Status: Readers: 599; Subscribers: 136; Comments: 92 ; 10 stars!

It Was Only a Kiss

Penguins and Hockey

Once Jimmy's sniffling ceased, Sophie managed to pry herself away from her broken friend to make a breakfast of the sorts. She grabbed Jimmy's poptarts, and then simply tossed in four pieces of toast for her and Brian. Once they popped, she slathered on some butter and returned to the living room. She handed Jimmy his breakfast, and Brian his, then sat down on the couch and began munching on her food.

"When you guys are finished, I think it might be time for you to go. I don't want to sound like a bitch, but I kind of need some alone time." Sophie said quietly. She never liked making her best friends leave her home, but she needed them to. She wouldn't be able to think with them causing a ruckus.

"Of course, Soph, you just tell us when," Jimmy chuckled. "We've probably deprived your house of enough food already."

She smiled at that and nodded. "This is true, Jimbo."

Brian chuckled as well. It was a very true statement; they both had bottomless pits for stomachs, so whenever they came over Sophie always needed to go to the supermarket whenever they left. She didn't mind too much, though.

Everyone ate in silence, and when Brian finished, he got up and silently put his plate in the sink. "Thanks for the food, Soph. I'm really sorry about your birthday; next year we'll make it better," he flashed her a smile, "promise."

Soph grinned and nodded. "I trust ya, BriBri." She replied with a nod. Jimmy then got up and put his empty plate in the sink as well, and then stood by the door. "Bye Jimmy, I'll probably talk to both of you later." Sophie said as they started out the door.

"Bye Soph," they both said at once.

Once the door had closed, Sophie immediately let out a huge sigh of relief. She adored her friends, but sometimes she just needed time alone. As much as talking out problems was helpful, in her mind, it didn't compare with going over it in her head a million times. Sophie's the type of person who will mull over a subject for days before deciding on something. It sometimes drew the boys crazy.

"I need a fucking shower," she mumbled to herself. Her clothing clung uncomfortably to her skin; the previous night it was nice, but it wasn't now.

Sophia got up and tossed her dirty plates in the sink, then headed towards the bathroom. Once she had the door locked behind her, she turned the water up so steam started filling the room, and then stripped down.

The hot water that hit her skin immediately jolted her awake, and it caused Sophie to sigh. All of the conversations were coming at her like a tidal wave, and she felt like her head was about to explode. She couldn't live without Brian, but what if he wouldn't be able to keep going with their friendship if he had to see her with other guys? What if his feelings stopped and she developed them? There were a slew of 'what ifs' popping into her head, but none seemed likely.

Then again, the whole situation seemed unlikely.

Sophia groaned when Zacky's face popped into her head. With him, everything seemed so much easier. There was no looming fear of ruining an important relationship; she did love her friendship with Zacky, however it was nothing compared to what she had with Brian. She could see herself with Zack before Brian, and that possibility was driving her crazy as well.

Sophie shook her head as water cascaded through her hair. "Jesus Christ, why me?" she muttered into the palms of her hands.

She glanced around her shower before grabbing the bottle of shampoo and continuing with her shower rituals. She shampooed her hair, then let some conditioner sit in it before rinsing it out. Then she scrubbed her body with a cherry-scented soap, and she was done. Unlike most women, it didn't take her an hour just in the shower.

Once she was out, Sophie wrapped a towel around her body and headed towards her room. Once inside, Soph picking out a pair of capri sweatpants, and a plain t-shirt that proudly declared "I ♥ Vodka" and slipped on her favorite penguin slippers. Ever since her teenage years, Sophie had a fascination with penguins, and the childish love continued on. She practically had a penguin item for everything; penguin slippers, cups, pillow pet, everything. She tied her hair back in a ponytail, then looked around her bureau for nail polish.

For some reason, painting her nails had become sort of a soothing act for Sophia. Whenever she had a lot on her mind, she found herself painting her nails and toenails. Finally she found a purple color, a top coat and base, then headed for the living room. Not planning on leaving the house anytime soon, she didn't bother with make up.

Sophie flopped down on the couch and put a pillow on her lap. She laid her hand out flat on the pillow and opened her base coat nail polish and started swiping the liquid over her nails. Once that was done, she carefully opened the purple polish and started at her nails.

"I can't believe how weird I am sometimes," she mused out loud. "I'm a mess and I paint my nails; makes sense, totally," she chuckled as she ran the brush over her thumb. "But maybe it helps. It gets my mind off of things. Although I'm talking to myself now, which means I'm totally crazy," she laughed.

Sophia sat in silence for a few more minutes as she finished up with her left hand. She carefully switched her hands and slowly started at the opposite hand. Just as she finished up with her first finger, there was a knock at the door.

Sophie glanced up at the door and glared. Whoever was on the other side was really going to irritate her. "Come in!" She called and looked back down at her nails.

The door opened and in popped a Brian. "Didn't I just send you away?" Sophie laughed, though she didn't look up from her hands.

Brian smiled and nodded. "Yeah, yeah you did, but I don't know what to do with myself," he admitted.

"Go hang out with the guys," she suggested casually. "I probably look like crap right now anyways."

Brian chuckled and shook his head. "You don't, Soph. You look great, actually." He walked over and smiled at her attire. "You look like you for the first time since we got back. Hockey pants and penguin slippers; that's my Sophie."

She looked up at him and smiled. "Well, I'm glad. I still have my penguin obsession, that never went away," she informed him with a nod.

He chuckled. "Didn't think it would."

Sophie nodded and kept at her nails, trying her best not to look up at her friend. "So, why did you really come back to hang here?" She inquired.

"I dunno, really," he replied with a shrug.

Sophie nodded absentmindedly. "Zacky told me what's really going on," she state flat-out.

Brian sighed and rubbed the back of his neck. "Figured he would," he muttered, a bit darkly. "Are you totally weirded out by this now?" He asked.

Sophie simply shrugged. "I honestly don't know what to think, Bri. I don't want to ruin our friendship, and I feel like either decision could ruin everything," she admitted. "That's why I was hoping for some alone time."

A somewhat awkward silence fell upon the room. Sophie kept her eyes glued to her nails, which were slowly becoming purple. Brian's eyes fell on Sophie, watching her carefully work at her little job. Sophie didn't know what to say; there was a million things she could, but the words couldn't seem to form. Brian, however, was too afraid to speak. He was terrified that unraveling his true feelings would make her go running.

"For coming back so soon, you're awfully quiet," Sophie managed to pipe up.

Brian shrugged, even though he knew she wasn't looking at him. "Yeah, I know. I'm really sorry about this whole situation, Soph. I hope you know that."

She glanced up at him and sighed. "I know you didn't want this to happen, BriBri. It's just really hard for me. It's easier for you because I'm not the one on tour all the time and all that jazz. Plus you don't constantly worry about me like I do about you."

"Oh, really? I don't worry about you?" Brian challenged with a raised eyebrow. "You have no idea what crazy thoughts run through my mind about you. I'm terrified that you'll get hurt by some asshole and kill yourself; I'm afraid that you'll get in a car accident while I'm away and no one will tell me. I'm afraid of a lot of things, Soph."

She gently bit her lip and nodded. "Thanks, Brian."

Another silence filled the room, although this one was much less awkward.

"How about three months?"

Sophie looked up at Brian with a raised eyebrow. "Huh?"

"Give me three months. Three months to make you realize that we could really work, and that our friendship won't get ruined by this." The hope in his voice was rather evident, and it pulled at Sophie's heart.

Sophie's grip on her lip tightened. "Zack said he wouldn't mind giving us a shot either," she blurted out.

Brian didn't say anything for a moment. "I'm sure he did."

Sophie raised an eyebrow. "You're not mad about that?"

He shrugged. "I know Zack. He doesn't fuck girls just to fuck them, unless they're tour girls. You must mean something to him; more than he let's on," Brian informed her with a nod. "Did you say yes to him?"

Sophie shook her head quickly. "No, no I didn't. I have a lot of considering to do." She answered.
Brian nodded, a wave of relief rushing over him. "So, what do you say to my three month deal?"

Sophie once again bit down on her bottom lip. "Brian, three months is a long time..."

"Three months is nothing for people like us, Soph. Please. Nothing will be truly official until the end of the third month, I promise."

Sophie let out a deep sigh. "Brian, I really don't know—"

"Yes or no?"

Sophie looked up at him and at his chocolate brown eyes. The sincerity in them was murdering her, and she knew what her answer was.

"Brian, I will take your three month challenge. However, if things don't work out, we better stay friends, and you will not guilt me into dating you past these three months."

He grinned. "I would never."
♠ ♠ ♠
Sooo, what do you guys think? WILL THE THREE MONTH CHALLENGE WORK?!

alsom this is Sophie's outfit.