That Day

One/One

He sits across from me, not meeting my eyes.
“It sucks, I know.” I whisper, leaning back on my elbows. A warm breeze blows and Kyle turns his head towards me.
“Why can’t you stay? I mean, you’re not in school anymore. Just stay down here. Stay with me.” He pleads, grasping my hand. I shake my head slightly, “I can’t, Kyle. I’m going to college. I have to go.” I whisper back. He sighs, looking at the water.
“You can take a year off. Go next year.” I chew on my lower lip, thinking.
I didn’t come to Florida for a summer romance. I came to help my grandmother, Laurie. She was getting older and needed someone to help her. Now that she’s dead…I don’t have to be here anymore. I don’t want to be here anymore.
“Kyle,” I start slowly, trying to think of the best way I can say this, “I can’t stay here anymore. Now that Laurie is gone…I can’t stand to be here. I just can’t.” I tell him, squeezing his hand and letting go. Kyle looks up at me as I stand up, shaking his head.
“What are you trying to say?” He asks me quietly. I walk to the edge of the water and the salty water bites at my toes.
“I think it’s best we just part now.” I say, kicking at the sand. I hear Kyle stand up and walk next to me.
“Julie…” he mumbles, reaching for my hand. I shake my head, stuffing my hands in my pockets.
“Kyle…no.” I say, turning around and picking my bag off the ground. I swing it over my shoulder, slipping on my sandy flip-flops.
“Maybe I’ll see you sometime again.” I tell him as he stares at me. His jaw slack and his eyes glistening with tears.
“Julie…You can’t seriously be doing this.” He whimpers. I lower my head, fighting back the persistent tears.
“Don’t make this harder than it has to be.” I answer, starting to walk to the sidewalk.
“Julie!” Kyle yells once I hit the pavement. I look back at the beautiful boy I’ve come to love.
He runs toward me, wrapping his strong arms around my small figure.
“I love you, Julie.” He whispers in my ear. I wrap my arms around his neck, hugging him tightly back.
“I love you too, Kyle.”
He looks down at me, smiling a little.
“There’s nothing to be afraid of Julie.” He tells me, pushing a piece of my hair behind my ear. I bury my face in his shoulder and let my tears fall.
I haven’t cried in years.
Kyle rubs my back and whispers soothing words to me and I can’t help but cry more.
After a few minutes, I finally run out of tears. I wipe my eyes and step away from Kyle.
“That was way to cheesy for my liking.” I mutter, staring at his now tear soaked shirt. Kyle gives me a lop-sided grin and shrugs.
“Yeah…but I got you to admit that you love me.” He laughs. I glare at him, punching him playfully on the shoulder.
“It’s late.” I mutter, staring up at the now starry sky. Kyle nods.
“Yup.”
“I’m going to get going. My plane is leaving early tomorrow.” I inform him. Kyle frowns, crossing his arms.
“You mean after that whole dramatic moment, you’re still leaving?” He exclaims loudly. A few passerby’s glance at us. I shoot him a look to quiet down and nod.
“Kyle…I have to go to college. I was accepted into John Carol. It’s an expensive school and my parents are paying for it. I can’t drop out for a year.” I say in a quiet voice. Kyle’s soft eyes turn into a glare.
“I can’t believe you Julie.” He mutters angrily, turning around and walking off. I let out a shaky sigh and start making my way home.

I glance at the clock on the wall of the kitchen, tapping my foot.
I hear a soft meow come from my feet and I see my grandmother’s cat, Snickers, sniffing my foot.
“Rayne should be here soon, Snick.” I tell the cat, leaning down to scratch his ears. Rayne is my cousin who is coming to stay at the house with her husband since I’m leaving. Snickers meows again and I pick him up, setting my bag on the floor. He curls up in my arms, purring loudly. I smile, stroking his fur.
“Hello?” A loud voice shouts from the foyer. I set Snickers down and walk over to the foyer. Rayne and her husband are dropping their bags and a small child is running over to Snickers who followed me.
“Kitty, momma!” She shouts, picking him up roughly. Rayne laughs, “Careful, honey. Be gentle with Snickers.” She says, patting the girl’s head, then turning her attention towards me.
“Julie!” Rayne exclaims, gathering me in a hug. I hug her tightly.
“Hey, Rayne.” I grin. She let’s go of me and I shake hands with Bill, her husband.
“Julie, this is my daughter Emily.” The little girl waves, going back to Snickers.
“Well, I should get going. Got to get to the airport on time.” I say, walking into the kitchen.
“You’re leaving already? Why don’t you stay longer?” Bill asks, walking with me. Rayne tagging along.
“I have to get my things to John Carol.” I explain, picking up my bag and two suitcases. Bill nods, taking a suitcase out of my hand and carrying it for me.
“Thanks.” I mutter, walking out to my car, him following. I pop open the trunk of the car I rented and load my stuff in. Bill shuts the trunk and turns to me.
“See you soon?” He asks. I nod, giving him a hug. Then I give one to Rayne. She waves slightly.
“Well, I’ll get going.” I say, walking to the driver’s side of the car. I slide in, rolling the old window down.
“Bye!” Bill waves as I pull out of the driveway. I wave back, turning up the old radio. I start to drive, heading in the opposite way of the airport. I turn into the parking lot that leads to the boardwalk. I climb out of the car and run a hand through my windblown hair.
I make my way down the sidewalk, looking at the water for someone familiar. For someone who is always at the beach.
After a few minutes I see that brown-headed boy I’ve spent my summer with.
He’s sitting in the sand, his elbows digging into the ground and his eyes looking into the clear sky. I walk quietly over to him, taking a seat by his side.
He turns his head and looks at me.
A grin spreads across his face and he laughs.
“What are you doing here?” He asks, staring at me. I shrug.
“I’ve decided to hang around a little longer.” I tell him, a sly grin taking over my features. Kyle sighs, reaching over and pulling me into a hug.
“You’re taking a year off?” He asks, a tinge of excitement in his voice. I nod slowly.
“Yeah.”
I didn’t know it was possible, but his grin got larger. He stands up, pulling me with him and leans down, pressing his lips against mine. I smile into the kiss and wrap my arms around his neck as he starts to spin me around in circles. We both break away, laughing.
We collapse on the sand, Kyle’s arm wrapped around my waist.
“I had a feeling you wouldn’t be leaving.” He tells me, his grin still plastered on his face.
“You did?” I ask, picking up his hand and holding it tightly. He nods.
“Yup. I knew you would decide to stay.” I roll my eyes.
“Sure you did.”
He chuckles, leaning down to press his lips against mine one more time.
♠ ♠ ♠
Word Count: 1,317