Status: finished

Come Away With Me

Gabriel & Juliet

The sunset fell over the water, illuminating the sky in warm pinks and oranges. I slipped out of my flip flops and headed straight for the shore, ignoring the chuckles that sounded from behind me. Footsteps pounded behind mine, running after me. I stopped when I was knee deep in the water, feeling the cold bite at my skin. I could feel someone breathing against my neck, sending tingles down my spine. Arms wrapped around my waist and a chin rested atop my shoulder.

“Run away with me,” He whispered.

I turned my head to face him. His brown hair shown brighter in the light and his blue eyes, dark enough to be black, captivated me every time. I sighed, and cupped my hand on his cheek. He closed his eyes and leaned into my hand, already knowing my answer. If only he knew how badly I wanted to say yes, but there were so many things against us, against everything we were doing. Kissing his forehead, he opened his eyes and took my face in his hands, kissing me gently but passionately. I wanted to stay there kissing him, forever, stuck in time without having to worry about anything; just being with him left me breathless and unbearably happy.

He pulled away and smiled at me, but it was a sad smile; a knowing smile. We both knew that that night would be our last. He took my hand and sat down in the water, dragging me with him. I sat in his lap, my body curled up against his. I rested my head on his shoulder, taking in his smell for the last time: soapy with just a hint of spice. His arms came around me, holding me in place. I never wanted to leave as the sun set before us, and just like our time together, it was setting fast.

“I love you Juliet. Please, just run away with me.”

I felt tears fall down my face. I was breaking from the inside and knew the only way to stop it was to say “yes.” But the words never passed my lips. I just let tears fall down my face silently as we sat, looking at the stars just seeming so peaceful and beautiful. I reached my hand up, thinking that maybe, if I just reached far enough, I could escape into the stars, free from all the heartache and pain that comes with life.

Another hand reached up behind mine, intertwining our fingers. I looked back at his face but instead of the confident man I saw earlier, I saw him as a younger version of himself, sad but not trying to show it. I kissed his lips sweetly. I brought our arms down and rested my head on his chest.

“I love you Gabriel,” I whispered into his bare chest. “I just wish I could show you how much.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Songs I listened to when writing this:
Come Away With Me by Norah Jones
Rush by Dean Geyer