She Fell For The Boy Next Door

Seventh Chapter

Cale returned to school the following week with Alice tight by his side. Word had gotten round quickly that Cale Vreeland couldn’t talk, and kids lined up to stare at him. Cale smiled good naturedly and left the aggravated reproaches to Alice. Teachers avoided speaking to him, also refraining from making any eye contact with him.
Alice was able to stay with Cale all day because her time table had been rescheduled to match his. He was happier that way. Facial expressions and hand gestures had to be paid more attention to now that Cale couldn’t say anything. School days passed slowly and days off were welcomed and enjoyed more than ever. Alice spent all of her free time with Cale, sometimes bringing Cassi with her if she was needed to babysit. She watched how gentle Cale acted with Cassi, letting her climb all over him as if he were a human playground.

Summer arrived sooner than expected and Alice was over at Cale’s as soon as she was dressed. Cale was still in bed, though sitting up and reading. He grinned when he saw her and flung back the covers, gesturing at his lap. Alice slipped off her tan boots and clambered onto him. Her back was against his bare chest with her head tucked beneath his chin. Cale reached for Alice’s hands, twisting his fingers through hers and kissing the back of her neck. Alice could hear and feel Cale’s breathing moving her hair and smiled. He shifted suddenly, grabbing a ring bound notebook off his bedside table. A pen appeared in his hand and he scribbled something on a page in his messy black scrawl. Once he was done, Cale put the pen away and passed the notebook to Alice. What she read surprised her and sent her brain into overdrive.
I want a baby Cale had written.
Alice turned her head to look at Cale, her eyes confused and wide.
Cale tapped his index finger on the bottom of the page and Alice’s eyes were drawn to another small amount of writing there.
With you the words said.
Alice stared at him, slightly shocked, even scared. A shy smile spread across Cale’s face and he blinked innocently at her.
Alice climbed carefully off his lap and stood awkwardly on the carpet, twisting her hands self consciously in front of her. Cale got out of bed, standing before her, wearing an expression of concern. He raised his hands, palms up, in front of him.
‘What’s wrong?’
Alice sighed and closed her eyes, shaking her head slowly.
“Cale, I have never wanted children. I still don’t” she said.
Cale tilted his head.
“Ever” Alice said softly.
Cale stared at her, his eyes revealing a wounded soul. He snatched up his notebook and pen, and wrote one more word, showing it to Alice.
‘Abortion?’
Alice looked at him and shrugged.
Cale turned his back on her and she saw his shoulders beginning to shake convulsively.
Too late, Alice remembered that Cale’s mom had at first considered aborting him. The subject always made him upset even though he knew Emily loved him. She wrapped her arms around his waist, turning him so she could see his face.
Cale was strong, but his feelings were sensitive and at that moment, his feelings were in the form of crystal tears on his face.
Alice’s heart melted and she kissed his cheek, running her fingertips through his hair.
“I’m sorry, Cale. Honey, you know I love you more than anything” she murmured.
Cale pulled out of her embrace and picked up the notebook for the third time.
Then why won’t you give me a baby?
Alice frowned.
“Babies aren’t delivered by storks, Cale Thomas Vreeland!” she snapped.
Cale poked his tongue out at her, but a small smile replaced his own upset frown. He grabbed Alice’s waist and pulled her tight against him. Her nose was barely two centimetres from the center of Cale’s chest.
“Hmph” she grunted.
Cale gently lifted Alice’s chin up and pressed his mouth onto hers. She smiled into his kiss, feeling Cale’s nose brushing hers. Cale gently captured Alice’s bottom lip between his teeth and tugged, then stepped back from her, grinning at the surprised expression on her face. He put his index fingers and thumbs together to make a love heart, indicating that he loved Alice. Alice smiled again and nodded.
“I love you, too” she replied.

Three years ahead

Alice was heading to college at the University of California and Cale was taking a job in a local band, performing at bars and such. They would be at least 2576 miles apart from each other, the first time they’d truly been apart since the day they met.
Cale sat in the middle of Alice’s bed, watching listlessly while she packed her belongings, getting ready to fly away from him. She moved about hurriedly, impatiently shoving her red hair behind her ears. She finally wrestled her last suitcase into closing and slumped on the floor. Alice rested her head in her hands and shut her eyes. A piece of lined paper landed in her lap; she unfolded it and read it.
I already miss you, baby.
Alice knelt up and looked at Cale, smiling sadly at her. He spread his arms wide, but before Alice could get to him, her dad entered her bedroom.
“Time to go” he told her, nodding at Cale.
Alice sighed heavily and stood up, holding her hand out to Cale; he took it and pushed himself off Alice’s bed, following her out the door while Jared grabbed the luggage.
They drove to the airport, Alice checked in, separated her hand luggage from the suitcases and duffel bag, and then sat in the departing area, waiting for her flight to be called. She’d been to California once before, with Cale. Now she would be going all on her own.
All three of them jumped when the intercom system announced that Alice’s flight was boarding.
Alice hugged her father then turned round and stared up into Cale’s face. He seemed to be trying to memorize her from head to toe, as if he was afraid he might one day forget what she looked like. Cale opened his arms again and Alice walked into them on unsteady feet. He held onto her tightly, her head on his left shoulder. Cale’s warm tears fell onto Alice’s hair and he sniffed hard. Jared coughed suggestively, but Alice ignored him, clinging to Cale’s broad shoulders.
Cale gradually pulled away, staring into Alice’s eyes before he lowered his head and kissed her, his mouth moving urgently on hers. He moved his head away and kissed her swiftly, once, twice, three times, in quick succession.
At last, Alice stepped away from Cale, his wistful longing clear in his emerald eyes.
She memorized the width of his shoulders, the green of his eyes, the dark hair falling over his forehead, the set of his mouth as he held back more tears, even the way his jeans settled on his hips….and then she walked away from him.