled glasses that was standing on top of the table.

“You're the one who wants to eat enough food to feed a whole army,” she swatted his arms away, threatening him with her fork.

“That’s not going to do any damage,” he smirked at her, grabbing the bag from the other side of the table and opening it.

“Bastard,” she mumbled darkly under her breath before following his lead and raiding the back filled with smaller boxes of food.

“You still want me,” he smirked, barely dodging the unused napkin that came flying in his direction before they both began eating, continuing to make their own commentary to the plays taking place on the TV.

Dinner long gone, the two of them were still sitting on the floor and talking more than they were watching whatever was showing on ESPN at the moment.

“So if I called you and needed a date for whatever, you wouldn’t even hesitate before saying yes?” Luke asked surprised.

“No, I mean, if you really needed a date and called me, I’d know you’d already tried every other option available and that you were getting really desperate,” Katie joked. “I wouldn’t leave you hanging then. We can’t have a bachelor like you coming solo to a published event,” she winked at him.

“You’d be labeled a gold-digger,” he pointed out, knowing what his last girlfriend had said – yelled – to him before storming out on him when she broke it off.

“And I’d know better,” she replied, not missing a beat. “I’m not a gold-digger; I know that, my family knows that and I certainly hope you know that. I don’t care what other people think,” she shrugged unbothered. “Besides, I’d be the envy of girls all-around, a girl could have a worse afternoon,” she smiled slightly, taking a sip from her now lukewarm soda.

“Now I really know who to ask if I ever need a date for a club-function,” he smiled widely, ignoring the glare she sent him. “Did you even go to something like that with Drew?”

“No,” she shook her head. “Surprisingly he never had trouble finding a date,” she smiled at the unspoken jab at him.

“Shush,” he mock glared at her, shifting his position slightly and leaning on the couch slightly more with his arm.

A comfortable silence spreading between them, the only light in the room coming from the glow of the TV and the flickering flames of the candles placed around the room and they simply stayed where they were, gazing at each other.

The attraction between them hadn’t gone unnoticed by either of them, but they hadn’t done anything about it. If it was the light surrounding them, the fact that they had gotten surprisingly close in the past two weeks, the overall setting or just how close they were, they didn’t know.

His eyes flickering down to her pink lips that were slightly parted and which he’d found alluring from the moment he’d been introduced to her, he leaned forwards slightly and was happy when she made no move to pull back. She did quite the opposite as she too started leaning forwards.

Their lips all but touching, a shrill ring was heard throughout the apartment, causing them both to literally jump apart.

Her cheeks burning hot with embarrassment, she cleared her throat slightly and mumbled something before jumping up from the floor and hurrying out of the room, in search of her ringing cell phone.

Watching her practically run away from him, he suppressed a groan and just rubbed his hands over his face, trying to get the brightness to leave his cheeks.

That had probably been really stupid…