Status: Coming Soon

Lies

Kind

On that night I had been soaked through with rain water and shivering from the cold. I sat in front of a store window and clung to my arms for hope of gathering even the slightest amount of warmth.

"What are you doing out here? It's pouring and freezing out here dear."

An old woman had walked up to me with her umbrella above her head and coat around her body. She looked at me with pity in her eyes and all I could do was stare back up at her with chattering teeth and quivering lips.

"Come with me sweetheart. I'll get you cleaned up and give you a place to stay for the night. I'll even throw in a meal for you." she said.

"Thank you," I told her. "But I really couldn't burden you with my company. Your offer is very kind, but I must decline ma'am."

"Nonsense." she said. The woman had lifted her chin so now her nose was pointed upward. "You'll be of no burden and this is no trouble at all to me. Come now before the storm gets worse."

I had opened my mouth to talk, but quickly shut it when she took hold of my arm and rose me from my position.

We started to walk down the street and only about a block later she pulled me into a building.

"Ma'am," I said.

"Hmm?" she raised her eyebrows but kept her gaze down closing her umbrella.

"Thank you. You don't even know my name and you are being greatly kind to me. If I may ask, what is your name? Or the name that you wish of me to call you for the evening?"

"Oh dear, I am glad to help you and please call me Joyce."

I smiled at Joyce and followed her when she made the move to go to an open elevator.

Once we were inside she started to talk to me but all I could see were the faces of the others in the elevator. They all looked at me strangely as if to say 'You don't belong here. Leave.'

"Don't you think so sweetie?"

"Hmm? I'm sorry Joyce. I guess I just got lost in my thoughts for a moment. What were you saying?"

"I was saying that I think they should do something about this retched elevator. It smells off urine and has absolutely horrid music."

"Oh yes. I guess it does need to be touched up a little bit."

Ding.

"Oh come this way dear. This is our floor."

I followed her out the elevator and down the hallway to the last door on the left. Joyce pulled out her keys and quickly opened the door. As soon as she did so I was hit with the smell of sweet vanilla and strawberries.

"The bathroom is over that way so go ahead and get the shower running while I find you some dry clothes."

I did as she said and started the shower. Just as I was removing my shirt she walked through the door and had a pair of clothes in her hand. They were long sweat pants and a big t-shirt with the name 'Jack Daniels' on it. I took the clothes from her and thanked her as she left the room.

The water was warm and comforting when I stepped under it. For a moment I just stood there and let it run down my body then remembered that Joyce was probably waiting on me so I quickly hurried and got my business done.

When I stepped out of the bathroom in the borrowed clothes I was hit with a wave of delicious scented food. Walking toward the kitchen I saw Joyce pouring what looked like chicken noodle soup into a bowl.

"Here dear. Have a seat over there and I'll bring you a nice warm cup of cocoa to drink."

Taking the food and gingerly eating it I waited on the cocoa. While I was waiting Joyce came to the table and sat down beside me.

"So, you know my name but I've yet to learn yours." she said.

"Audrey. Audrey Lee ma'am."

"Well that is a lovely name."

I smiled and continued to eat. A minute later a ding was heard and Joyce got up coming back with a mug holding what I guessed to be the cocoa.

During my stay there we held conversation easily and laughed at stories we told each other.

When time came for bed I was led to a room that held a queen size bed and a large window.

"You can sleep here tonight dear. I hope you have a good sleep. Wake up early and I'll make you breakfast tomorrow." she smiled at me and wished me good night.

"Joyce." I said.

She turned around and I hugged her. I could tell she was taken back by this because for a moment she just stood there but soon I felt her arm wrap themselves around me.

"Thank you so much Joyce. You've been very kind to me."

"Yes well, it was the right thing to do and I'm glad I did so."

We released each other and said good night.

I crawled under the covers and was engulfed in their comfort and warmth. I soon went into the state of a nice, quiet, slumber not even a minute later.
♠ ♠ ♠
Here's a new one eh? Hope you enjoy!