Status: Brand new. Let me know what you think.

She Was The Challenge He'd Been Waiting For.

We All Fall Down.

The whole next week, no one heard from Isabella. She avoided going out, preferring to stay home, and continue her studies. She didn't know how to face Matt and she was far too disgusted with Alex. How could her parents side with the boy that raped her over the one who healed her? She didn't understand. It hurt too much to think about for a long period of time.

Perhaps her parents thought it was her Asperger's acting up that had caused her to misinterpret the situation. The truth was, she went along with it. She didn't ask him to stop or say, "no." Maybe it wasn't even considered rape if she had done it without even a complaint. She had been in too far over her head to even realize what was happening until it was over. The girl couldn't understand, and she wasn't sure she ever would.

Isabella knew that she still had feelings towards Alex, and they were still very real. She was still attracted to him, and she felt as if because she'd given him her innocence, she should be his. But, she knew that it wasn't right. She knew that he'd stolen it from her even if she hadn't fought back. Perhaps it was like Stockholm Syndrome that she begins to side with him. Then there was Matt, who had been nothing but wonderful to her. He'd helped her through everything, and had made her smile again. She knew that he was a better choice, and she knew that he would never hurt her like Alex had, but she couldn't figure out what to do.

She was disgusted that Alex went behind her back to speak to her parents, but he had told her he loved her... Was that a lie? People don't have sex unless they're in love, correct? So why would he convince her to do that if he didn't want to show her how much he loved her?! She was beside herself, and confused as ever. She knew that she should be furious, but after thinking about it, she wasn't. In fact, the blonde was just extremely confused and conflicted. She knew that she still had feelings for Alex and she still wanted him, even if he'd ruined her for any other guy, but she knew that Matt was the type of guy she needed and should be with.

All of these thoughts wouldn't leave her head and she had no idea how to stop them. So, rather than facing the outside world, Isabella stayed home. Her mother was frustrated that the girl wasn't speaking to her, and that the therapy sessions were just an hour of silence on Isabella's part, but Mrs. Randall understood that she couldn't push her daughter to do anything anymore. Alex had showed her what it was like to be free, and to be in charge of oneself. She was finally coming into her own and didn't need her parents as much as she thought she did before.

Being alone felt like it had before she even met Alex. Isabella wondered what her life would be like if she never had. If only her mother had said "no" when he invited her out. She wasn't sure which life she would have preferred if given a choice, but she was sure the sheltered one she'd lived before was safer.

The blonde was lying in bed, reading when the door opened. Expecting to see one of her parents, she sat up and put the book aside. But rather than one of her parents, a brunette came into the room, plopping herself down on the edge of the bed. She sighed, reaching over to hug the smaller girl.

"Bella, why haven't you been answering your phone?"

"I don't know what to do. I thought maybe it would all just fall into place if I let it-"

Kara shot her a confused look. "What are you talking about?"

"Alex and Matt. What am I supposed to do?"

"What happened?"

Isabella sighed, she wasn't sure how much Kara knew, but she figured that Rian would relay anything Alex had told him to her. She explained that Alex had gone behind her back and that she was conflicted over the feelings she still had for him. She explained how her parents disapproved of Matt, and it was simply because of his piercings. How they didn't seem to care about his character or personality, just that he looked like he was no good for her.

The girl knew that they were only trying to help, but they wouldn't even listen. All she wanted was someone who could take care of her. Who could love her... There was a void since Travis had taken his own life, and she needed someone to love her and make her feel whole again. If she wanted Matt, she would have to prove his worth. She didn't know how to do that. She also couldn't deny that she still had feelings for Alex that were still intensely strong. She knew that Alex was the favorite, but she didn't know if she could forgive him. She didn't want to be just "another girl" to him even if he swore he loved her.

Kara listened intently, letting Isabella explain everything before she commented. The older girl frowned. She was friends with both boys and she didn't know how to help. She knew Alex much better and she knew the way he "hit it than quit it," but he seemed genuinely sorry. And then there was Matt, who seemed perfect for Isabella. He was calm, and understanding, kind and patient, but her parents didn't see any of those qualities.

"I don't think I can help you decide, Iz. I think that you have to listen to your heart."

"How do I know what its saying?"

"You'll know." The older girl smiled. "Come on, you've been cooped up in here too long, I'm taking you out."

----------

"I fucked up badly." Alex sighed, sitting down on the couch in Rian's garage, with his acoustic guitar on his lap.

"You've never cared before now."

"Its just... she's different. She's so different than any other girl."

Rian frowned, shaking his head. He knew that Alex felt badly, but the truth was, it was his fault. What could he do to fix it? Would Isabella ever be able to forgive him? It wasn't just that he'd slept with her and left, he'd taken her virginity. That was something she couldn't get back and she hadn't even known what he was capable of. He'd hurt her badly and treated her as if she were trash. Even if he genuinely regretted it, there was no telling if Isabella forgave him. Besides that, she was with Matt now, wasn't she? Alex had basically thrown her into Matt's arms anyway. Was he really going to fuck up their friendship over her?

"I think the only way to fix this is to see her." Zack spoke. "You've told her that you love her, but you need to prove it somehow."

Alex looked down at the guitar in his lap and smiled softly. "That's a great idea!"

The three other band members crowded around him as he began crafting a melody. Alex always had them in his head, and he seemed to be able to create them so quickly. It wasn't just about the song, it was about the inspiration. He needed to tell her that he fucked up, he needed to admit that he was wrong and that he was sorry. He had to tell her he loved her and he refretted what happened. The truth was he hadn't realized that she was different until he started missing her.

Isabella was supposed to be just another notch on his bedpost. She was a challenge because she was so innocent and so naive. Her disabilities and her blind trust had made her the perfect victim. He'd reeled her in, and coaxed his way along. He'd won her over, and gotten what he wanted, but even as he left her bed after they had finished, he'd felt a slight bit of remorse. Alex never felt guilty or sorry about the other girls. They knew what he was capable of and were prepared to deal with it. Isabella had been blindsided completely and broken down because of it.

He spent days wondering why he felt guilty if she was just like every other girl. He stayed awake and thought to himself what the reasons could be that she was always on his mind. He started to miss her. Her little rants, the way she'd giggle whenever he'd kiss the tip of her nose, the fact that she always drank apple juice when she woke up. He missed running his hands through her blonde hair and cuddling while watching Disney movies. Soon he was able to realize that these feelings were more than just remorse.

He hadn't expected to feel anything... But she'd changed him. Though she was Autistic, Isabella seemed to understand him better than anyone. She'd lost her older brother to suicide, so she understood the void. She understood the fear of everyone else leaving. Together they were able to feel okay about their losses. He missed the way she surprised him with wit and intelligence and the next minute was childish and silly. He couldn't help but long for her. And then, he tried to tell her that and she'd slapped him. He knew he deserved it, but she needed to know. Still, she hadn't believed him.

Then, seeing her with Matt had hurt worse than anything. Matt was a good guy and a great friend, but whatever happened to bro code? You don't date someone else's ex... or fling. In fact, Matt had punched him after what happened, and he didn't fight back because Alex realized he deserved it. The punch didn't hurt nearly as much as the pain he was going through. He knew that Matt was a better choice than he was, but he was jealous. The younger boy was supposed to be with Isabella, making her laugh, kissing her, holding her. He needed her in order to feel real again.

"I think I have an idea." Alex spoke.

"And?"

"I'm going to try to win her back."

Rian sighed. "I don't know if that's-"

"No. I have to!" He spoke. "I love her... Matt doesn't love her like I do."

"Good luck." The drummer frowned, shaking his head.

Kara had told him that Isabella was still hurting. She'd seen the younger girl, who'd tried to avoid the outside world. She had seemed depressed and alone, even Matt hadn't been around. Isabella had mentioned that she still had feelings for Alex, but she wasn't sure she could ever trust him. She didn't know if he could ever be the person she gave her heart to again.

Matt was a safer choice, even if her parents didn't agree. They were on Alex's team, and they didn't seem to care that he'd hurt her. Her mother assumed that Isabella had mistakenly thought it was rape, but she'd allowed him to take her virginity without a qualm, so why complain now? Not that her mother was okay with the fact that her only daughter was now sexually active, but she trusted Alex.

Kara had told her boyfriend that Isabella admitted that she hadn’t been sleeping well. Alex was always on her mind and in her dreams. She tried so hard to get over him and he weaseled his way back into her life. She wasn't sure if the feelings she felt for him were love or if they were just remaining compassion after the end of their... whatever they'd been. It wasn't fair that she still thought about him when she was supposed to be so invested in Matt. It wasn't fair that her parents only encouraged any feelings towards him.

Rian didn't know if he should step aside or give his friend more ammunition though. Kara had told him that she didn't think they should get involved. This was Isabella's decision, not Alex's or Matt's. They needed to support their friends, but ultimately, the girl was going to figure things out. Kara had told her to listen to her heart and try to go for the one that made her feel the most. But that also meant telling Matt that she was still harboring feelings for Alex. The girls agreed that Matt, being the nice and sensitive guy he is would understand. He'd be disappointed, of course, but he'd be okay with it. He understood that Isabella would always feel some form of closeness to the person she'd given her virginity.

Alex wondered if he could win her back. He was going to apologize, and explain himself. He wasn't going to leave until he'd, at least, gotten everything off his chest. They both deserved this... If she ended up choosing Matt, that could be Alex's closure, but he needed to try. He loved her, whether she believed him or not. He'd never felt quite like this and he didn't know what to do. No girl had ever affected him like this and his usual charm wouldn't work. He was hopeless, but he didn't care. If Isabella could see his remorse and believe that he really cared for her, she'd be able to see past the mistakes. She could hate all he’d done to her, and she could hate herself for loving him when she didn’t want to, but she couldn’t deny him that they needed to talk. But she could deny it to herself.
♠ ♠ ♠
FINALLY updated. So sorry for the delay, but I had the worst writer's block. Now I'm back and bursting with ideas. The next chapter will be a big one.
What do you think?! Matt vs. Alex. Which side are you on?
Comments? Suggestions? Predictions?