Sequel: The Violet Hour
Status: Finished!

Practice Makes Perfect.

Chapter Two.

“Why, hello there.” He said sitting down. He flashed one of those famous smiles that probably gave him some memorable but not so rememberable nights. “Hello.” I said smiling. “Hi.” I said simple and nicely. “I'm Patrick. You are?” He asked me. “Psht, I know who you are.” I said smiling. “I'm Blaine. You don't know who I am.” “I know who you are now.” He said laughing. “What's a pretty young girl doing her all by her lonesome?” He asked me. “Oh lord. Aren't you the charmer? My brother is the goalie.” I said pointing him out. “Nice.” He said chewing on some gum. I nodded my head in agreement. “And yes, I am quite the charmer.” He said smiling. “I've heard.” I laughed. “Ah so you know about me?” He said still flashing that grin. “I just told you I knew about you. Not just the hockey Patrick Kane, either.” I said laughing. “Don't believe everything you hear.” He said. “Yeah yeah. Well, what are you doing at a small college hockey game?” I asked him. “I practice here.” He said laughing. “OH YEAH.” I said totally just now realizing that this was where they practiced. The game started and I watched the game and watched my brother. He didn't have to face too many shots but he came up big when he needed to. Patrick was still sitting with me and he asked me questions. It was the second intermission and I got up. “I really need something warm, no, scolding hot to make my body go back to a few degrees of normal temperature.” I said laughing. “Here, I'll come with you.” He said getting up and following me. “You really don't have to sit by me if you don't want to.” I said after I ordered hot chocolate. “I'm offended. Do you not want me near you?” He asked jokingly. “No, no, I enjoy your company but I don't want to take up your time. I mean, after all, you are a big time hockey star. I'm sure you have ladies waiting for you at your home or bar or maybe your car.” I laughed when I realized I rhymed. Go English geek in me! “Hey now. You're right, I am a big time hockey star but you don't see me looking at any other girls here do you?” He said. I took a sip of my hot chocolate, holding it with both of my hands. “Well, correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think the lovely gal that was knitting is your type.” I said. “Touche.” He said laughing. “Dude, don't worry. We're just hanging.” I said laughing. “It's fun though. How long are you here for?” He asked me. “I go to University of Illinois – Chicago.” I said. “Oh my g-d. You're one of those smart kids, aren't you?” He asked me. “Wow. Well, yeah, I kinda have to be smart to get into that school.” I said looking at him. Yeah, I won't deny it. I was a really smart kid. My 4.25 GPA scared guys away. I'm not trying to stroke my ego but I was smarter than most of the guys I knew. “That totally didn't come out right.” Patrick said shaking his head. “Don't worry about it. I'm used to it?” I said laughing. After I warmed up more we went and sat back down. We talked some more and then the game ended. My brother's team had won and he only let in one goal. A really bad goal but a win is a win. I was sad to realize I would be going outside in the cold again but I was kinda sad to be leaving Patrick. Though we just met, he was a really cool guy. We walked out into the main lobby as I waited for my brother. “Would it be cool if I met your brother?” He asked me. “Uh, sure? I'm sure he'd love to meet you.” I said laughing. We talked some more until I saw my brother walk out. He looked over and smiled at me and then looked at the person standing next to me. “Did I miss something?” He asked me. Patrick smiled and put out his hand. “I'm Patrick. Great game.” He said. My brother shook his hand. “I'm Andy. Nice to meet you. Jesus.” He said looking at Patrick then at me. “I can't stay long because I'm going out with friends from here.” He told me. Of course he couldn't. To be honest, me and my brother didn't have the best relationship. It was always awkward and strained. I never told anyone why. “Yeah, that's fine.” I said. I sighed and wondered why I even came up here to see him play. He didn't care that I was here. We stood there for a minute then some of his teammates called out to him. “I'm going to go. Text me sometime Blaine.” He said. He gave me a quick hug then looked over at Patrick. “Nice meeting you. Great job this season.” He said. Then he went off to his friends and out the door. I stared at the door for a minute then sighed. “Uh, not to be rude, but that was really weird.” Patrick said looking at the door. “Story of my life.” I told him. “Well, I guess maybe I should go too.” I said. I was pretty disappointed about this whole thing with my brother. “Would you like to go out sometime?” He asked me. “For reals?” I asked him. He laughed at me and said, “Yes, for reals.” I giggled when he made fun of me. “Yeah, I guess that would be fun.” I said. “You guess? You just take every opportunity to hurt me, don't you girl?” He said. I shrugged my shoulders and laughed. We exchanged phones and I put my number in his phone and passed it back. It was taking him a while to pass it back to me. “Dude, we both have Blackberrys, what's taking you so long?” I asked laughing. “Oh nothing.” He said smirking. We both made our way outside into the bitter cold. I moved my legs a bit so my knees wouldn't lock and so I would warm up. This weather made me appreciate Ohio weather. Except, this place didn't get nearly as much snow as my town did. “What are you doing?” Patrick asked me. “Making sure my knees don't lock or I don't die of being cold.” I said. I put my green hat back on my head and then shoved my gloved hands back into my coat pockets. Patrick reached up and fixed my hat. “Much better.” He said smiling. “Well, I guess I should get walking.” I said. “Wait, you're walking back?” He asked me. “Just to my car, silly goose!” I said laughing. “That's a new name. Would you like me to walk you back?” He asked me. “No, it's too cold. That'd be punishment.” I said laughing. “Well, I will talk to you later about our next date.” He said smiling. “Next date? This counted as one?” I asked him. “Why not?” He asked me. I laughed at him. “We'll talk about this when I'm not freezing cold.” I said laughing. “Come here.” He said opening his arms. “Oh lord.” I said as I waddled over to give him a hug. “As nice as this may be, I don't want to get frozen in this position.” I said. “Once again, you offend me.” He said laughing. We both parted and I waved at him as we both left. “I'll talk to you soon!” He said over his shoulder and I laughed as I almost started sprinting back to my car.