‹ Prequel: Pieces of Truth
Sequel: Nuclear Family
Status: Finished March 12, 2013. Check out Nuclear Family!

Sick of Me

Sick of Me

[Tre]

Billie had asked if I could watch his kids while he and Grace spent the day reconnecting over music at the studio and of course I said yes! How could I give up an excuse to run amuck with those two?!

I came over around 10 a.m. on a Saturday and Billie was rearing to go. When Grace came down stairs she seemed more uncertain, though. She had an air of nervousness about her that didn't really surprise me. I knew that she was scared to spend a whole day alone with Billie after all of their problems, but their therapist thinks it's a good idea… She told me all about this on the phone the other day, and as silly and crazy as I am; I'm always there for Grace when she needs me to be.

"Here's a list of numbers, just in case anything happens…" Grace handed me a piece of paper with her neat handwriting on it, just like she would with any babysitter. I stared at it, resisting the urge to crumple it up and toss it on the floor at the risk of her not leaving. She was usually pretty cool with leaving the kids with me, but she must have been stressing out.

Billie headed into the living room to get Rita Mae and Jack and I looked at Grace, winking.

"You look really good today." I glanced at her dark jeans and off the shoulder Clash shirt, sending her a suggestive smile.

"Thanks Tre. Don't let Billie Joe catch you looking at me like that though!"

"He might get jealous and take me out instead, huh?" I nudged her with my elbow, earning a laugh. I mentioned quick congratulations about the baby news before the kids rushed in, figuring that they probably didn't know yet.

Jack and Rita Mae had huge smiles on their faces when they saw me and I knew we were in for a great day.

"Are you guys ready for some fun?!?" The two nodded eagerly and I saw Billie look at Grace, who seemed a little hesitant.

"Nothing too crazy, okay guys?"

"Yes mom…" The kids chimed in disappointed voices, but I winked at them when Grace wasn't looking to boost their spirits before they ran off to their TV show in the living room.

"Go on, get out of here you two!" I had to push Grace out the door after she kissed her children goodbye, then I looked at her.

"No kiss for me"

She giggled, pecking my lips and tugging on her leather jacket before picking up her guitar case and heading to Billie's car.

"And what about you, sir?" I looked expectantly at my best friend, who shrugged and frenched me before leaving too.

"Have fun you guys!" Billie shouted and as soon as the garage door closed I had the kids all to myself.

"We're gonna have so much fun!!!"

---

It wasn't tough trying to find things to do with a seven and a three, almost four, year old but they did get bored easily like I did, so we were going from one activity to the next quickly.

"Uncle Tre, can we go somewhere fun?" Jack looked up at me as we ate peanut butter and banana sandwiches for lunch. He had been talking non-stop about his birthday, coming up on March 28th, and I welcomed the change in conversation.

"I don't think so, Jack Attack."

"But Daddy would take us somewhere!" Rita Mae could always get me to do whatever she wanted me to do. I think she knew that she tugs at my heartstrings because I'm not her godfather. Mike was her's and I'm Jack's, but I was still jealous of Mike. I wanted them both all to myself!

"Get your shoes on then! We're gonna go somewhere awesome!"

I loaded the kids up in my car and took them to San Francisco's Ghirardelli Square near Fisherman's Wharf. We ran around the huge chocolate store and I bought them some goodies before we went and sat out on the grass overlooking the Bay.

"I want to play in the water!" Jack began taking off his shoes and I quickly stopped him.

"No dude, the water is cold! Brrr!" Apparently he didn't care for my shivering impression because he took off running toward the water anyways.

I ran after him, chasing the quick little bastard across the beach while Rita Mae sat and watched from the grass.

"You could help, you know!" She looked at me and laughed, shaking her head and eating her chocolate.

"I'll give you a dollar!" I couldn't catch the elusive Jack, so I worked on bribing his sister.

"Make it five."

I stopped in my tracks and stared at her with my hands on my hips. Damn she was good. She definitely got that from Billie.

"Fine! Just help." Rita looked at Jack as he was about to sit on the sand where the tide was coming in and she called out his name. While he was busy listening to what Rita was saying, I snuck up behind Jack and scooped him up, making him screech in surprise.

"Come on, we're going." Jack looked up at me angrily and tried to squirm out of my grasp but I held onto him. I hated having to be mean and authoritative, but I couldn't be awesome Uncle Tre all the time! Jack wasn't behaving, so we were heading home.

At the house, Jack huffed and puffed in his room while Rita Mae and I played Pokémon Stadium on Nintendo 64.

"Your hair is always different colors… It's so cool!" Rita stared up at my bright blond hair and I laughed, saying her dad's hair changes more than mine.

"I know.. What color is his hair really?"

Had she seriously never seen Billie's natural hair color?

"It's reddish-brown just like yours."

"Nuh uh!"

"Yep!" I nodded, telling her that we could put some color in her hair after we finish this game of Dig-Dug and she dropped her translucent purple controller.

"Can we? Like, right now?"

"Sure! Let me finish beating you at this game and then we'll go see if there's any dye we can find around here!"

Rita kicked my ass at the stupid Pokémon game yet again and then we went and found some blue dye in Billie's bathroom and I set to work.

I put a few streaks in her hair and she was ecstatic when it was finally done; I had made her wait a while before washing it out, so she was glad her head was done itching. When we were finished, Jack came down to the living room and saw us playing N64.

"I'm gonna tell Mom and Dad!" Jack pointed at the girl's hair and I sighed.

"It's ok, Jack. It comes out."

"It does? I want some!"

Rita shook her head and told him no.

"Why not? There are a few more colors up stairs!" I lifted up Jack and grabbed Rita's hand, telling her that she could help and it would be a blasty.

---

When Grace and Billie came home I was helping the kiddos get ready for bed. Jack, with his red streaks and Rita with her blue, ran and greeted their parents as they came in from the garage. I stood in the kitchen, waiting for it.

"Oh my.. Tre! What is this?" Grace's voice rang throughout the house and I sulked into the kitchen.

"It's not permanent!" I looked at Billie, who seemed impressed by my work and even gave me thumbs up.

"Don't you like it Momma?" Jack looked at her with puppy eyes and she caved. Sweet.

"Of course! I just wish you all had asked first."

"But Uncle Tre was in charge and he did it.."

"Go upstairs, you two. I'll come tuck you in in a few minutes." Billie told the kids to get in bed and I wasn't surprised that they went easily. They really were good kids, even if Grace was the primary caregiver and parental figure while Billie saw himself as a playmate for them. I liked seeing him be more than that.

Billie, Grace, and I went into the kitchen and I waited to be scolded - there was no use in avoiding.

"You just be glad it's the weekend… I'll have to spend tomorrow trying to scrub most of that shit out of their hair." Too bad it's not that temporary, I had to contain a laugh.

I saw Billie look at Grace with something I couldn't quite place.

"It's alright, just let it go."

Grace took a deep breath and nodded, apologizing to me for overreacting.

"No problem, Easy Bake." I shrugged as Billie choked down his water before bursting out with laughter.

"Did you just refer to me as an oven, Tre?"

I backed away from Grace as she moved towards me with the wooden spoon she had retrieved from a drawer.

"I love you guys and all, but I gotta go… clean my house! Ramona's coming on Monday." I blurted out whatever excuse I could think of so I could escape Grace's wrath.

"But Tre, I thought you liked it rough!"

"Dude, we could have a threesome once the kids are asleep! Come on!" Billie grinned and I shook my head, knowing they were fucking with me just like they used to. It seems that some things never change.

"Thanks for the offer, but I'll have to pass. I hope you had fun today… See you later!" I waved and left the house as quickly as I could without breaking out into a full on run.