‹ Prequel: Pieces of Truth
Sequel: Nuclear Family
Status: Finished March 12, 2013. Check out Nuclear Family!

Sick of Me

Sick of Me

[Grace]

The morning after the first show was brutal. I had a massive hangover and everything ached, even muscles I didn't know I had were sore. We had indeed gone out partying in West Hollywood almost immediately after packing up our equipment and a lot of show goers actually came with us. I have no idea how but I managed to end up back at John's and he was in awe that I was still alive.

I had meandered downstairs around two in the afternoon to find John drinking a cup of coffee at his kitchen counter while he glanced through the newspaper.

"Your show got rave reviews. I heard that it was pretty awesome.."

"Oh well that's good." I looked down and spotted a few dark, black and blue bruises on my legs and arms. That explained why I hurt all over.

"How did I get here?" Sitting beside John I poured myself a cup of the scolding coffee and relaxed a little.

"The bartender called and said you needed a ride at four am. I guess you told him you were staying with me."

I don't even remember going to a bar last night but I did have John's phone number on a scrap of paper with me just in case.

"Thanks for picking my drunk ass up then!" I smiled and he asked if I was ready for a repeat of last night.

Nodding, I let out a slight laugh. If Billie could do this night after night so could I. I mentioned how good it felt to be on a stage again and to let out a lot of my pent up anger, then I asked John if he was going to come tonight.

He told me that he wasn't too are but I made sure he knew that it would mean a lot to me if he did.

[Third Person]

Grace left John's house to go explore Hollywood Boulevard around three o'clock, giving John the perfect opportunity to call Billie Joe. He knew that he shouldn't be getting in the middle of whatever they were going through but Grace was starting to become reckless. It would only be a matter of time before she landed herself in the hospital, whether it was due to alcohol poisoning or some crazy accident while performing.

Dialing the phone in the kitchen John put the speaker phone on so he could make himself a sandwich. When Billie answered John greeted him cheerfully, asking how he and the kids were before being told to get to the point.

"Billie I'm not calling to make small talk."

"Then why are you calling? If you're looking for some gay phone sex I'll give you Tre's number again…"

John and Billie's laughter echoed throughout the house before a silence fell over them.

"Grace played a show with her band last night and I heard that it got really out of hand." John told Billie about how difficult the woman had been when he picked her up from the bar.

"Then out of nowhere she just broke down. She cried herself to sleep, Billie." He knew that Grace didn't remember how she had bared her soul to him at six in the morning but he didn't tell Billie what she said because that was for John alone to know.

"So wait. She isn't on business looking at spaces for a new record store?"

John noticed that Billie didn't even comment on how she was upset or anything. He was just angry that she lied to him. Trying to do damage control, John told him that her appointments didn't pan out and that since she was here anyways she would do something useful.

"I can't fu- I can't believe she would do that…" It was obvious that one or both of his kids were around otherwise Billie would be swearing up a storm.

"She's stressed. When I went and got her this morning she was sitting on the curb outside chain smoking like crazy. I think this is her cry for help."

"I don't care what it is. She needs to get her ass back home. The kids are missing her like crazy."

"Yeah well that's how she feels when you go away."

"That's totally different, John."

"I don't see how."

The men continued to bicker back and forth until John finally made his stand.

"I'm happy that she's finally standing up for herself. You've been treating her like crap for way too long."

Billie was taken back by his friend's accusation.

"I've never mistreated her and you know that. She knows that!"

"Yeah. You didn't beat her but you've practically done more damage to her without saying a word." John couldn't figure out any other way to get his point across to Billie. He told him that he should come to the show tonight and Billie said he'd think about it. After giving him the information John said goodbye and hung up, ready to eat his sandwich.

---

Billie Joe had made arrangements with Mike to watch Jack and Rita Mae so he could fly down to LA. He booked a cheap motel room for the night and then went over to the venue around the time the set was to start. Standing at the back of the large, familiar room, Billie had a view of the entire stage. He pulled his baseball cap snugly over his hair, trying to remain invisible. It wasn't tough to blend in with his black jeans and black Misfits t-shirt.

The lights dimmed and Billie looked up to see Stella, Ross, and Grace take the stage and he was instantly hit with a flashback to her first show with the two.

He noticed that she had just as much, if not more, energy as she did during any of her previous shows. Grace was beaming as she strummed heavily and sang their first songs and Billie was impressed. He always knew she should have been in a band and making a living from it but Grace always said that it wasn't for her.

When their first song was over, Grace adjusted her mic stand and peered out into the audience and sipped a beer carefully.

"I see a lot of familiar faces tonight! Some of you I don't recognize, but we don't judge."

Long Summer Nights had a group of devoted fans that were at every show no matter how few and far between.

"It means a lot to us that you all came out tonight!" Grace tuned her guitar and Billie noticed that it was the one she had 'taken to the shop.'

The show continued and Billie watched as his wife threw all caution to the wind on the stage. She put everything she could into her chords, vocals, and presence, which amazed Billie. Around him, Grace was guarded and reserved but here she did and said anything and everything that came to her adrenaline rushed mind.

"So I know that we usually play some obscure covers at our shows. I was putting together tonight's setlist and I think this song will ring a bell to those that really know anything about me and the band."

Billie Joe watched Grace intently as she strummed some very familiar chords and began singing the song She. He listened to the twist that she was putting on it to make her own; the lyrics were more melodic and drawn but it still kept a quick pace. Impressed, Billie clapped with the crowd afterward and Grace thanked her listeners.

To let her band mates take quick breaks Grace kept the crowd engaged and entertained. She invited everyone to another after party, ranting about how awesome it must have been the night before due to the brutal hangover she had this morning. Billie watched her blue-green eyes flicker with delight at the excitement of her attentive audience.

"You guys are probably one of the best crowds we've ever had!"

"We've only played like twelve shows." Ross's input made Grace laugh and tell him that he was ruining the moment.

The set lasted a substantial amount of time and Billie found himself getting more and more into it. He even found himself making his way down the street to the after party. Deciding to lay low, Billie did his best to yet again blend in with the people and it seemed to work.

"Who wants to meet my good friend, Jose Cuervo?!" Grace's distinct voice filled the bar as she walked around with a half empty bottle. Brushing past Billie, she mumbled a quick sorry without so much as a glance as she headed to a table.

Billie threw back a few beers but he didn't want to drink too much and make his presence known. He was fine just watching and learning about what his wife was really like without him around.
When he was ready to leave, he overheard Grace talking to a few fans about him.

"Yeah, this is the most fun I've had in seriously forever. I need to leave my husband home with the kids more often!" She ran her free hand through the length of her dark hair and Billie fought the urge to start an argument right there.

"More power to ya!" A female fan clinked glasses with Grace and they downed their shots.

[Grace]

When I got home Thursday night I noticed that Billie was acting more bizarre than usual if that was possible. Once the kids were in bed I decided to try and see what was up his ass.

"How was your trip?"

We were sitting in the living room; I was on the couch and Billie was in his favorite chair.

"Boring. I didn't see any spaces I liked."

"Sure…" He nodded, not believing a word I said.

"What?"

"Nothing. I just don't think you're being honest."

"Well what do you think I did then? Just say it!"

"I know you were playing shows and getting shitfaced. I saw it for myself last night!"

I had no idea what to say… How could he have known what I was doing gigs? John.

"So? What's the big deal?"

"You'd rather go to LA and get wasted after gigs than be here?"

"Why not? It was just two days! You making a living doing it." I was sick of him being a hypocrite so I made sure he knew it.

"Maybe we need some time apart…"

"We're always apart, Billie Joe! Oh, and I'm glad you can sit down and work things out with Mike and Tre but not me." The guys had been here jamming out when I got home which had caught me by surprise.

I told Billie that it felt so great playing those sets and that I had dreaded the entire drive home.

"It shouldn't be like this and we both know it."

Billie unwillingly nodded, telling me that he knew it too.