Status: WORKING ON IT

This Love Will Be Our Downfall

Vierzehn

I answered my phone after the first ring. It was her.

“Hey, it’s me.” Katey said.

I smiled. “I take it you got the flowers?”

“They are gorgeous. But you didn’t have to.”

“I had to show you that I cared, I know it was just flowers. But still.”

I heard her laugh. “It’s the thought that counts?”

“Exactly. So did you just call to thank me for the flowers?”

“Well, no. I actually wanted to know if you wanted to meet for dinner. The leftovers in our fridge are looking kinda old and Lizzie is heading over to Patrick’s place here shortly.”

“Sure. Wanna meet up at The Berghoff?”

“Give me 20.” She said before hanging up.

Twenty minutes later, I was standing outside waiting for her to show when I saw her running down the street.

“Sorry I’m a bit late.”

I smiled and opened the door for her. “It’s fine, shall we go eat?”

After ordering our food, she sat back in her chair and sighed.

“I have some serious questions and you must answer them. Deal?”

I nodded “Okay. Hit me with your best shot.”

“What’s my favorite color?”

I laughed. “Are you serious?”

“If you don’t want to answer them, I can just leave.” She said as she went to get up.
I put my hand on her arm. “It’s green, but not just a normal green, a light green.”

She looked at me and sat back down. “Favorite book.”

I stared into her eyes. “Anything by Nicholas Sparks, but you are also quite fond of ‘Girl with the Dragon Tattoo’.”

“Favorite city.”

I smiled. “I wish it was Chicago, but it is Pittsburgh, not just because you grew up there but because of the traditions and familiarity of the city.”

“Why did I decide to stay in Chicago?”

I looked at her intently. “To be closer to Lizzie during her pregnancy.”

She shook her head. “No. She doesn’t need me here.”

“Change of scenery?”

“Nope. I miss Pittsburgh too much.”

“Better job opportunities?”

“No, I actually had another job lined up back home.”

“Big fight with the roommate and had to get away before someone realized you killed her?”

She laughed. “No, she is still alive and kicking.”

“Oh I know! Better hockey team!”

She threw her straw wrapper at me. “Keep dreaming.”

“Well shit, I am out of ideas. Why did you decide to stay?”

She smiled. “That I cannot disclose that. If I told you that, well I would have to kill you.”

I laughed. “So what is with all the questions?”

She took a bite out of her sandwich. “No reason. Just figuring out how well you really know me.”

“Well how is this: I know you well enough to know you love walking aimlessly when you are stressed or thinking, you hate most vegetables, but will eat corn, you are secretly obsessed with horror films, your parents are divorced, mom lives in upstate New York teaching second grade and dad, who is one of the best plastic surgeons in the United States, lives in Florida with his new wife, you have a younger sister in college in Ohio studying history, and when you were little you wanted to be a prima ballerina.”

She stopped eating. “You remember all of that?”

“I remember all of that and so much more.”

“But why?”

“Cause, honestly, I am in love with you Katey.”