Status: GOING BACK TO EDIT

Saving Grace

Chapter Twenty-Five

It was an understatement to say that butterflies were fluttering about freely in my stomach as I prepared myself for a situation I had yet to come to terms with. Nicholas was due to arrive any minute and I was an utter mess on the inside.

Bree had forced me to rest most of the day and I was sure that she would have forced me to stay confined within the same, four boring walls that I had been trapped in a majority of the day if Nick decided not to come.

I was perfectly fine health-wise. Emotionally-wise, not so much and John had sensed it.

I dressed in relaxed clothing, not wanting to give Nick the impression that I was trying to win him back. He was never the kind of guy who liked that- I'd never met a boy who did, as a matter of fact. I wanted it to seem casual, as if I wasn't trying hard though, despite my newly recognized feelings for John, I desperately wanted Nick to decide that he had made a mistake and wanted me back.

Inwardly, I smiled, my mind flashing back to just a little more than an hour ago when I came across the O'Callaghan boys attempting to help their mother cook. Jay had been in his home office, working on something that needed to be faxed to his boss later in the evening. I learned that he had worked from home ever since Bree's diagnosis and I approved his decision in silence.

The doorbell rang, echoing though the house.

I could hear people shuffling about in the kitchen, one of them more than likely going to let Nicholas in. I stayed frozen where I was on the sofa, my legs folded beneath me as I attempted to watch Whale Wars.

It was a horrible show in my opinion from the parts I had paid attention to. I mean, it was a good cause and such but really? Their fighting tactics were horrible as was what they called weapons.

I glanced away from the television when John called my name softly from the doorway. Behind the tall, lean, dark-haired boy stood a male that I knew all too well.

Our gazes locked on one another before I forced a small smile.

Yes, I was being the better person by being the first to show some sort of happiness between us even if there really was none.

"Hello," I said before grabbing the remote off of the coffee table and flipping the television off with the motion of pressing a button. I stood from the sofa, my false smile still on my face as I slowly approached the two.

He looked adorable as usual, dressed in layers which I never, ever understood. He always had layers of clothes on with the exception of when he was touring and if there was an extremely, extremely hot day.

A vest covered the great majority of the dress shirt he was wearing, the sleeves rolled up to a little below his elbows. His legs were clad in his not so baggy jeans, a small view of yet another shirt peeping out the dress shirt which had all but the top three buttons clasped. I wanted to question his sanity for wearing so much clothing in Arizona but I refrained myself from doing so.

He was an odd boy and that was what I loved about him the most. "How have you been?" I asked, not pulling my eyes from his.

"Good," he replied, his eyes never leaving mine either. "You?"

"Good," I said, my smile fading a tad but not ready to leave my face just yet.

"Nicholas!" Bree cried happily, appearing from behind him. "It's so good to see you again," she said after he spun to face her.

"It's nice to see you too, Bree," he said as John's mother pulled him into a hug. "You are positively glowing!" he said, a charming smile finding its way onto his face as they pulled away from one another.

He was always good at bringing people's confidence up; it was just another one of the things that had made me fall in love with him.

I stopped myself there, mentally slapping myself to knock me out of thinking over the reasons I was attracted to Nick.

"You came just in time, dinner is officially ready," she said, pulling her eyes from him to glance at me with a sweet smile.

I returned it before she turned and walked toward the dinning room.

John, Nick and I looked at one another, a little awkwardness falling over us before we decided to follow Bree.

I settled at the end of the table, opposite of Jay with Shane seated on my left and John at my right. Nick sat beside Shane, across from both Ross and Bree. "How has tour been for you, Nick?" Jay asked after the remaining family welcomed him.

I watched as the corners of his lips twist upward. "Good." His dark eyes flickered to me and I immediately turned my eyes down the salad before me.

I didn't want to see the truthfulness that was in his eyes. I wanted to see his pain and that need for me that he had after our first short separation.

I lazily picked at a piece of lettuce with my fork, the newly formed knots in my stomach ruining my appetite.

"Amelia, dear? Are sure you're feeling okay?"

Bree's concerned voice cut through my thoughts and I turned my muddy-colored eyes up from my plate. "Y-Yes," I said, forcing the corners of my mouth to turn into a smile.

"Amelia wasn't feeling well earlier today," Bree said to clear up the curious look on Nick's face.

"Really?" he asked, pulling his eyes away from Bree to meet mine.

"Yeah, I'm fine now though."

I found myself unable to break our staring.

Another question rang throughout the room, forcing Nick to look away.

With that, I turned back to my salad and poked my fork through a tomato slice.

------

"Amelia, really?" Bree asked.

I glanced up from setting a small stack of plates in the sink to the woman whom I found that I respected more than my own mother with a questioning look.

She sighed, running her bony fingers through her golden hair. "Nick is here, why don't you go talk to him. I can handle doing the dishes, now go."

I frowned as loud, boyish laughter drifted into the kitchen and looked to the open doorway. "I'll help you, he sounds occupied right now anyway."

She scowled and for being so stick thin, she sure was strong.

Before I knew it, she had shoved me to the living room entrance. "Go, Lia," Bree encouraged before curtly turning and walking back to the kitchen where dirty dishes awaited her.

I stood in the foyer and glanced around nervously, hoping to find something to do that would kill some time.

"Go!" Bree hissed.

I spun and looked down the hallway to see her peering out of the kitchen. She motioned with her hand for me to get a move on.

I shot her a serious look before letting an exasperated breath out. Turning back to the living room door, I wiped my clammy hands on the thighs of my jeans before marching into the room with the little confidence I had.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thank you for all the story comments! We hit 200 with the last chapter!! :D
I have been super busy lately but I'll update again when ever I find the chance tomorrow. Oh, and I found out that the next big issue is coming up a little later, in chapter 27 to be precise. I was only a chapter off in my guess though.
Love and such, Autumn.