Sequel: The Violet Hour
Status: Finished!

Practice Makes Perfect.

Chapter Twelve.

The next morning I woke up at 9 so I could get ready and get a coffee before my meetings. I was showered and wearing jeans and a Chicago hoodie, just to be cliché. I went to the Starbucks that was around my building and I waited in line and scrolled through my emails on my Blackberry. “We just run into each other everywhere, don't we?” A voice said. I turned around and saw Jonathan standing there in a suit. “Hey!” I said giving him a hug. “How did you know it was me?” I asked laughing. “Your hair.” He said flinching like what he was saying would hurt me. I nodded my head and grabbed a strand of hair. “Some day, I'll have to tone it down or go back to blonde.” I said laughing. “Nah, I like you as a red head. Don't be a blonde again.” He said laughing. “Thank you! Me too.” I said proudly. It was my turn to order so I got myself a chai tea. Coffee didn't seem so appealing anymore. I went to grab a five out of my bag when Jon put some money on the counter. “I got it.” He said looking at the cashier. “Jon, please.” I said looking at him. He shook his head at me and the girl took the money from him while flashing her gams at him and not taking her eyes off of him. Now that my friend, takes some serious talent. Jon ordered himself a coffee and met me at the other end of the store where we waited for our order. “You didn't have to do that, you know.” I said smiling. “I did. I owed you.” He said. “What the eff are you talking about?” I asked laughing. “Remember? You, me, and your brother went out for dinner a few years ago and you paid for my part of the tip.” He said. I stood looking at him with wide eyes. “I cannot believe you remembered that. That was years ago.” I said laughing. “I know. I can't believe I remember either. Just one of those things you know?” He said laughing. “Yeah, I know what you mean.” I said. We got our drinks and we walked out of the busy shop. I assumed we were both headed in the same direction. “So what's up with you today?” He asked me. “Meetings for school and Democrats.” I said. “You've got a game right?” I asked him. “Yeah, I've got morning skate in a bit.” He said. “You and Patrick still good after the other night?” He asked me laughing. “Yeah. We had a talk. I also told him I wanted to have conversations with substance in them.” I said laughing. “It's understandable.” He said giving me a weak smile. “So do you think you two are going to work out?” He asked me. “I would like it to, I guess. He's a nice guy and he's fun to be around.” I said nodding my head. “Well, as long as you're happy. You deserve that.” He said. “What's wrong, Jon?” I asked him. I could totally tell he was down. “Just tired. I'll have to take a nap later.” He said forcing a smile. “You know you can talk to me. You always have been able to.” I said quietly. “I know that. And you know I'm here for you no matter what.” He said looking at me. “I know, Jon.” I said with a smile. “Well, I should probably get going.” He said kicking a rock with his foot. “Yeah, me too.” I said. “Talk to you soon?” He asked me. “Fo sho.” I yelled and then laughed. He reached in and gave me a hug and we went our separate ways. I went to my meetings with my advisor for an hour then went to the Dems meeting. It was two hours long and not much was really being said. We would be having a vote soon to see who would be the new president of the club here and I figured I might as well run for it. After the meeting I went to the library and went upstairs. These were where some of the loneliest books you could find were. I went into a back section and just sat down. Yes, I sat down right on the carpeted floor between two rows of books. Sometimes I would look at the books or sometimes I would just sit here. This was one of those chill days. I would come here to sit and think. To escape reality and how sometimes it screwed me over. Everyone needs that one place, that seems like it's an island, where we can be ourselves. Where you can look around and breathe and not feel judged or not feel stressed. This place was mine. No, I didn't have a bad life currently. My childhood felt totally screwed up but now everything was okay. I could sit here and reflect on everything. Today, I just sat here and went back to a week ago. Where I was Blaine, the kid who everyone who knew her thought she would be someone. The girl who had no one else really present in her life. Today, I am Blaine. The girl who is seen with Patrick Kane. People still see me with high hopes and ambitions of making the world better but now people see me standing next to a guy who is one inch taller than me. Whose hair is several shades lighter than mine and is a star. I don't want to be defined by a man, I want to define myself. I was happy though, and I think at this point in my life with everything I have gone through, that is more important. I can make a name for myself and not have to worry about what everyone around me thinks.
♠ ♠ ♠
Let me know what you think!