‹ Prequel: A Loaded God Complex.
Status: Starting

Take Aim At Myself

Zwei

Secretly I didn't mind when Brendon hadn't shown up or the fact that he was late the next day. I just wished Nicole wouldn't worry so much, I mean sure people don't like him but, it isn't like anything bad is going to happen to him. Our town is freakishly religious everybody would be too scared to go to hell for lashing out too harshly.

When it was just Nicole and I we could talk about anything. I knew she'd never judge me or analyze me, don't get me wrong... Brendon's a cool guy it is just he kind of scoffs it off when I get a little too deep.

"Good God," I climbed onto the mausoleum next to where Nicole was sitting, "I'm going to be a senior."

"I know," Nicole smirked, "That means I'm a junior."

"When did this happen?"

"It is crazy! That means we known each other for how long?"

"Like what?" I was starting to count in my head, "Three or four years."

"Five. Yep, it's five." Nicole announced casually and kicked her feet.

"Wow…" I said dazed partly to the length that we'd known each other and how close we had physically gotten. A few more inches and I could ha--

"Hey guys!" Brendon called, slightly winded. He waved with one arm and kept the bad-mitten racquets securely under the other armpit. His eyebrows were higher than I thought physically possible, his smile was huge and his eyes were nearly busting out of his head.

"Finally." I muttered, a little perturbed that he came at that moment and oddly enough a little thankful he did.

"Where were you yesterday?" Nicole sat up straight and I saw her purposely flip her hair in her face.

"I met somebody." Brendon beamed, I grabbed a racquet and began walking a distance away.

"What do you mean you 'met somebody'?" I made air quotes. Brendon only shook more.

"His name is Ryan. He just moved here, you know into the old Siska's house." He threw the birdie in the air and we began easily hitting it back and fourth.

"I was wondering who moved in-"

"Yeah and he's really nice."

"Brendon not throwing or spitting on you doesn't automatically make him nice." I mentioned feeling the need to snap him back into reality.

"It wasn't just that. He just talked to me." He debated with me.

"Just because, right. Ok." (Some years later we'd all find out that it was because Ryan's kite had fallen on Brendon's antlers).

"No, I'm telling you! He just came over and talked to me." Brendon flailed at the innocent birdie.

"Right…" The game of back and fourth ended and it was Brendon's turn to serve. I waited for him to pick it up.

"Well, I think it is nice Brendon met somebody." Nicole leaned back and I tried to keep my focus on the game in front of me.

"You think everything is nice!" I teased and couldn't help but find it funny when she stuck her tongue out at me.

"Come on man, serve." I pushed as Brendon's eyes glazed. He was facing the river with his hands limply by his side.

"Naw, I don't think I want to play anymore. He was really nice. He kind of reminded me of you." Brendon made his way over by Nicole while I bounced the birded by myself.

"Thanks Bear." Nicole brushed a few locks of her red hair behind her matching tinged ears.

"I think this Ryan guy is going to give you the cold shoulder as soon as we get to school." I lost my rhythm since I was mostly concentrating on Nicole and Brendon with my peripheral vision. I started up again.

"I thought that too… But I don't know, he might not." Brendon's shoulders dropped. A dreary pause took over. I continued to bounce the birdie.

"Hey, let's not think about school! Pat's home from college, we should go back to my house. He brought some friends home too." She hopped down and with much enthusiasm clapped.

"I don't know Nic…" I glanced at Brendon out of reflex. I couldn't blame him, what type of friends? I had a feeling what type since she was as bright as fire with color.

"Mr. Social seems shy. And I wouldn't introduce you guys if they were jerks."

"Ok."

"Pete?"

Taking a second more to decide in my head, I figured I should at least see who I'm up against. Shoving my hands in my jean pockets we began walking. Unfortunately the Cyrus's were home that day, I knew they were going to give us trouble if I didn't put them in their place. It was Miley too, she seems to think she can do anything and be just great. In reality the only reason why people let her get away with it is because they wish they could be her, I'm not going to lie, she's pretty hot. Pathetic what people want.

The Stump's house is a normal size, but when we entered it seemed entirely too small. About five too many people where in one room and I felt a little claustrophobic already, I was loosing my ability to just chill. Greetings were said and we followed Patrick from the kitchen to the living room, where I saw the plethora of guitar hero set-up.

"Ok, this is Joe and Andy. Andy, Joe this is Pete and Brendon." Pat's finger followed through the group of people and then lightly went back to his controller. Nicole sat down, Brendon stood in the doorway, while I took the instruction booklet from the case.

"I can't believe guys have the whole Guitar Hero system!"

"Yeah, it was a bitch trying to get everything to fit in the car. You can have my controller when this song is done." Joe chuckled as he took off his guitar strap and held it out to me.

"Joe, I'll just give him mine." Pat shook his hand, I took the controller excitedly. Joe put his back on. "I'm going to start singing anyways, if I don't I might give myself carpal tunnel."

We played a few songs before Mrs. Stump stepped out of the kitchen and into the doorway of the living room. She finished drying her hands then placed the dishtowel at her side.

"Why don't you guys let Nicole and Brendon play?"

Nicole shook her head and smiled. I'm pretty sure I heard a snicker too, "I have had enough Guitar Hero in the past three days."

"Who says Brendon doesn't want to play?" A small bell went off and Mrs. Stump left promptly to tend to it.

"I have to go to the bathroom," This Andy guy was totally laying the moves on her. The whole, 'I'll be a nice guy and give Brendon the special kid my shit' is totally obvious.

"No- no thanks." He kept his arms tightly crossed and I noticed Joe start to turn, "Can I play… the guitar though?"

"Here." I dropped the controller in his lap.

"Are you guys staying for dinner?"

"No. My mom wanted me home an hour ago." As the knot in my stomach tightened it served as fuel to get out of that house.

I shoved on my shoes and walked out as fast as I could into the chilly nearly-fall-night. How was I supposed to compete with a guy like that? I don't think a stupid kiss would have helped earlier today, she probably wouldn't have wanted me to. And I'm no where near as cool as a college kid, and his tattoos-- and his drumming ability. I made my way home in ten minutes flat, ignoring my mom I went straight to my room.
♠ ♠ ♠
So I hope Pete looks less like a jerk now that everybody knows where he's coming from.

Comment, subscribe, love a puppy.

And I suggest looking up Bad Kids by the Black Lips. It reminds me of what this character is about. Still edgey and unstable but underneath it all he's innocent and scared.