Status: Coming Soon :)

I Knew You Were Trouble

Prologue

Peyton Montgomery.

He’d barely recognized her when he saw her. In his defense, though, the last time he’d seen her had been in high school, when she’d had bottle-red hair and the right side of her lip pierced. But, a year later, she’d shown up to get her picture taken with him and The Cup with chestnut brown hair and metal-free lips.

Hey Ty, she’d said. A lot of people called him that; his mother was one of them. But none of those other people had her smile. She’d had braces and then a retainer for a combined two years, and the end result was two perfectly straight rows of pearly white teeth. She’d thrown a party the Friday after she’d gotten her braces off, and to this day he remembered it because he’d had to carry his then-girlfriend home.

Peyton. He’d said her name with a smile; like it hadn’t been over a year since he’d last seen (or even thought about) her. A lot of girls had wanted a hug from him that day, but the one he gave Peyton had been the only one he’d initiated.

Because it was only polite to give a hug to an old acquaintance-slash-friend.

Her friend had only fumbled briefly with the camera. At the point when everyone else had thanked him for the picture and left, she’d lingered. He’d sensed her hesitance, yet she hadn’t looked away from him. He hadn’t been sure what to say, so he’d wracked his brain desperately for something.

So, is your number the same?

She’d smiled. Yeah. He’d forgotten how soft-spoken and disarming she was.

I’ll talk to you later then. Would they?

Yeah. He’d watched her walk away. A quick conversation, maybe. But he’d had no doubt in his mind that he’d never end up seeing her again.

Never had been a bit of a stretch. Later that night, he’d ended up inviting her over to Brian Jenkins’ house. She’d known him from high school too, but something about her had told him that she probably hadn’t kept in touch. A girl like Peyton moved onto bigger and better things after high school.

At first, the guys had been relentless with him.

You invited a girl?

Who is it?

Where is she?

Dude, did you forgot to pick up your date?


She hadn’t been a date. It had been a the-more-the-merrier invitation. Plus, he hadn’t really even expected her to agree! It’s Peyton Montgomery, he’d said, as if that would have made any kind of difference.

Peyton Montgomery? Brian Jenkins himself. A few inches shorter than Tyler, but with a broad frame and easy smile. Brian had laughed. She still have a tight little body?

Tyler had opened his mouth to tell him he hadn’t really noticed (of course he had, and of course she did), but one of the few girls in the room beat him to the punch. You’re a fucking douche, Brian!

Brian had turned to the girl in the short skirt and tank top. How did you get out of the kitchen? Then he’d proceeded to saunter over to her and hug her to his chest as she squirmed and protested both the hug and sexist remark. Hug it out was Brian’s motto with girls; there wasn’t a single problem a hug couldn’t fix.

A car pulled up, someone had yelled from the living room near the front of the house.

Tyler’s pulse had picked up. Somehow, he hadn’t really planned on Peyton’s reintroduction being such a big deal. But by the way nearly everyone had dropped what they were doing to race to the big bay front window, he’d groaned out loud.

So bodies and voices wouldn’t have bombarded her, Tyler had met her out front. She’d worn bright red shorts and a white tank top, and at that point all he’d been able to see were her legs. She still have a tight little body? Brian’s voice had echoed in his head, and he hadn’t liked it.

She’d given him no indication that she knew what he’d been thinking (thank God, because that meant she wouldn’t know what the others were thinking, and he’d known for a fact they’d be thinking it) and had risen up on her toes to hug him. A friendly hug. Hey.

When they’d separated, he’d noticed her eyes. Still the same striking blue, a fact that had been hidden earlier due to her sunglasses. She hadn’t carried any alcohol (not that he’d really expected her to since she had driven; even in high school Peyton had been the responsible one). He’d just known the guys were going to eat her up.

It hadn’t been as bad as he’d initially been thinking. At first it had been like she’d been expecting the same thing, because after following him through the front door, she’d stuck closely to his side. No touching, but he’d gotten the distinct impression that if she hadn’t considered it vastly inappropriate, she’d have grabbed for his hand. Luckily, though, everyone had dispersed as if the notion of being caught gawking out the front window was embarrassing.

Peyton Montgomery. Brain Jenkins again. Tyler had held his breath. Brian had the power to incite a riot.

Peyton had smiled calmly. One person she would be able to handle. Brian. Jenkins. She’d said his name as if she were suppressing a larger smile.

Brian had eaten it right up. After a hug, he’d steered her in the direction of the open-concept kitchen and loudly proclaimed, Peyton Montgomery, everyone!

Tyler had exhaled. She’d handle it. And without so much as a twitch in her posture, she had. It was like they’d all never been apart.

In the beginning Tyler had tried to keep an eye on Peyton. He loved his friends, but he knew what they could be like, especially with a girl like her. She’d only glanced his way a few times before he’d lost her in the crowd. But she’d found him again, some odd hours later.

He’d seen her coming. Watching from a distance with one hand in his pocket, the other clutching a beer, she’d moved like a sleek predator. He’d glanced down at his beer; what the hell had he been drinking?

Maybe his thoughts been clear on his face, because a shy smile had spread across her face. Haven’t seen much of you tonight.

He took a swig of his beer. He’d have to change that, then.

Things had been going well. He’d learned that she was going to York University in Toronto, and was studying towards a Hon. BA in Psychology. She was excited for her second year, but not for the fact that the TA’s contracts were coming to an end and were therefore ready to strike if they didn’t like the University’s new proposal.

Maybe you could come to Boston if they did. Where the hell had that come from?

Immediately, she’d known; the panic had been all over his face. Only if you want me to, Ty.

Why wouldn’t I want you to? Smooth, just like his reputation.

She’d taken in his smile just as smoothly. So you’re legitimately inviting me to Boston?

He’d heard the challenge in her voice; seen it on her face. Quiet yet compelling. So he’d leaned forward. I’d even let you stay with me.

That smile again. Tyler Seguin, you haven’t changed a bit.

Present Day

He was screwed. Slightly panicked, even. Why had he invited her to Boston? Because you were hitting on her and didn’t actually think the TAs would go on strike, the devil on his shoulder mocked.

Part of you hoped they would, though, the angel on his left sang. Right, because he wanted to show her off. Yeah, Tyler Seguin knew girls like her, be jealous.

Either way, she was coming. He was waiting at the airport for her now, with not one additional piece of clothing to hide him. But in his defense, he’d forgotten. He’d had every intention of bringing a hat with him, but he’d been so focused on picking Peyton up that at the last second he’d forgotten.

His phone vibrated in his hand, and he’d fumbled and nearly dropped it. God, he was such a mess.

I’m off the plane.

Peyton. She was here. In Boston. Coming to meet him. In Boston. She was going to stay at his apartment. In Boston. Oh, she was going to meet his teammates and friends. In Boston.

He had to look up from her message, or when she arrived, she was going to think something was seriously wrong with him.

But there is. The devil on his shoulder was having an absolute blast.

He just had to take a deep breath and relax. After he did, he immediately felt better. He could do this. She was just another girl. He knew a lot of girls.

Then he saw her. Across the airport with a large smile on her face, dragging a large suitcase behind her. Oh, God. Just another girl or not, he was in trouble.
♠ ♠ ♠
So, here's the Tyler Seguin story! Not initially what I had wanted to do, but it's been so long that I can't even remember what I had wanted to do. Heh.

Now, I have to say that I don't really know exactly what Tyler's schedule was like when he had the cup. Quite frankly, I don't entirely care (sorry!), so please don't anyone correct me. I know there's a chance I'm wrong and a part later in the day wouldn't have fit into his schedule. But it's my creative license! ;)

And as for the York University strike, I know there wasn't one. However, if you don't know York, there is always a distinct possibility that someone will strike. So, again with my creative license. ;)

Anyway, let me know what you think (so far)! :)