Status: GOING BACK TO EDIT

Saving Grace

Chapter Nineteen

I wasn't sure what had happened between Linnely and Marissa in the past but I could see the hatred in Linnely's aquamarine eyes.

Marissa hurried over to where John was standing and embraced him in a hug. "It's so great to see you again!" she cried. You could tell that she had had a few drinks but she was still somewhat sober.

Kennedy glanced at me, his face agitated as he rolled his hazel eyes at Marissa.

Did everyone dislike the blond-haired girl standing before me?

The tall girl leaned up and whispered something to her ex-boyfriend.

John shoved her away much to my surprise and she stumbled backward a little, the heel of her shoe landing on my toe. I cringed in pain, cursing under my breath. "No, Marissa," John slurred said firmly.

Before I realized what was happening, as I was too busy examining my injured toe, John's arm wrapped around me, pulling me close to his side. I tumbled into him before standing upright once again and brushing my hair from my face.

"He has a girlfriend, Marissa," Linnely said bitterly.

"I wasn't trying anything!"

It was quite obvious that she had been, considering that she had already met me. She was trying to get some time with John to win him back. It didn't take a genius to figure that out.

"I think you should leave!" Garrett spat at her.

I felt like I was in the middle of this, like this was territory that I shouldn't be stepping on so I stayed completely silent.

"Know what Garrett? I think you should leave!"

"What is this? A preschool argument?" Kennedy asked. He and I thought alike.

Marissa spun, her eyes narrowing at him. "Shut up Kenny. Was I talking to you?"

I felt my jaw drop at her words. I would never, ever talk to anyone like that, whether I had a few shots in me or not. I quickly composed myself closing my agape jaw. I saw anger fill Linnely's eyes before she tapped Marissa on the shoulder.

I never thought that Linnely, the sweet girl I had met, would throw a sucker punch as hard and as fast as she did. I felt my hands fly to my mouth and my eyes fly open as wide as they could go.

Marissa's hands covered her eye as her, presumably, entourage came to her aid.

Before anything else could happen, Kennedy grabbed Linnely and Pat and shoved them through the crowd. I stood in shock, hearing the John's drunken chuckles and Marissa's friends cooing that she looked fine. Garrett had managed to disappear in the crowd, more than likely going to find Jared to tell him what had happened.

It suddenly dawned on me that I had Pat's keys and that he was our ride back. I spun, clenching a handful of John's shirt in my fist before yanking him after Kennedy. "Whoa! Where are we going?" John asked.

"We are going home," I said as I pulled him down the sidewalk. He pried my fingers from his shirt, allowing himself to walk without being pulled along like a dog on a leash. I picked up the pace as I spotted Kennedy seemingly lecturing Linnely as she leaned against Pat's car.

"You're going to land your ass in jail!" Kennedy was saying as I came into hearing range.

Linnely was smiling proudly. "I don't care. I'm John's cousin, like she's going to do anything to me. She wants him back and she knows how close John and I are..." she stated, looking to her manicured nails.

Kennedy sighed as Pat leaned over and pressed his lips to his girlfriend's. "That's my Linnely for you," he said after pulling away and brushing her hair behind her ear.

"I-I think it's time to call it a night," I stated.

Everyone looked to me and Kennedy nodded. "Give me the keys," Kennedy said, "I'll drive us back. Jared can drive Garrett home."

I hesitated but handed him the keys before we piled into Pat's car.

"Know what, Lia?" Linnely asked from between John and I. Her breath tickled the side of my face. "I think you are going to be my new best friend."

"Really?" I asked.

She nodded. "I mean, you're not whore-y like Marissa and you would never lie to me, would you?"

I felt like a hypocrite, considering that my life here was basically a lie as I answered her. "No."

"Good," she said, her head suddenly resting on my shoulder. "You make a good pillow too," she added after a moment of silence.

The three guys in the car chuckled at her words. Linnely ignored them and leaned up. "Lia looks sexy tonight, doesn't she John?" she asked.

"Yup," he agreed, looking away from drawing inappropriate things on the window that he had fogged up with his breath.

I felt myself blush. Thank god Kennedy pulled into the O'Callaghan's driveway.

"Thanks, Kenny," I said softly.

He turned and smiled at me as I climbed out. "No problem Amelia."

I walked around to John's side as he continued drawing on the window, oblivious to the fact that we had arrived at his house. I opened the door only to have John tumble out of the vehicle, landing at my feet.

Laughter echoed through the empty neighborhood. I puffed out a breath before leaning down and helping him up. With one last wave to the trio of people in the car, I guided John to the front door and inside.

John stumbled, tripping over the first step as he started climbing them. The impact of him landing on the other stairs echoed through the silent house. I cringed as he burst into a fit of laughter. "John!" I hissed. "Be quiet!"

His laughter only grew louder, causing me to clamp my hand over his mouth as he dragged himself off of the flight of stairs he was sprawled across. "Shh," I whispered harshly before helping him up the remaining steps. I helped him to his bedroom where he flopped down on his mattress. I sighed, seeing that he had already fallen asleep.

I rested my hands on my hips before deciding on what to do. Removing my feet from the stilettos that they were in, I set them aside. I ran my fingers through my hair as I padded back down the hallway to the kitchen.

I pulled a glass out of the cupboard and filled it with water before searching for the aspirin. John would undoubtedly need it in the morning.

"Amelia." I spun from my quest to see Jay in the doorway. He sounded surprised.

"Jay," I said. I messed my hair. "Do you know where the aspirin is?" I asked.

He smiled a little. "It should be somewhere in there."

I nodded before searching amongst the bottles of pills. The one that caught my eye was the prescription bottle labeled for Bree. It was quite obvious why she had prescription medication.

Tucked in the far back corner, I found the bottle I was looking for and took two capsules out. "I'd like to thank you, Amelia," Jay suddenly said, pulling the gallon of milk out of the refrigerator.

I turned to him, an eyebrow cocked upward in questioning. "Why's that?"

"For this morning: making breakfast."

"I-It was no trouble at all. I'm just sorry that I didn't help wash the dishes."

He scoffed. "Please, we really appreciated what you did."

The sound of something shattering upstairs made both of us freeze. I knew instantly that the noise came from John's bedroom.

I puffed out a breath. "I'm sorry, I should go check on him. Good night, Jay."

"Night Amelia," he said before I ran up the stairs with two aspirin and a glass of water for John.

I found him still fast asleep on his bed only his arm was sprawled over the night stand, the lamp that had been resting on it shattered on the ground.

I sighed before picking up as much glass as I could without the help of the vacuum. After tossing the majority of the glass in the small trash can he had in his room, I sighed and set up a small sleeping spot in the place where John usually slept. I barely had time to think over my day before unconsciousness took me into darkness.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thank you for subscribing and commenting!!