Status: Completed

The Games We Play

Chapter 18

Even though she was out of commission for the rest of the playoffs, Lacey went to every single one of her team’s games, sitting on the sidelines with that horrid pink cast on her foot, (loudly) cheering her team to victory. Loyola had managed to beat Southwestern in six games, the entire team seeking revenge on Lacey’s behalf. At the end of the sixth game, which Loyola had won by an impressive score of 4-1, Lacey went up and hobbled along to shake hands with the other team. Even the girl who had caused her the injury.

“Who are we playing next?” Lacey asked. Then she stopped, shook her head and corrected herself. “I mean, who are you guys playing next?”

“Lace, you’re still our team’s captain,” Becky chuckled, nudging her shoulder. “Don’t think that just because you can’t play it means that you’re not part of our soccer family.”

Lacey grinned and shoved Becky right back. “Alright then, smartass. Who are we playing next?”

“Well, it’s between Ohio State or NYU,” Farah recalled. “They’re having their last game tomorrow, and they’re tied at three games each. So tomorrow is their Game Seven.”

“Intense,” Lacey grinned. “We’ve got a decent track record against both schools though, I’m sure we’ll be okay. We’ve just got to work hard for it. We’re so close, ladies. Just four more wins!”

After the team meeting, Lacey went home. Jonathan had been busy getting ready for the next series against the Philadelphia Flyers and she didn’t want to distract him.

She got to her apartment and plopped down at her desk, opening her laptop and checking a few emails. She had finished her finals and wanted to email some of the TA’s to thank them for helping her out during the semester and understanding that she was so busy with soccer all the time.

Lacey wasn’t even aware that she had her Skype open and that her status was set to online until she got an incoming call. She checked who it was, and it was her youngest sister Hannah.

“Hannah Banana!” Lacey declared gleefully once Hannah’s face appeared on her screen. “How have you been? And what are you calling for? Is something wrong at home?”

Hannah laughed. “First off, don’t call me Hannah Banana. I’m not a baby,” she ordered jokingly. “Second, nothing’s wrong. I just missed you and wanted to know how the soccer playoffs were going.”

Lacey and Hannah had always been the closest out of the four sisters. Since Sara was twice Hannah’s age and already moved out with her own family, Lacey assumed the ‘oldest sister’ role and found it necessary to protect Hannah at all times. They texted each other the most often, but Skype sessions were pretty rare.

“Soccer’s fine,” Lacey shrugged. “I broke my ankle.”

Hannah’s eyes went huge. “You broke your ankle?!” she repeated incredulously. “Are you kidding me? Do Mom and Dad know? How the hell did that happen?”

Lacey shrugged and said, “During our third game against Southwestern, some stupid Sasquatch of a girl slide-tackled me when I wasn’t looking with her cleats up and launched me into the air.”

“Did it hurt?”

“Yeah,” Lacey nodded. “But we still won the game and the series.”

Hannah grinned. “Sweet! So, who are you playing next then?”

“Either OSU or NYU,” Lacey informed her. “I can’t be there to play, but Becky was named captain in my place.”

“Are you nervous for them?”

“Nervous, yes,” Lacey agreed. “But more like...anxious, maybe? I want to get the next series started. I want to participate, but I know that I can’t.” She exhaled, starting to feel sad. When she saw Hannah’s expression mirroring hers, she immediately changed the subject. “So how’s being a sophomore in high school? Final exams coming up soon? Any boys?”

“Lacey!” Hannah whined, blushing ten shades of red. “Shut up!”

“Oh my God, there are!” Lacey declared, clapping her hands together gleefully. “That is so adorable! Let me know their first and last names so that I can creep them on Facebook.”

“Okay, no, that isn’t happening,” Hannah immediately said. “Remember what happened when you and Danny broke up? Even when you and Luke broke up? I swear to God, every single person who goes to Loyola and even Northwestern who are on Facebook were completely ganging up on them! It was insanity! I don’t even know how you know so many people, but I heard they both got their accounts deactivated and went into hiding because of the shame.”

“Well, Luke did move to Minnesota and Danny transferred to University of Illinois in Urbana-Champaign...”

Hannah had her arms crossed over her chest looking very unimpressed.

“Hey, it’s what I’m supposed to do. I need to screen these guys before you can date them.”

“Speaking of guys,” Hannah grinned, sensing her segue. “Thanks for telling me about your famous NHL boyfriend!”

Lacey scratched at the back of her head, laughing nervously. “Uh, thanks?”

“Don’t play coy with me!” Hannah pretended to scoff. “Keirsten and I found pictures of you and Jonathan Toews on the Internet.”

Lacey’s eyes went wide. “What? There are photos of us circulating the Internet?”

“I’m surprised you haven’t seen them,” she shrugged. “They’re really nice pictures. You’re wearing a fancy outfit in this one, here, I’ll send the link.”

Lacey groaned inwardly and opened it. It was a photo, taken creeper-style, of them sitting at the table at Catch Thirty-Five on their first date. It was a great picture, the two of them smiling at each other, clearly looking nervous but still eager to see if something could develop. It was the picture definition of a first date.

“There are comments on this girl’s blog, too,” Hannah mentioned, snapping Lacey out of her daydream.

Another groan. “What do they say?”

“They say you’re really pretty, which you are,” Hannah emphasized. “A few girls are whining that you’re blond, because apparently hockey guys only go for blond girls...which isn’t even entirely true, by the way! And they found out that you play soccer because you’ve been in the paper with the Loyola team so many times. They think it’s cute that two athletes have found each other.”

Lacey laughed and shook her head. “Oh, God.”

“So?” Hannah smiled at her sister. “How are things with Mr. Jonathan Toews?”

“Things are great with him,” Lacey said. “We hit our first little snag, but came through with flying colours. I’m really happy, Hannah. And he and the Blackhawks have made it to the Stanley Cup Finals. Isn’t that exciting?”

“For sure,” Hannah nodded enthusiastically. “Do you think that you’re going to be able to go to the games at the UC?”

Lacey shook her head. “Can’t. Our game days and practice days are set one day after theirs, so the times are kind of crappy. And plus, I need to be there for my team for moral support. Jonathan will understand if I’m not there.”

Hannah let out a sigh.

Lacey sent her a look. “What?”

“I know that you love soccer and that it’s your passion,” Hannah told her. “But don’t lose this one, okay? I obviously don’t know him personally, but I can tell that Jonathan is a great guy. Don’t push him away or ignore his feelings because you’re so focused on your team and the outcome of your games.”

Lacey paused for a second. Finally, she nodded. “You’re absolutely right, Banana.”

“You’re damn right I am,” Hannah noted smugly. “And don’t call me Banana.”
♠ ♠ ♠
This one is a bit of a filler but I promise you, the next one makes up for it! And thanks for getting all the comments in, you guys rule!

Ten comments please! Trust me, the next one is ultra epic. I promise.

Livia<3

PS. Two left.