Status: Brand new. Let me know what you think.

She Was The Challenge He'd Been Waiting For.

Memories That Fade Like Photographs.

Alex. So that was his name. Isabella liked the sound of it. He looked like an Alex. Long after he was gone, she remained on the swing, no longer swinging, just staring up as the sky darkened.

She smiled to herself, wondering what these feelings she was having meant. She had never spoken to a boy for more than a quick hello if he wasn’t Travis, and yet, she had sat with Alex for a good while. He was easy to talk to. He was funny and made her smile.

“Isabella, honey?” Her mother called from the porch.

She didn’t move, still lost in thought. It wasn’t until her mother placed a hand on her shoulder that she reacted.

“Bella, come on inside. Its time for our session.”

She almost cringed. She hated when her mother went into therapist mode. She asked so many intrusive questions and then got mad if Isabella didn’t answer. A lot of times, she didn’t know how to answer though. She didn’t like upsetting people or making them angry.

“Mom,” Isabella began to speak, looking over at the swing that Alex had left vacant. “W-who was that boy from earlier… He said his name was Alex.”

“Oh, Alex Gaskarth.” Her mother nodded, a frown taking over her features. “He just lost his brother.”

“Lost him? Why can’t he be found?” She mused, taking the term too literally.

“No, honey, his brother died.”

“Oh.” Her good natured smile dropped. “Why do people die?”

“I don’t know, hon.”

Isabella bit the inside of her lip. That Alex boy lost his brother… of course he was upset. The only reason she wasn’t totally heartbroken over Travis’ death was because she was so stunned by it… confused. She was more or less in denial. How could her best friend be dead? Still, it was hard not to think of him. Isabella wasn’t lonely per say.

She always found something to do or amuse herself with. But it was a lot harder without Travis. She didn’t like being without him. She just wanted him to come home… why didn’t he? She didn’t like thinking about Travis, because the emotion it caused was one she didn’t like. But it was hard not to think of him.

“Honey? What are you thinking about?” Her mother looked concerned.

“Mom, I miss Travis…” She sighed. “Why did he leave me? All of us?”

“I don’t know.” Mrs. Randall sighed deeply. “Do you think that’s why you’re so closed off to people?”

Isabella didn’t know what her mother was talking about, so she continued. “I don’t understand why people die… did they do something wrong? I mean, life is so precious, why do people have to give it up? If people didn’t die, the world would be overpopulated, but still… couldn’t we find a place for them? I don’t understand it. I don’t know…”

“Travis’ death is still bothering you.” Her mother began to write. “Honey, we miss him so much, but we have to move on.”

“Move on? Move on to what?” Her voice was small.

“Maybe you should meet some kids… you don’t know anyone your own age, and it’d be nice if you had some friends. Maybe that would help you.”

“I only want Travis.”

“I know, but it’s not an option, hon.”

She sighed, her mind drifting back to that Alex boy. How was he handling his brother’s death? Clearly he was upset. It was recent, she assumed. She didn’t think it was never fair that people would just die and their loved ones were left to feel terrible about the whole thing.

She didn’t like that he was upset. He had a nice face, and she thought he would look good with a smile. He seemed to have a very kind way about him. She was kind of intrigued by him… she hoped he would come back soon.

“Mom, is that Alex boy coming back?”

“Yes, honey. He comes regularly…”

Isabella was on the swing when she saw Alex next. It was a week later and he was walking towards their front door. She smiled widely at him, hoping he’d stop to talk. She was pleased when he did.

He looked really good today. He seemed happier as well. He smiled softly at her, greeting her before taking a look at the thick book in her lap. He wasn’t a fan of reading. He liked that she did though. She was probably really smart. Something about the young girl intrigued him thoroughly.

“Hey Isabella?” He asked softly.

“Yes Alex?”

“Why haven’t I seen you? I mean, I imagine I’d notice you if you went to my high school…”

“I’m homeschooled.” She told him. “Its nice… I get to choose what books I read and my parents basically let me choose what I want to learn.”

“So… do you, like, know anyone?”

“What do you mean?”

“Who do you hang out with? Who are your friends?”

“Well, I had my brother, Travis, but…” She drifted off. “I guess, no one.”

“Come out with me.”

“What?”

“Go out with me. I want you to meet my friends.”

“I’ll have to ask-“

“I’ll ask your mom at the end of my session, okay?”

“A-Alex, I-I don’t know if it’s a good idea…”

"It'll be fine. You'll have fun with us, I promise."

"Okay." She spoke quietly with a small nod.
♠ ♠ ♠
Comments?