‹ Prequel: Pieces of Truth
Sequel: Nuclear Family
Status: Finished March 12, 2013. Check out Nuclear Family!

Sick of Me

Losin' Faith

[Billie Joe]

I was still in shock even though a few days had passed after the news. I didn't see it coming at all… Not that I'm not over the moon about another kid, I just didn't see Grace exhibiting any telltale signs, or if she was, she hid it well. Then again, I'm not exactly observant because she was like four weeks along. While I wanted to tell everyone I know, Grace was more for keeping it low-key.

"Can I tell Mike and Tre at least? Please?" I broke out the puppy eyes from the bed as I watched her get ready for the day. I had already taken Rita Mae to the bus stop and Jack wasn't feeling well so he was sleeping in his room.

"I guess. You might as well tell Ollie too while you're at it."

I grinned and figured that since she was in a good mood I'd bring something else up too.

"So… Green Day kinda got asked to go on a tour this summer and we're going and stuff.." Before I could even get out the 'but', Grace let out a sigh.

"I thought you said you weren't touring so we could go on a family vacation."

"Grace.."

"Why would you do that?"

"Gray!"

"I can't wait to tell the kids." Oh, she was definitely a hormonal pregnant woman.

"Grace, stop. Mike and Tre are bringing their kids and stuff. I want you guys to come too." She let out a slight 'oh' before sitting on the end of the bed.

"Okay. We can do that." Grace nodded and I was amazed it was that easy.

"Really?" I crawled to the foot of the bed and sat up on my knees, brushing Grace's hair over her right shoulder so I could kiss her neck.

"Billie…" Her voice alone made me shiver from head to toe. Grace tried to turn around but I held her still- I liked being the one in control.

"Come on, Billie Joe. You're gonna give me a hickey." This made me laugh against her skin and Grace giggled, telling me to lay off.

"You're no fun!" I finally let go and sat back on the bed, and Grace turned to face me.

"I'm gonna have a stupid hickey, aren't I?"

"Maybe…" I shrugged playfully, then yawned as I stretched. Grace asked when I was going to talk to the guys and I shrugged again.

"Well, you might want to go meet them rather than have them over. I don't want Jack getting any more sick."

I nodded in agreement; the poor kid had a fever and looked pretty miserable when he was up earlier.

"I gave him some Motrin so hopefully his fever will go down. I hate seeing my little guy so ill." Grace was always empathetic when the kids were sick. She was ready to do whatever it took for Jack to feel better.

"Oh, so the tour is from April 17th to June 17th. I know Rita is in school till the end of May, but you guys can just come meet us in whatever city we're in when she's done."

Grace nodded, taking it in and I could see her mind at work.

"So you'll be gone for a month and a half before I see you again."

"Yeah, but then we'll have three weeks on the road." No matter how many times I tour it will always go like this. I reminded Grace that the tour was two months away and she merely nodded before saying she was gonna go check on Jack. Before leaving the bedroom she glanced in the mirror, running her fingers over her neck and letting out a sigh. I laughed, knowing I left a massive dark spot on her.

---

I made plans with Tre and Mike to meet up at Mike's because Stella was home sick and Mike was the only one there at the moment. Jack and Stella had similar symptoms, so something must have been going around.

I kissed Grace goodbye and told Jack to feel better around 11 and I headed over to Mike's. We sat in his living room, drinking coffee and making small talk.

"So Billie what did you want to meet up for?" Mike was curious and Tre… Well, he was Tre.

"I have some news."

"Is it good news or bad news?" Tre's eyes were wide now. Why Mike offered him coffee that wasn't decaf
is beyond me.

"I'm gonna be a dad." I smiled proudly and Mike shook my hand saying congratulations.

"But you already are a dad! Ohhh. Gracie has a cake in the oven!"

"A bun, Tre." Mike chuckled.

"Cake, bun, they're all delicious." My best friends really are something else.

I mentioned how Grace and I had never talked about having more kids because the two we have now were enough as it is.

"I guess plans change, huh?" Mike was on his fourth cup of coffee and I was surprised that he wasn't twitching with all of the caffeine running through him.

"Well they're gonna have to now, won't they?"

The guys and I sat and talked about our adventures being dads. We always went to each other if we ever needed advice. Parenthood is tough, that's for sure, but it's a little easier when you and your best friends are going through it together, things feel a little bit easier.

"Rita Mae's best friend is this little dude named Andy. They're so inseparable that it reminds me of when Grace and I were kids."

"Yeah, kids tend to take after their parents." I nodded at Mike's comment, saying that I was worried about them in their teenage years. If these kids were gonna be anything like me and Grace, I was starting to think about not letting them hang out as we all kept talking.

---

When I got home, Grace and Jack were on the couch watching cartoons in the living room. Jack, in his shark pajamas with his stuffed great white, looked pale and miserable as he lay there with his mom. Grace seemed just as off as Jack did… She was in a t-shirt and sweat pants as she rubbed Jack's back while he lay against her chest.

They were watching SpongeBob Squarepants and I saw a glass of ginger ale on the coffee table along with a box of Saltine crackers. When they both just looked up at me before turning their attentions back to the TV I knew it was just one of those days.

"Hey buddy, are you feeling any better?" I ruffled Jack's hair as I stood behind the couch. He made a little noise and snuggled closer to Grace.

"He's been like this since he got up, huh Jack?" He nodded, saying that he felt icky.

"I know, bud. You'll feel better soon. Has he taken any more Motrin?"

"A few minutes ago, yeah. I'm hoping he starts to feel better or I'm just gonna take him to the doctor."
Grace wasn't one of those ridiculous, over cautious, worrying moms. She had to be really concerned if she was gonna take him to the doctor's office.

"Want me to call Mike and see if Stella is still sick?" Grace nodded with a grateful look in her eyes, so I went into the kitchen, grabbed myself a glass of water, then called Mike.

"Hey man, is Stell feeling any better?" I leaned against the counter and rubbed the back of my neck. I could hear the little girl in the background, so I knew she must be.

"Yeah she's been up and about for a while now and her fever is gone. How's Jack doing?"

I told Mike that he was still under the weather and that Grace was getting worried. Mike knew just as well as I did how she was with the kids. Hell, she's like that with us too.

"Well I hope he starts feeling better before Grace gets too worked up."

"Yeah, me too." I said that I'd talk to him later then hung up before heading back to the living room.
Grace looked up at me and I nodded slightly before Jack could see.

"Jack, want to let me up so I can make a call?" Jack denied Grace's request and I laughed. She glanced up at me with a pleading look and I went to make an appointment with the pediatrician.

"They can't fit him in until tomorrow morning." I sat at the end of the couch and rubbed Jack's feet.

"That'll have to work then." Grace brushed Jack's hair away from his face so she could see his normally bright green eyes and I noticed how she watched him with such a caring look. I know that she loves him in a completely different way than she loves me, and I was stupid to be jealous, but it still made me want her to pay attention to me like she used to.

I guess it didn't help that I had been pushing her away for so long, but in my defense I didn't even really understand the magnitude of what I was doing. The whole part where I was doing Coke or whatever substance I felt like every other night a few years ago didn't exactly help the situation. She probably figured I was using that shit again.

"Grace… Hey, Grace." She turned her attention from Jack to me and I mouthed, "I love you".

Smiling, she mouthed it back and I grinned before leaning my head back on the couch and watching SpongeBob.