Status: WORKING ON IT

This Love Will Be Our Downfall

Neun

I woke up the next morning to the smell of something wonderful coming from the kitchen. I opened my eyes and realized I was alone on the couch. I looked around worried when I saw Brent walking out of the kitchen with a tray of food.

He smiled. “I didn’t want to wake you up, so I made us some breakfast.”

He put the tray on the table in front of me. It was loaded with blueberry pancakes, eggs, and bacon. My stomach grumbled.

“I didn’t think we had all this food in the condo.” I said as I took a piece of bacon off the tray and ate it.

“Well, you didn’t. I woke up really early, so I ran to the market and picked some stuff up.”

I gave him a hug and a kiss. “Thank you. This is probably the best breakfast I have had since I got here.”

He laughed. “Well, I have some bad news. I won’t be able to enjoy it with you cause I have to run to practice.”

I groaned. “Really? I can’t keep you to be my food slave?”

He rolled his eyes. “No. But how about I take you out for lunch after practice?”

“Sure. I will just meet you somewhere.”

“How about Eleven City Diner around 11:30?”

I smiled. “Sounds good.”

After he left, I devoured the food in front of me, and oh my god it was delicious. I laid around for another hour then went to go get ready to start the day.

After taking a shower, I decided to call Lizzie. It rang three times and went to voicemail.

Weird. She usually answers.

As I was doing my hair, my phone started to buzz.

Tazer calling.

“Hey Jon. What’s going on?”

“There’s been an accident.” Jon said in a serious tone.

I froze. “What happened Jon.”

“Lizzie went ice skating and fell. How fast can you get to UIC?”

“I’ll be there in five.” I hung up with him and dashed out the door.

As I was in the cab, I called Brent.

“Hey babe.”

“Brent. I have to cancel lunch. Something happened to Lizzie. I’m on my way to UIC now.”

“Oh shit. You want me to meet you there?”

I gave a small smile. “Thanks but not now. I will call you if I need you.”

“Okay. Call me if you need anything.”

“Okay bye.” I smiled and hung up the phone.

As I walked into the ER, I saw Tazer sitting there. I walked over to him and he stood as he saw me.

I looked at him with a scared look in my eye. “What exactly happened Jon and why isn’t Kane here?”

He sighed and told me the whole story, from last night until when he found Lizzie on the ice. My blood started to boil and I cursed outloud.

We heard someone walk up to us and I looked up to see Kane.

That motherfucker.

“YOU STUPID MOTHER FUCKER!” I yelled as I went to slap him.

“Ow!” He said touching my cheek. 

“You are such a fucking idiot! I fucking hate you so much! You scum bag. WHY WOULD DO SUCH A THING!” Jon grabbed me before I swung on Patrick again. 

“I didn’t do anything!” Patrick said. 

“If anything happens to that baby that is blood on your hands Patrick not Lizzie’s!” I said squirming around trying to get out of Jon’s grip. “All you do is care about yourself you fucker. You think about Patrick Kane and only Patrick Kane. Grow some fucking balls and act like a man!” I yelled. “I don’t know what my best friend sees in you, but you are a sketchy mother fucker who is an asshole. You don’t care about that baby, and so stop trying to convince her you do.”

Right then the doctor came out.

“Um pardon me is there someone that could make medical choices for Miss Czech. Family?”

Jon spoke up. “No. We’re all her friends and that is her boyfriend.”

The doctor turned to Patrick. “Are you the father of the baby?”

He nodded. “Yeah. Are they okay?”

“We did an ultrasound with the impact of the fall there was possible chance there could have been a placenta abruption.” He was explaining. That didn’t sound good at all. 

The nurse mode in me kicked in. “But there wasn’t correct?

“No, nothing like that happened to the baby. It is still in there. It is very healthy, by the way. However, the baby could still be at some risk.” The doctor said. 

Patrick gulped. “Really?”

“This is where you come in. Miss Czech is unconscious right now. We need to take x-rays. We can’t legally take an x-ray of her without the consent of someone. There is a risk that from an x-ray can harm the baby, but that risk is very low.” 

Hold the fucking phone.

“And you are giving him the right to choose? I am practically family for christ’s sake!”

The doctor nodded. “I understand. But it is his son or daughter. I’ll give you some time to think it over, but remember time is of the essence.”

As the doctor left, Patrick sat down in one of the chairs with his head in his hands.

I stared at him. “You have no right making this decision. You are the reason we are even here.”

He looked up at me. “You are right. I am a fuck up. I don’t deserve to decide what happens to her or the baby. So what do you think we should do?”

“As her friend that wants to kick your ass or as a nurse?”

He rolled his eyes. “I need a professional opinion right now, Katey.”

I thought for a minute. “She needs the x-ray. There is no question about that. I am sure they will take every precaution necessary to make sure the baby isn’t harmed.”

He sighed and nodded. We all stood there for a couple minutes before Jon said he would go tell the doctor the decision.

As we sat there waiting for the results of the x-ray, my phone went off.

Text from: Brent

Everything okay?


I felt my eyes tear up.

Text to: Brent

No. Lizzie went ice skating cause Kane almost cheated on her, or did I don’t know, and she fell. The doc said the baby was okay. But he didn’t know the extent of her injuries yet.


Text from: Brent
I am on my way.

I looked up from my phone just in time to see the doctor coming in. We all stood up hoping for good news.

“Well I have some good news. It seems that the extent of her injuries are only a couple broken ribs. But when she is released, she will need to take it easy for a few weeks, just to make sure everything is set okay and the baby is fine.”
We all let out a collective sigh.

Patrick spoke up first. “Is she awake yet?”

The doctor nodded. “Yes of course, but we do allow only one visitor at a time.”

I glared at Patrick before stepping forward. “Which room is she in?”

As I walked into the room, I saw Lizzie propped up in bed, looking out the window. I started to cry.

“Do not ever do that to me again understand me? And why didn’t you call me when you found out about Patrick?”

“Jon told me Brent had to fix something and I figured it was with you. I am so sorry Katey. I made a bad decision.”

I shook my head. “I don’t blame you. I blame that asshole who is sitting out in the waiting room right now.”

She gave me a look. “Oh my god. Why?”

“Probably because he is worried about you and the baby. I cannot believe he did this. All he cares about is himself. Such a fucking prick.”

“Katey. I love him. But I don’t know anymore. Like, if he did it once, it is bound to happen again right?” She started to tear up.

“God. I don’t know hun. Let’s just focus on getting you home and back to normal before we worry about his punk ass.”

We chatted for a few minutes about what would take place when we got home, when she asked about last night.

“So I take it you and Brent talked?”

I smiled. “Yeah. He broke up with Hanna.”

Her eyes lit up. “No way. It’s about time he did something right.”

I laughed. “We fought and then decided to just take things slow. I don’t want to rush into it and feel like his rebound. Oh, and he made me breakfast. Like pancakes, eggs, the whole she-bang. I died and went to heaven this morning.”

She laughed. “Sorry I’m not that good of a cook.”

I nudged her arm. “Nah. You are good when you are actually home.”

We joked around for a few more minutes before I left the room and walked back to the waiting room and saw Brent sitting with Jon and Patrick. I went to go sit by him and put my head on his shoulder.

He put his arm around me. “How is she doing?”

“Okay I guess. She should be allowed out of here in an hour or so.”

Patrick looked at me with questioning eyes. “Am I allowed in there?”

I glared at him. “I cannot stop you. But I swear to god Kane if you hurt her more than you already have. I will hunt you down and murder you.”

He jumped out of his chair and ran to her room.

I swear to god Kane. You are hanging on by a thread.