Status: in progress

Impossible or Improbable

chapter 3

"Matt? Send Rajesh something, would you? He's going mad down there. Not alcohol" Yvonne says approaching Matt at his computer station.

She returns to her office followed by the girl. A member of staff approaches Adeola and hands her a print of some kind. She smiles her thanks and places them in a file. She then glances over at Gareth, who is sitting at a computer across the room from her, and types into some kind of instant messaging program.

"God I'm bored."

Gareth's computer bleeps as he receives the message. He looks over at her, and they smile cheekily at each other. He types:

"Me too yawn"

"Fancy a coffee?"

"Though u never ask :-)"

Adeola grins. Gareth stands and approaches Yvonne, who is deep in conversation with two others.

"Yvonne"

Yvonne gives him her attention.

"I'm gonna double check the stats... just in case"

"Sure" she nods, he leaves. Adeola stands and approaches Yvonne.

"Yvonne, I'm gonna go and cross reference the levels with the sphere"

"Okay, fine" Adeola also leaves. Yvonne turns back to the girl.

"And they think we haven't noticed" They laugh and go on their way.

Gareth pulls Adeola down a deserted corridor - it looks as though it is being revamped. Plastic curtains section part of it off.

"Come on... it'll be all right down here. Just two minutes" Gareth says.

"This is out of bounds" Adeola says uneasily.

"Yeah... and that's the point! It's completely safe. They're just building new offices" he shrugs.

"What about the workmen?" she asks.

"They must be allocated somewhere else"

"It's not worth it for a snog" she tells him.

"It is" Gareth laughs and tries to pull her through the curtains "Come on...!"

But Adeola, although smiling, is reluctant. Gareth lets go of her hand with a "Tssk!" and disappears through the curtains alone. Two workmen come and carry a ladder away. Adeola waves casually at them, trying to look as though she's supposed to be there. After a few moments-

"Gareth" She presses up against the curtain.

"Now don't be daft, where've you gone" no reply "Gareth? Look, I'm gonna head back, I'm seeing you tonight anyway... Gareth" Tentatively, she walks through the curtains.

"I'm gonna go back to work" No reply. She walks further within the curtains, pushing them aside.

"This is it... I'm going... see ya..." When there's still no answer, she abandons all pretence. Her voice grows high in fear.

"Now stop it, Gareth! I'm not kidding, just stop it" She spots a shadowy figure on the other side of a curtain.

"Sorry, I'm just looking for my friend... did anyone come down here?" The figure gives no reply. Adeola pulls the curtain aside - to reveal a Cyberman, who advances. She screams.

Rose, holding a newspaper, strides into the TARDIS where the Doctor is as usual, wedged under the console.

"According to the paper, they've elected a ghost as MP for Leeds" she peers down at him "Now don't tell me you're gonna sit back and do nothing"

The Doctor suddenly pops up from underneath the grilling, bopping insanely and accompanied by the tune of Ghostbusters. He's holding an odd looking device in one hand and wearing a rucksack.

"Who're you gonna call?"

"Ghostbusters" Rose laughs.

"I ain't afraid of no ghosts" He leaves the TARDIS, Rose following him and giggling.

At the park Jackie's waiting for them outside. He arranges three cone devices in a triangle shape.

"When's the next shift?" he asks her.

"Quarter to" she say checking her watch "But don't go causing trouble. What's that lot do" Jackie asks.

"Triangulates their point of origin"

"I don't suppose it's the Gelth?" Rose asks thoughtfully.

"Nah" the Doctor shakes his head.

Rose shakes her head as though this was the answer she was expecting.

"They were just coming through one little rift. This lot are transposing themselves over the whole planet. Like tracing paper"

"You're always doing this" Jackie says angrily "Reducing it to science. Why can't it be real" he ignores her "Just think of it, though... all the people we've lost - our families coming back home. Don't you think it's beautiful"

The Doctor pauses in his work, meeting her eyes for the first time.

"I think it's horrific"

Jackie looks mildly shocked.

"Rose, give us a hand" He starts unwinding a cable, leading it though into the TARDIS, Rose following.

He plugs it into the console. Jackie steps inside and closes the door behind her.

"As soon as it becomes activated, if that line goes into the red, press that button there. If it doesn't stop"

He brandishes the sonic screwdriver under Rose's nose, who goes cross-eyed trying to focus on it.

"Setting 15B, hold it against the port, eight seconds and stop" he continues.

"15B, eight seconds" she nods.

"If it goes into the blue, activate the deep scan on the left" he tells her.

"Hang on a minute, I know" She leans over the console, pointing out a button. "It's that one"

"Mm, close"

"That one?" she points at another.

"Nnnnow you've just killed us" he jokes.

Rose giggles. Neither of them notices the way Jackie's looking at them

"Eh... that one" she points.

"Yeah, now, what've we got? Two minutes to go?" He looks over at Jackie, who checks her watch.

Yvonne and the girl emerge from her office, addressing the staff.

"Two minutes to the next shift. Let's make it a good one, people"

Adeola enters.

"Come on, you two" Yvonne talks like she was talking to two naughty children.

"I'm sorry we're late" Adeola says primly and the girl watches her calculatingly noticing something was different.

"Save it 'til later"

"Sorry we're late" Gareth nods.

"And powering up" she address the room.

The scientists pull the levers upwards, beginning the shift. Adeola and Gareth turn to their computers, ear pieces bleeping, and faces unnaturally blank. The girl casts them a final glance then back to the front of the room.

In the TARDIS Rose plunges the sonic screwdriver into a port on the console.

At the same moment, outside the doors, the Doctor presses the device he was holding earlier onto one of the cones. He proceeds to do the same to the other two, shouting through the open doors to Rose.

"What's the line doing?"

"It's all right, its holding" she yells.

"You even look like him?" Jackie says who has been contemplating Rose.

"How d'ya mean" Rose smile "I s'pose I do, yeah"

"You've changed so much"

"For the better..."

"I s'pose" Jackie whispers

"Mum, I used to work in a SHOP" Rose turns to her.

"I've worked in shops. What's wrong with that" Jackie says defensively.

"No, I didn't mean that"

"I know what you meant. What happens when I'm gone?" Jackie asks.

"Don't talk like that!" Rose looks at her mother shocked.

"No, but really, when I'm dead and buried, you won't have any reason to come back home. What happens then?" Jackie asks seriously.

"I don't know" Rose answers quietly.

"Do you think you'll ever settle down?" Jackie asks.

"The Doctor never will, so I can't. I'll just keep on travelling"

"And you'll keep on changing. And in forty years time, fifty, there'll be this woman - this strange woman... walking through the marketplace on some planet a billion miles from Earth. She's not Rose Tyler. Not anymore. She's not even human"

The Doctor's voice breaks the moment.

"The scanner's working - it says delta one six" Rose shouts.

The Doctor stands, facing the centre of the triangle.

"Come on you beauty" He cackles, positively jiggling with anticipation.

At Torchwood the scientists pull the levers even further, causing the light to brighten. Yvonne saunters forwards, putting on a pair of sunglasses.

"And... we're into Ghost Shift"

"Online" the computer says.

As the Doctor watches the triangle, a ghost materialises in its centre. As it does so, the cones are connected with blue electricity, which in turn connects over the top of the ghost, encompassing it in a kind of electric blue pyramid.

In Torchwood, as the light increases, the girl focus's in on Adeola's expressionless eyes.

Jackie and Rose watch the happenings outside the TARDIS on the monitor with amazement.

The Doctor puts on a pair of what looks like 3D spectacles and watches the ghost. He then bends down and adjusts a setting on his equipment - a green light blips, which seems to cause -

An alarm goes off at Torchwood, and Yvonne starts. She hurries over to Matt's computer, looking over his shoulder while the girl looks over at the other side.

"What've we got?" she asks.

"Something's interfering with the ghost field" he tells her, the girl's eyes dance gold and form a milky frame over her pupil.

"Location" she asks and the girl's eyes go back to normal, she hides a smirk at what she just saw.

"It's close... it's within the City" Matt answers.

The Doctor continues to adjust the knob. The ghost shudders and groans.

"Don't like that, that much do you" he laughs then under his breath "Who are you? Where are you coming from? WHOA!" He has just received what seems like an electric shock from the ghost, and he stumbles backwards.

"That's more like it! Not so friendly NOW, are you?" he laughs.

"Close it down. Close it down" Yvonne says urgently. The scientists obey and pull the levers down.

"Offline" the computer says.

The ghost continues to shudder and jerk within the Doctor's triangle.

The scientists finally push the levers into place and the ghost shift ends.

The ghost disappears. The Doctor immediately darts forward and begins gathering up his equipment.

Yvonne returns to Matt.

"It was a very specific excitation of the ghost field, and that makes it easy to pinpoint" From an image of the globe, he zooms in to the UK and then to London.

"Almost there... South London" zooms in further" South East 15" brow furrowed "It's a council estate, the Powell Estate. SU15 7GO. It was a public area"

"Can we patch into the CCTV network?" she asks.

"Doing it now" he taps down on the network.

A nearby security camera begins to turn slowly, too late to catch the Doctor disappearing inside the TARDIS with his equipment tucked under his arm.

Yvonne, the girl and Matt watch the CCTV footage on the computer screen.

"Here we go. We've got a camera within fifty yards" Their eyes widen as the TARDIS is brought slowly into frame. It's as though they've seen it before, while the girl's eyes shine in triumph.

"Oh my God" Yvonne gasps.

"Is it him" He zooms in closer.

"It's him" the girl nods.

The Doctor dashes to the railing inside the TARDIS, throwing his coat over it.

"I said so" he shouts excitedly "Those ghosts have been FORCED into existence for one specific point! And I can track down the source. Allons-Y"

He pulls down a lever. The TARDIS shudders and he and Rose fall backwards onto the chair. The rotor rises and falls.

As Yvonne, the girl and Matt watch, the TARDIS dematerialises. Yvonne stands up, as though she cannot believe what she's just seen - but she knows what it means.

"He's coming" She laughs in disbelief and hurries from the room soon followed by the girl but not before seeing Adeola glance darkly over to Gareth.