*** Mouse

Carrot Cake

"How'd it go, Lars?"

I shook my head. "There was a man. He was evil; I could smell his scent of hatred. He didn't care about Annie, he didn't! He doesn't love her like I do. My heart beats faster and faster when I watch her dance in her kitchen, ironing her blouses. She's so beautiful, Wink, you don't even understand. Well, do you, Wink? Have you ever been in love?"

I felt light-weight and carefree. Nothing would stop me from being with Annie. Nothing, not even the man who I wanted to kill tonight. My heart was thumping inside my small, furry chest and it wouldn't stop. It was like I had to think about Annie or else my heart would quit beating. She was my lifeline.

To my surprise, Wink answered, "Yeah. I've been in love."

Whoa. "With who? Tell me how it started."

"There was a lassie named Gertrude. She was the most beautiful cat I'd ever seen. Long black and white fur, always coated with gloss. Always. I could never take my eyes -- or my paws -- off of her. I think she loved me back. She would always purr and snuggle me while we slept." His eyes looked far away from this world. I didn't want to take him out of his good mood. Now I knew how being in love felt.

*****

It was a Thursday morning, but I was busy cleaning up the mess I had just made. I couldn't see Annie right now; she would probably be going outside to host a protest any minute now, anyway.

I pulled out the pocketbook with my teeth, opening it up, looking at the pictures. They were black and white and beautiful. Why were humans such wonderful looking creatures? Every single one of them had great features. Well, all the ones I killed plus Annie, anyway.

Oh Gosh, I missed her so dearly. My poor mouse heart was aching inside and I couldn't make it quit. I was so fucking lovesick.

"Men like you suck," I told Benjamin. Apparently that was his name; it was written on his official human card. "Men like you hurt women's hearts, like Annie hurts mine. Men like you pull in the women until she's in love, then drop her like she's filth. Well, I have news for you, punk. I'.m in love with a woman and she's in love with me," Tears were rushing down my cheeks now. "She is in love with me! She just..." I sniffled. "She just doesn't realize it yet. She doesn't have any idea I exist."

I missed Annie so much. Maybe I should just go to her protest today. It wouldn't hurt just to go to one. I needed to see everything Annie did in her life; I didn't want to miss a thing.

But I was really afraid.

*****

Screaming, shouting, cursing people everywhere I turned. I looked up to see them sitting on each other's shoulders, yelling for peace and holding signs of which I couldn't read.

I yelped as someone stepped on my tail. What the hell was I thinking? This was no place a mouse should be. But wait-- there she was: Annie. On a big stage yelling shit into a microphone. I had no idea what she was saying, but I knew every word was beautiful if it came out of such a wonderful lady.

Another person stepped on my tail, and another. I was going to have a tail spasm if I didn't get the fuck out of here.

I ran as fast as I could through the crowd, watching in horror as a lady's face looked sewn onto Annie's. It was like how Annie and the man were last night, except the lady wasn't tossing Annie around like she was a doll.

At least women treated her right. And that's why I didn't kill them. Well, I had other reasons. But that was a main one.

Finally, I got to the edge of the sidewalk near a sewage ditch. I didn't want to fall in, but I didn't want to be around all of these people anymore, either. I did want to keep seeing Annie though. She was so fascinating, although I had to admit she was even more so at her own home. Maybe that's where I should visit her only from now on, I thought to myself.

So I slowly headed back to where Wink was, a little discouraged for some reason. It seemed like all Annie did was grab someone's face and mush it into her own. Today her skirt was at her knees; everyone seemed very happy with it, except for some who seemed very hateful toward my love.

They could go die.