Status: Brand new. Let me know what you think.

She Was The Challenge He'd Been Waiting For.

Running With Scissors

It became routine for Alex and Isabella to hang out. He would come over and hang out; they would swing, and talk. Sometimes they were watch movies, eat, do whatever. It was odd that Isabella felt so comfortable around this boy she'd barely known.

Maybe he partly reminded her of her older brother. Maybe he didn't really; maybe it was just because he was male. But the only person she'd ever been close to was Travis, and now, not having him, it was nice to have someone to fill the void.

The more they were together, the easier Alex was winning Isabella over. She was beginning to trust him, to let him in. Something about him made her feel comfortable. It was in a different way than she had been with her parents. Her mother tended to fall back into therapist mode whenever they were talking. But it was as if Alex didn't expect anything from her. They could talk about anything, and it'd be fine.

After Travis took his own life, her father had become so protective over her that she didn’t know much of the world. Alex was like her only lifeline. She led the way… otherwise, Isabella would spend all of her time in her bedroom, trying to block out the world.

At least Alex helped take her mind off of the pain. It’d been two years since it happened, and she was just so shocked that she’d practically become numb. Her parents didn’t know what to do, so the fact that their daughter had a friend like him really helped.

"Alex?"

"Yeah, Iz?"

"W-why do people kill themselves?"

"What?!" His eyebrows furrowed and he looked at her as if he had no idea what she was really asking.

"I-I mean, I know people have to die... that if everyone continued living, then the world would be way overpopulated. I mean, life expectancy is just about eighty years, but there are so many things that occur and people die prematurely... But, you and I... we both have siblings who decided to take their own lives and I don't understand it."

"Why people commit suicide?"

"Yeah." Isabella spoke. "I mean, life is so precious... its so wonderful to be alive, so why would someone take it before its time?"

Alex sighed, wrapping an arm around his friend's shoulders. "Look, I cannot tell you why people are unhappy with their lives or why they kill themselves."

"I don't understand it though." Her eyes widened sadly, making her look even more doll-like than usual.

"Me neither." He spoke, letting out a sigh. "We don't have to understand it though, Izzy."

"But if Travis was really hurting, why didn't he talk to me? We were best friends. Aren't you supposed to tell your friends when something's wrong?!"

The older boy sighed. "Don't blame yourself, Isabella. This isn't your fault. You couldn't have changed things. You know that, right?"

She shook her head.

"Come here."

isabella nodded, letting him envelope her in his arms. He bundled her up tightly, wrapping his arms around her and stroking her hair. He could feel her body shaking as if she were ready to cry, yet she wasn't letting herself. She didn't like to cry, crying wasn't an option to her.

The blonde closed her eyes, trying to hold the tears back from slipping from her eyes. Crying was unacceptable. The only time she had cried in front of people was when Travis had died. Isabella wasn't comfortable expressing such emotion. She needed to be able to control herself, and not let things bother her.

Alex made her feel better without trying though. Him holding her eased her worries and her concerns. She was convinced that he wouldn't mind if she were to actually cry in front of him. He wouldn't let her feel badly.

Crying was a natural human emotion, and she was allowed to feel. The sadness that she'd been holding in for so long was allowed to be let out. He wanted her to be comfortable enough to show her emotions to him.

"Iz, I don't know why you feel responsible for Travis killing himself... you did nothing. Its not your fault."

"Just as Dan's death wasn't your fault."

"Its not totally the same, Bells." He let out a sigh. "Dan and I got into a huge fight that night... Travis didn't talk to you... maybe if he had, it wouldn't have happened."

"You're not really helping."

"Let me help you feel better." Alex spoke quietly.

"How?"

"Come out with me tonight, okay? A kid from school is throwing a party."

"A party? I-is that a good idea?"

"It'll be fine." He smiled softly. "You need to let off some steam and this will be a good way to do so... and we'll all be there, the guys and I."

"O-okay."

Alex smiled, kissing the top of her head before he could even stop himself. The contact made her blush, but she couldn't deny that it felt nice. That Alex's lips touching her anywhere was very nice.

Isabella was gripping onto Alex as they entered the house. She was really nervous and uncomfortable, and she didn't know how she'd interact with anyone at this party. Alex promised he wouldn't leave her side, so she was trying not to feel awkward.

Of course, he'd told her that he went to parties a lot. That it was what he and the guys, and Kara did on the weekends. While Isabella would be inside, watching Disney movies, he would be drinking until he forgot his own name.

"Come on, I'll make you something to drink." Alex held onto her tighter. "And then we'll go find the others."

She smiled with a small nod.

Isabella watched as Alex poured multiple liquids from various bottles into a red plastic cup before handing it to her. She took a small sip, almost coughing. The taste was funny to her and the alcohol burned her throat. Still, she drank, hoping that she could be accepted into this social circle.

Taking another hesitant sip, Isabella smiled. "Thanks, Alex."

"Of course, Iz." He smiled. "Do you want to dance?"

"I... I don't really know how."

"Its okay, darlin'. I'll help you." Alex smiled softly, taking a sip from his own cup. "Come on,"

"Okay." She giggled.

Soon enough, the effects of the alcohol were starting to work on Isabella. She was becoming a bit more easygoing, and Alex was clearly enjoying it. He held her closely, whispering into her ear, and when they danced, it was like she was a different girl. Sober Isabella was nowhere near as much fun as drunken Isabella.

Alex had a reputation to keep up and Isabella was definitely looking like his next conquest. She didn't know what she was getting herself into, now did she know what people knew of him. He seemed totally harmless to her. She didn't know what his reputation was, or why people seemed so interested in the two of them.

Isabella smiled, wrapping her arms tighter around him. "Thanks for asking me to come."

"Of course. There's no one else, I'd rather be with."

"Really?"

"Really."

Kara liked the idea of Isabella being invited into their group, but she knew Alex better than that. No matter how much she hoped things would be different with Isabella, she could tell they wouldn't be. The girl was too innocent... she would have no idea what was coming. And while her loyalty was to Alex, Kara had seen him hurt too many girls.

There was something about Isabella that made her feel sad. The girl couldn't really defend herself. She wouldn't know what was happening until it was too late. They were becoming friends and Kara didn't want Isabella to get hurt.

She didn't know why she felt so strongly for Isabella, but she had a feeling that she had to do something.Rian had told her not to get involved. Kara had no idea what she was going to do anyway, just that she needed to do something. Isabella was seemingly too drunk to know anything anyway.

Isabella smiled, her lips falling against Alex's ear. "Thank you."

"Of course, Bells."

"I'm really lucky to have you in my life, Al."

"I'm lucky to have you too." He told her softly, and then his lips were on hers.

Isabella didn't know what she was doing, but Alex didn't seem to mind. He brought a hand up to cup her face, deepening the kiss. The kiss was fueled by alcohol, obviously, but neither seemed to mind. Soon enough, Isabella figured out what she was doing to some extent. It wasn't how she expected her first kiss to be, and it wasn't how she expected kissing Alex would be, but she didn't care anymore.

"Wow."

"Feeling better?" Alex chuckled softly.

Isabella nodded.
♠ ♠ ♠
Things are going to get even crazier... Comments, pretty please?