She Was Fading

Year.

It’s been a year since Caroline has passed. Michael once tried to tell me what disease she had but I don’t want to know. It doesn’t matter why she died, all that matters is that she lived.
I’m still friends with Michael. He comes to my house every day. He doesn’t like it at home anymore because his parents are getting a divorce.

Crow and I still hang out sometimes, but he works at some big corporate job now and lives at his own place with his girlfriend Amy. He’s been sober for four months.

Roon and Ellie are happy. Gabriel is healthy and his heart problem is fixed. He said his first word yesterday; “Mama.”

Stella and I got married in November like we planned. We still live in the same apartment I had when I moved to New York and I think it will stay that way.

Some days I don’t think about Caroline like I used to. It used to kill me inside when I realized it; like the wound of her death was cut fresh again. But I know its okay because even though she isn’t always in my thoughts, she’ll always me in my heart.

Everyday I try to do something to make sure I’m happy, and I remember it’s the small things in life that mean the most. That’s just one thing I’ve learned from Caroline.