‹ Prequel: Finding Her Voice

The Dark Asylum

Our Spot

I woke up to pounding on my door. I looked at Aiden's sleeping figure and panicked. He is not supposed to be in here. They'll lock him in his room if they knew he was here. I began to shake him awake. "Aiden, Sweetie you got to wake up," I whispered. He opened his eyes and I motioned for him to get in the closet. Then I hurried up and scrambled into bed.

I heard keys jingle and the door opening and I pretended to be asleep.

"Okay, she's asleep, and he's not in here."

I started to panic. I know they do tortuous things to people who don't follow the rules but I don't know what. Normally the ones who break the rules are confined to their rooms and are never seen again. I'm so worried. I need my teddy bear.

They locked the door and I listened for their footsteps to make sure they left. Then I got out of bed and let Aiden out. His face was ashen and the normally sparkling blue eyes were dull. We have to go. We left my room and ran down the halls when we saw a guard. Aiden ducked in a room but I stood there motionless and scared.

"What do you think your doing?" The guard asked me. I just stood there not talking, still to traumatize to talk to any one but Aiden. "Are you going to answer me?" he asked harshly. I just stood there. He raised his hand to hit me and I flinched when I heard Aiden's lovely voice.

"She doesn't talk." Then he signed to me:

'Say you have to go to the bathroom.'

I began to cry, then signed," I'm scared, Aiden."

"She says she just had to go to the bathroom and you're scaring her," Aiden said and gave him a dirty look. The guard walked down the hall. We headed towards where the bathroom is and waited till we knew it was safe. Aiden climbed on the toilet, squeezed through a little window that wasn't supposed to be there then, jumped down. I followed him but looked down. I've done this so many times, but I can't get over how high it is. I freaked out a little.

"Its okay, Baby, I'll catch you and you know it," he said. I smiled then closed my eyes and jumped. I bit my lip to prevent myself from screaming, and then landed in Aiden's arms.

We walked along the building, not worrying about being spotted because there are barely any windows. We strolled towards the lake that surrounded the place, almost like a mote. I took of my pants, Aiden his, and we looked for a big rock covered in moss in the water.

What we knew that the guards didn't is that this spot is the only spot at this lake where it's shallow enough to walk across. We began to walk in, the water reaching midway up my thigh. Man, was it ice cold tonight. We walked across in silence, being careful not to be seen. We reached the other end where there was a little forest. We walked towards the end where there were tall barbed fences that kept us in and them out.

Aiden sat on this huge rock and looked up at the dark sky. I went over towards him, sat on his lap, cuddling, and put my pants on . It was very cold.

"Emily, I have to tell you something," he said. I looked him in the eyes.

"What baby," I asked.

"It's about Mikey...."