Status: In Progress

The Beach

It was late May when my parents informed me that we’d be going on a real vacation for a month and half in the summer. They sat me down in the kitchen and told me about the plans to travel to Beverly Hills, California, but only if I finished the year with good grades. I was fairly certain that my grades wouldn’t matter to them either way when it came to the vacation because they wanted to go, but I kept up my grades as usual.

I had never been to California before. I had never even been to the west coast. Actually, I’d never been off of the east coast. We never really traveled anywhere for vacation, and this was a big deal. No one really gave me a reason for the trip, so I guess my parents just thought it was time we did something.

Of course, it had been a dream of mine for 5 years to leave little old Virginia. I always had the feeling that I was meant for so much more than the small-town life. I wanted people to know me all over the world, I wanted to see new people everyday, and I wanted to be able to go somewhere new all the time.

School let out on June 16, but my last day was actually June 14. We packed up and left on June 15, and it took us about 2-3 days to get there, considering we stopped and slept instead of driving for 40 hours straight. We arrived at the Beverly Hilton, went to our room, and unpacked everything. My parents went down to the Lobby Lounge for some Starbucks, and I headed to the Aqua Star Pool to begin the best summer of my life.