Status: In progress... kind of.

A Sunrise on the East Side

Chapter 6

--

"So, this is our kitchen." Jack pointed to an area of the apartment that had boxes and bags all over the counters and table.

"I can't even see the counter." I deadpanned. Jack glared playfully and I laughed. "I guess it's a guy thing."

There was a knock on the door then and Alex went to answer it. I followed Jack to the living room where I could see who was at the door. She had brown hair that reached her mid back and she was relatively pretty.

"Hey, Alex! Where have you been?" Ew. Her voice was weird too.

"Hey, Lisa."

Lisa threw her arms around Alex and then glared when she saw me.

"Who's your friend Alex?" She asked sweetly and I raised an eyebrow. What a fake. "Oooh, is she with Jack? What happened to Hunter? I /swear/ they liked each other!"

I blinked and clenched my fists. Alex looked at Jack and me and slowly nodded. My eyes widened and I looked at Jack.

"Uh, yeah... they've been going out for a while." Alex smiled at Lisa and I was about ready to blow a fucking gasket. I walked over to the couch and sat down, crossing my legs. I pursed my lips and held my hands in my lap.

Alex and Lisa talked for a little longer and then finally Lisa left. Jack opened his mouth to say something but I jumped up and started shouting before he could say anything.

"What the /fuuck/, Alex!? Seriously? You can't just say I'm an old friend; I have to be Jack's girlfriend? What are you afraid Lisa would leave you because she'd think you're cheating on her? Fucking pathetic is what you are. Ugh." I glared at Alex and I nodded curtly at Jack before walking to the door and wrenching it open.

I could hear someone was following me and I hoped to God it was Jack. I turned my head quickly and released a sigh of relief when it was Jack.

"Hey, wait up. Look, you hit it right on the dot, Lisa has left Alex tons of times when she thinks he's cheating and he really didn't want that to happen again, so that's why..." Jack told me.

"But why couldn't he have said that you and I were just really good friends? I don't like when he lies." I looked at Jack and swallowed thickly. "And speaking of Hunter, you really need to ask her out."

"Why? She doesn't like me."

"You are so blind! SHE LOVES YOU." I furrowed my brow and shook my head. "I'm serious, Jack."

"Really?"

"Yes!"

“But she’s been acting so weird around me lately…” Jack looked down.

“That’s because she’s sick of you being a pu.ssy and not asking her out. You are seriously really thick sometimes.” I gave him a half smile. I looked at my watch and noticed that it was 2:59. I had one minute! “Jack! I have one minute to get there, if Alex is coming go get him!”

Jack turned and ran back to their apartment and came back, literally dragging Alex behind him. “Aye, aye, captain.” He saluted me and I laughed. The three of us got in the elevator and went down the floor below Jack, Alex and Rian’s apartment. At exactly 3:01, I knocked on the door.

A woman that looked to be in her mid-thirties answered the door and smiled. Her hair was blonde and she was about my height. She was dressed in expensive clothes and her make-up was flawless.

“You must be Athena, Zack’s sister, so nice to meet you!” The woman stuck her hand out and I shook it.

“That’s me!” I said and instantly regretted it. I sounded like an idiot.

“Well, I’m Mrs. X. Please come in. Oh, hello, Jack, Alex,” she smiled widely at the guys and motioned for us to come in. My mouth dropped open in awe at this apartment. It was pristine. Not a mess in sight, unlike the All Time Low boys.

“Alex! Jack!” A little boy with blond hair of at least five came running out of a room, right over to Jack and Alex.

“Hey, Gray, what’s up man?” Jack asked. He picked up the boy and smiled at him. I always knew that Jack was good with kids, he’d make a good father, I think.

“I was making a picture of us!” Grayer pointed to Jack and Alex and they looked at each other.

“A picture?” Alex asked.

“Yes, a picture.” Grayer rolled his eyes. Him and Eli could be twins. I wonder if they ever hang out. “With you two, Zack, Rian and Eli!” Grayer smiled proudly and clapped his hands. Then he noticed me.

“Who are you?” He sneered.

“Grayer!” Mrs. X shouted, surprised.

I rubbed my Harmony tattoo and tried to keep it together.

“Hey, Gray, don’t talk to my friend like that, man,” Jack bent down to Grayer’s level and Grayer crossed his arms. “She’s my best friend, dude, she might be your new nanny. She’s cool too. Cooler than Kristen was.”

“Kristen was stupid.”

“Yeah, she was and she was mean. But Athena’s kick butt, and she’s nice. You’ll like her, dude.” Jack smiled at Grayer who smiled a little and uncrossed his arms.

“What do you say to Athena, Grayer?” Mrs. X asked sternly.

“I’m sorry,” Grayer mumbled and I murmured a ‘thank you’ back.

“Now, Athena, if you could follow me into my office that would be great. Please try not to do too much damage, boys,” she looked pointedly at Jack, Alex and Grayer. Good luck, lady.

I followed her to a big office, to the left of where we had been standing. It was really nice and definitely expensive. This must mean they pay well…

“So, Athena, I hope you don’t mind any of these questions, it’s just so I know more about you.” She smiled. “If any of them are personal, just tell me.”

I nodded and she pulled out some paper. “Just so I can write things down,” Mrs. X smiled again and I smiled back.

“So, how old are you?”

“I just turned twenty-two on December 15th of last year.” I answered. Alex’s birthday was one day before mine. We used to celebrate it together.

“How are you with children?” She asked.

“I’m fairly good, I believe. I’m very patient and I like spending time with them. Most of the time, they’re good with me. I don’t care about sticky hands, messes, all of those things. I love the feeling of helping out little kids.” I smiled.

“Very good. Speaking of children, how much experience do you have taking care of children? As in volunteering at daycares, or babysitting or looking over a child for a long period of time?” She asked.

I swallowed thickly. Oh, sh.it. I barely had any experience… I should have expected this… she wouldn’t hire me now!

--
♠ ♠ ♠
And that’s where I end. I know it's short :/ until next time, -jos.