We're Nothing Short of Invincible

[02]

Image

I leaned over the counter and stuck the guitar pick earring in the bottom of my ear which matched the necklace I was currently wearing. I sighed while putting my hand through my hair, messing it up. I put it in a low messy ponytail, then threw a dark green mosh hat on. I grabbed my ripped up leather jacket and slammed my door shut on the way out. "Becky where are you going?"

I turned my head to see my mother in the hallway, intently looked at me in question. "Out," I stated while closing the door behind me. I unclenched my fists as I walked down the broken road. She never calls me Beck, it's who I am. I'm not Becky anymore;it's not even remotely possible to be that person again.

I reached into my pocket and pulled out a pack of cigarettes and a lighter. I picked a cigarette out of the pack and put the rest back in my pocket. Lighting the cigarette I put it in my mouth and took a long drag. I blew out the smoky air as I put the lighter back in my pocket. Becky doesn't smoke. Beck's addicted.

I turned a corner which lead me into another one of the many alleyways in the city. "Nice to see you Beck," the man in the corner spoke.

"Hey Jeff," I said while walking up to him. I know Jeff from wandering the streets aimlessly. I met him about two years ago, he's 18 years old. One year older then me, he's also a high school dropout. Jeff always knows what party is going on and where; he has the info on anything I need. He also is the main seller of drugs in this stupid city.

"Want some?" he asked while holding up a white packet in my face. "You can have some for free this time if you want."

I shrugged, "Sure." He was about to hand it to me until I stopped him, "But you keep it, I'll come back when I actually want to use it."

"Fair enough," he nodded. "So what're you up to today?"

"Walking around town, I never have anything planned. You should know that," I replied.

He once again nodded, "True. You are going to The Exchange tomorrow right?" The Exchange is a place where local bands play. Sometimes bigger bands come there, but not often.

"Well obviously I am," I replied like he's stupid. "I'm playing there with those guys I met the other day remember."

"Oh yah, now I remember. What were there names again?"

"I don't know," I mumbled. "All I know is the three songs we are playing and that I'm playing guitar for all three, but also singing in one of them."

"Cool, I might just make an appearance then." I wouldn't call Jeff my friend, just a person who informs me of a lot of things. I hardly know him, but he may just be the closet person to me. Pretty sad when the closest person to you is a person you hardly care about, just know.

"Nice. Well I'll see yah."

"Bye Beck," he said as he watched me walk out the other end of the alleyway. I was walking down the cracked sidewalk, and then I turned a sharp corner. Immediately the unexpected happened, a car drove right at me. I jumped out of the way, scraping my face against the hot pavement. The car screeched to a stop as I got up. I spun around to look at the driver of the car and I had no idea who he was. I clenched my fists as I watched him turn the car just a bit, so he had better access for hitting me straight on. I wasn't sure if he was going to come at me again, but I wasn't waiting to find out.

I spun back around and sprinted as fast as I could. Other cars paid no attention to the girl running down the middle of the street and being chased by some random beat up car. People on the sidewalk watched, but nobody even tried to help. I could hear the car right behind me; there was no way I could outrun it. I seem to have a thing with getting chased by cars; maybe I should use my car so I wouldn't get stuck trying to run from things…. My thoughts were interrupted by a gunshot that fired in the air and I saw it hit the ground in front of me. Any bystanders that were nearby screamed and ran to hide. I turned a corner just in time to miss another gunshot. "This isn't fun!" I quickly yelled to myself. The car that was chasing me didn't have enough time to turn as quick as I did. Instead of turning it slammed into a tree. Against my better judgment I stopped running and looked to see the wreckage. The guy in the car jumped out his smashed window and stumbled to the ground. As he got up he glared at me, I slowly took a few steps back.

"What the hell is wrong with you?" I boldly yelled to him.

"You, Miss Beck Dalle. You're what's wrong with me," he slurred.

Oh great, he's drunk...

The man looked to be about mid 40's to his early 50's. His scruffy beard matched his messed up hair. His eyes were bloodshot, either from drugs, crying, or a hangover. I wouldn't be surprised if it was all three. I could hear cop car sirens in the distance; never in my life did I think I would be happy to hear that sound.

"What did I ever do to you?" I snapped.

"What did, what did you ever do to me!" he laughed. "You were born that's what!" I raise my eyebrows in question. This dude is nuts. "If you weren't born I might have had a better chance with you mother!" Oh god, that's what it's about. Some crazy guy hung up on my mother for 17 years. Hmm, just awesome. "I was better then your father, she should have married me!" he yelled. Anger struck me at the mention of this waste of breath thinking he could ever be better then my father.

"And how will running me over or shooting me help!" I yelled while glancing in the direction of the cop cars straight ahead. A few more seconds and they'll be here.

"I don't know," he laughed, "but it'll make me feel better." He pulled a gun out of his back pocket and pointed it in my direction. He turned off the safety and went to pull the trigger….BANG!

His body fell to the ground. I glanced over and saw about five cops run up to him, making sure he was down for the count. I sighed in relief as I looked upon my unharmed self. After patting myself down I nodded my head in conformation that I wasn't hit. "Are you ok?" asked a cop that just walked up to me.

I nodded while smiling. You know the smile that's forced upon a child's face when they get something they didn't want for Christmas, but didn't want to seem rude. Well that was the look on my face.

He nodded, "Do you know why that man was shooting at you?" I was getting aggravated with this cop; I would rather not be interrogated. I wasn't the one with the gun!

"Just some psycho that was hung up over my mother and wanted to kill me because that's why she isn't with him." I shrugged, "Not that big of a story." While almost laughing at the cop's expression I turned around and went to walk away.

"Wait! I need to ask you more questions Miss."

I groaned, "No thanks. That's all I know about what happened, your job to deal with it." I walked down the street and left the scene. I spit on the ground and looked down at the blood that came out of my mouth. I must have bit my cheek or something when I hit the pavement. I put my hand to my face and I realized my cheek was bleeding from when I slid across the pavement. "Wonderful," I muttered while wiping my blood on the ground. I was almost twenty feet from the cops until I heard someone calling my name.

"Beck! Hey Beck slow down!" I turned around to find myself almost crashing into the guy that helped me out of the fence the other day. The same one that I threw against the lockers. I should probably learn his name. "Are you ok?" he asked me.

"If you're talking about getting a gun pointed in my direction or almost getting hit by a car, oh yah I'm fine," I told him, "just a little blood." I sighed, "If you're talking about something else, my answer might be different."

"What do you mean?" he cocked his head to the side.

"Nothing, never mind," I shook my head. I stopped walking and he followed my actions. "Ok, who the hell are you?"

"What?" he looked startled by my sudden outburst.

"You somehow seem to be around when I'm in some sort of trouble. You seem to know my name, so I think I should be able to know yours."

"Ian, my name's Ian Hudson," he explained.

"Well then Ian, why do you care if I'm ok or not? Why are you even talking to me?" I snapped.

He quietly laughed while shrugging, "Just wanted to get to know the all-mighty Beck Dalle."

"Well you don't ok," I snapped. "Nobody wants to, or needs to get to know me for that matter. So just bug off." I continued to walk away.

"Hard to get, I like that!" he yelled to me. I gritted my teeth as I continued to walk away. By Ian's appearance some people might say he looks like 'my type'. And as much as I don't want to admit, I guess I could consider him to be good looking. But how he acts, I'm better then you and I can get any girl, it's just annoying. I didn't know his name before, but now I realize I've heard it. Rumours about his one night stands with girls and dates with other ones. Pathetic, I don't need someone like that to be happy, to feel free. Drugs, parties, and smoking is good enough for me. Well, that doesn't sound so great to other people, but it's the truth.
♠ ♠ ♠
Chapter 2! Thoughts?

xxx