Status: Completed as of 10/01/2010

Don't Stop Now

Without You There's No Reason For My Story

The next couple days were awkward. Every time I walked to the front lounge, the guys would stop whatever they were doing and break neck my way. They still acted normal, I guess. They still talked to me which was a good thing because I don’t think I could have lasted without talking to them. Tim was acting like a bitch and he wouldn’t talk to me. Pat kept looking at me weirdly though.

On the other hand, John and Jared acted like nothing happened, but Garrett kept bringing it up every time him and I were alone. Kenny and I have been inseparable since the day we kissed. Speaking of that kiss, it still lingered on my lips…

“So what do we do now?” Kennedy asked me as I nuzzled my head in between the crook of his neck. We were cuddled up in the corner of the back lounge watching reruns of Family Matters.

“I don’t know,” I told him, pulling the blanket closer to me.

Kennedy took a deep breath and wrapped his arm around the side of my body as he rested his head on top of mine. Since the day we kissed, I always turned to him. Kennedy was the only guy who smiled when I walked his way, he managed to make me laugh, and he kissed me on the top of my head; just the way I like it.

“Well, Tim’s still pretty pissed. He still won’t talk to me.” He said.

“Tim always acts like a little bitch. I’m sorry Kennedy; sorry you have to deal with that at every show and on the road.”

He laughed and I looked up at him, grinning. “What?”

“I’m sorry you have to live with that guy!”

The guy had a point. I laughed it off and yawned for the 10th time. Kennedy rubbed my shoulders and asked, “Are you tired yet? We’ve been watching Steve Urkel for about 3 hours.” I nodded my head as my eyes started to close and my mind started to drift.

“Well,” he started, leaning over and pressing his lips softly against my cheek, “you should get some sleep. Another show tomorrow and you need to get up early to set up merch.” I lazily nodded my head and grunted to let him know I was listening.

Kennedy chuckled and held me tight, watching me as I fell asleep. I heard footsteps enter the lounge and a voice speak up. “She asleep?” It was Garrett.

“She just shut her eyes, Gary?” Kenny replied to him, loosening his grip on my waist. He kept his voice down and whispered to Garrett, “Dude, I’m sorry.”

“For what?” Garrett asked.

I noticed their voices getting lower and deeper, hoping they wouldn’t wake up, but I was still awake. I knew I shouldn’t have been eavesdropping, but I was really concerned and plus Garrett hasn’t even looked my way since he saw Kenny and I kissing again. I felt like I was loosing my best friend…

“I know you liked Norah, Garrett.” I froze. I felt my body tense up and my throat close.

Garrett hushed Kennedy and told him, “I think I told you that… but whatever, she likes you. You guys look great together.” The tone in his voice sounded flat and sad at the same time.

“I really like her,” Kennedy said, running his fingertips along my arm. “I really, really like her.”

“I know you do, you’ve been hung over her since you two met!” Garrett shouted.

My eyes fluttered open and I sat up, coughing from what I had just heard. Kennedy liked me that long? I turned my head to see Garrett and Kennedy’s faces. Their mouths in the shapes of O’s and their eyes staring back at me. I really wanted to say what the fuck was going on, but I couldn’t. I didn’t want to hurt either of them because I knew I was just going to ramble on, not even thinking about what I was going to say.

“Norah, you okay?” Kennedy asked, rubbing my back. I got up quickly and ran out of the back lounge and into the bathroom. I locked the door and pressed my back against it, sliding myself down till I hit the cold, tiled floor.

My eyes stared blankly into space. I liked Garrett, I knew that. But Kennedy? He’s liked me since we met and that was back in 2008. That was around the time he was with his long-time girlfriend, now turned ex.

I heard a knock on the door. “Norah?”

That was Garrett’s soft, gentle, calming voice.

“What, Garrett?”

“Please tell me what’s wrong? Open the door?” He asked, tapping his fingers against the door.

I shut my eyes and felt my lip tremble. What was I supposed to do now? Of course I liked Kennedy; he’s such a sweetheart and I know that if he and I were to ever be a couple, he’d treat me like a princess, but Garrett… he was something different.

“I’m sorry, I can’t open the door.” I said softly.

Garrett’s voice sounded closer now, like he had pressed the side of his face against the door. “Norah, please open the door. I’m sorry for the way I’ve been acting, but you’re still my best friend and I want to know what’s wrong.”

I slowly raised my hand as it reached the doorknob and unlocked the door. I scooted myself away from the door and pressed my back against the wall. I heard Garrett get up and open the door. He poked his head inside and then his whole body stepped inside the bathroom.

“Norah…” he said as he saw the first tear fall from my eyes. He sat down next to me and wrapped his arm around my shoulders. With his other hand, he reached out for mine and held it.

“Tell me?”

I shook my head, holding back the tears.

He sighed and leaned his head back. “Why not?”

Tears trickled down my cheeks as I tried my hardest not to let them waterfall down my face. I brushed the back of my hand over my cheek and then back into Garrett’s palm. “I don’t want things to change.”

He looked at me, confused. His hand let loose and then tucked my hair behind my ears. Gently, he wiped away the tears that were near the bottom of my chin and chuckled. He smiled and said, “Why are things going to change?”

“Because… I love you.”