Status: Brand new. Let me know what you think.

She Was The Challenge He'd Been Waiting For.

Daydream Away.

Isabella was shaken by her parents' words. She'd always listened to them, never speaking back to them or disagreeing. She did as told, being reminded to take her pills or told to set the table. Whatever it was, she was quick to follow orders. It wasn't about getting in trouble, perhaps it wasn't even about respect, it was just custom. To be honest, she never paid that much thought to why she did as told. It was the Asperger's, she figured. She hadn't read much on the symptoms or what exactly was wrong with her, because she was afraid it would depress her. She let her parents control her and tell her what to do, but she wasn't sure she could anymore.

Not if they couldn't accept Matt. She was genuinely hurt by their disapproval, especially after they'd thought that her parents had approved when he came over. Her parents had loved Alex, who was in a band, didn't plan to go to college and, hello, had raped their daughter. But Matt, who had been nothing but amazing, was in a band that was easily becoming successful around the East Coast wasn't good enough? She wondered if it was because he was older or because of his appearance. Matt didn't really look threatening, did he? She liked his lip ring and the way the cold metal felt when they kissed. He'd gotten gauges when he was seventeen, and expressed that he wasn't sure he liked them anymore. He made her want to be brave and live for herself. Matt just made her feel alive like never before.

Her friends hadn't heard from her in days. She'd kept her phone off, stayed home, and went to therapy sessions with her mother. She was angry and hurt, but didn't know what to do about it. For Isabella, avoiding the world seemed like the best idea. She didn't know if she had the courage to fight for Matt against her parents. She wanted him more than anything, and she was sure the butterflies in her stomach that appeared whenever he was around would agree. She just didn't know what to do with herself anymore. It was simply because her parents were worried, she understood, but they needed to give her some room to breathe. She was bound to make mistakes as she had with Alex, but Matt wasn't going to hurt her.

"Bella, why aren't you opening up to me?" Her mother sighed, sitting across from the girl with her notepad.

The blonde shrugged, not answering. She attended the therapy sessions, but that didn't mean she engaged in them. She was furious that her mother tried to psychoanalyze her. Matt had helped her understand that her parents loved her and wanted to protect her, but because of her... problem, they tended to go overboard. He didn't tell her not to speak of him or suggest she not engage her mother. She just didn't see the point of trying anymore. Before she had friends, she had her parents, but things had changed since. She didn't need them prying into every aspect of her life.

"Just not talking?" Her mother tried again.

Isabella frowned, holding Minnie close to her chest.

"Honey, aren't you a little old for stuffed animals?"

She rolled her eyes, not even knowing how to respond. She didn't want her life dictated for her. While she loved her parents, she was beginning to wonder if a bit of distance would help. Sure, she understood that since they'd lost Travis, they were doing whatever they could to keep her close, but they were pushing her away. She didn't know how much more she could handle. Of course things couldn't be the same without Travis, but she couldn't help that she missed it.

She missed feeling alive and having her older brother. She missed the way he would tell her that one day she'd meet a great guy and he'd have to be approved by her brother. Her friends could never replace him, of course, but the All Time Low boys seemed to fill the void. Rian and Kara both were so sensitive to her, and treated her like their own family. Jack kept her laughing and smiling. Zack was always trying to teach her something new. But, to be honest, she still didn't know what Alex was to her. She wasn't quite as upset about losing her virginity to him as before. She wasn't happy, but she realized that nothing could be done. She couldn't retrieve it or go back to that night. And, to be honest, she didn't tell him "no." Maybe it hadn't been rape at all and she had just been a shit girlfriend.

"We're just worried about you..." Her mother began as many of her rants did. She would talk about how special Isabella was or how different from the other children she was. Her mother would talk about being careful and protecting her, as well as stating that they were doing what they thought was best for her. She seemed to have the speech down by heart. The older woman looked at her daughter with a slight frown, not being able to figure her out. She sighed heavily. Isabella finally looked up at her and started to listen. "...Its just that he's older, and boys have certain expectations, especially older boys. He probably has a lot more experience than you and-"

"Mom, you don't even know him." She spoke calmly. "Matt really cares for me. He'd jump through hoops for me. You met him, you said you approved. What has changed that?"

"Well, Alex, honey."

"Alex?!"

"Well, he came over to see me to check in about his progress after our sessions ended. He said that everything between you two was just a misunderstanding and that he misses you. He's such a sweet boy, Isabella. He'd be a much more suitable choice for you."

She just wanted to scream.

------

Isabella frowned, as she swung in the front yard. She didn't know what to do or who to talk to, and, honestly, she wasn't sure she wanted to talk to anyone. She hated the way things were going and hated that Alex had sweet-talked her parents like he had. She just wanted everything to be back to what it was. She was fine before all of this because she didn't know better. If Travis hadn't killed himself, everything would be okay. Not that she wanted to kill herself as well, but her whole life just wasn't what she expected.

"Why the long face, Minnie?" A familiar voice called on the opposite side of her fence.

She smiled, jumping off the swing and unlocking the fence to embrace her boyfriend, kissing him softly before practically throwing herself against him. Matt chuckled as he wrapped his arms around her, kissing the top of her head. He seemed to always know when she was upset and how to make her feel better. She sighed into his chest, holding him tightly.

"Baby, you haven't answered any of my calls, I got worried." He spoke into her hair. "What's wrong?"

"Alex told my parents that everything that happened between us was a misunderstanding. He convinced them that he was a better pick for me than you." She sighed. "Matty, I adore you, I thought they saw that. I thought they approved of us."

"I know." He spoke quietly.

"You know?"

"I, uh, bumped into your father when I was picking up lunch, and he told me I was a little old for you and that you were settling for me."

"Oh God. Matt! You know I don't feel that way."

"I know. I just want to convince them somehow."

She didn't say anything, just stayed in his arms. She was angry and saddened. Isabella couldn't believe that her parents went behind her back. They were trying to push him away and bring Alex back in. She didn't know if she could defy them, but she wasn't planning to go along with their plan. She didn't want anyone but Matt, and she wasn't "settling" for him. He was everything she wanted and he wanted her.

Matt didn't know what to say either. He didn't want to get between Isabella and her parents. He wasn't worth them fighting. It wasn't as if he were giving up, but he knew where to draw the line. He hated to put her in this position, it was more how hurt she was than his own disappointment. He'd really thought that he had impressed them, proven himself worthy. He was willing to try further if need be.

"I just want you." She whispered.

He smiled, kissing the top of her head once again.

"Can we go somewhere?"

"Wherever you want."

"Just away from here." She spoke brokenly, looking as if she were about to burst into tears. Her eyes glistened with the steady stream of tears that were hiding inside her eyelids. She closed them tightly so the tears wouldn't fall, but a few did, slowly running down her cheeks. Isabella wasn't embarrassed to be crying in front of him, she was just tired.
♠ ♠ ♠
Finally updated!!!
What do you think?