Status: GOING BACK TO EDIT

Saving Grace

Chapter Thirty-Eight

I glanced around a little nervously as I searched for the familiar red-brown hair that I could pick out of a massive crowd. The only things I saw though were headstones, weeping women and men trying their hardest to be strong for the sake of their family. Everyone was dressed in black as it was a custom to wear the color to funerals.

I hadn’t seen Nick yet but I was sure that he was here, somewhere in the crowd.

At the sight of the polished black casket, I swallowed hard against the lump of emotion that lodged itself in my throat. When unshed tears started blurring my vision, I focused on the light pink roses that draped over the casket so elegantly.

As the monotone voice of the preacher dragged on for seemingly hours, I scanned the area once again.

This time, I spotted him.

Nick sat across the lawn dressed in a black suit that looked perfect on him. I had to say, men looked ten times more attractive in suits- at least in my opinion they did. His hair was combed to make him look like a gentleman like he styled it almost every day now and his usual sunglasses that he often carried around with him were nowhere in sight.

He smiled warmly when my eyes reached his and with a soft movement, he lifted his hand from its place on his lap to wave discreetly at me. I returned it with a light smile before turning my attention back to the roses that contrasted the glossy black material.

The headache that had sprung up in church was starting to make me dizzy but I tried my hardest to concentrate on the words being spoken. I gripped my clutch as I tried to blink away the faint feeling that was swarming me.

I bit the inside of my lip when a sharp pain shot through my side. I cringed and shifted in my seat as John and Shane sent me curious and concerned looks. Looking to Nick, I saw the concern in his eyes. I quickly composed myself though and forced myself to concentrate on the words being spoken.

"Are you okay?" John whispered into my ear suddenly.

I turned to him and nodded, forcing a small smile on my face before looking to the preacher.

I bit the inside of my lip as another pain shot through me minutes later but forced myself to stay discreet about it.

I gripped the edge of my seat carefully and stared at the tree just beyond the glossy casket.

"Amelia?" I turned my eyes up when I heard my voice to see John towering above me. He was holding out his hand in an offer to help me up. Glancing around, I realized that it was over. People were slowly walking back to their vehicles and dabbing at their eyes.

I slipped my hand in his and rose as carefully as I could. "Are you sure you're feeling alright?" he whispered, slipping his arm through mine.

Not wanting to concern or upset him anymore than he already was, I simply nodded my head.

Nick met us by John's car, a look of concern on his face. His hand cupped the side of my face when we got close enough. "You don't look well, Lia. Are you okay?"

"Y-Yeah. I'm fine," I said as I rested my hand casually on John's car, adding a little support for me. It hadn't been asked that many times but it felt like the question was going to keep repeating throughout the day, just as "I'm so sorry for your loss" would be for John.

Both John and Nick eyed me skeptically but Kennedy caught their attention. I smiled, happy with the distraction. "I didn't think you were going to come!" Kennedy said, his voice hushed out of politeness.

"I'm here, aren't I!?" Nick said, a smile easily crossing his face.

I was about to smile too but a new, much sharper pain ricocheted through me and I found my hand clamping onto John's shoulder.

I could vaguely hear the alarmed questions aimed at me but black was starting to take my vision. I pinched my eyes shut and bit the corner of my lip.

My thoughts went frantic seconds before I went unconscious.

-----

I opened my eyes to find myself in Nicholas's arms. The familiar, towering building that Bree had spent her last hours in was slowly approaching as Nick hurried forward.

My fingers were gripping the lapels of his jacket as his dark brown eyes met mine with pure worry filling them.

I wanted to send him a reassuring smile but I felt myself tense as I subconsciously prepared for more pain. Just as I had anticipated, another much strong stabbing sensation racked through me.

By the time I could get a grip on my surroundings once again, I found Nick and I in the emergency room with a nurse looking at me in concern. My fingers felt numb from griping his jacket so tightly and I was trembling in his arms.

Nick must have explained the situation because a stretcher was suddenly before us. He carefully set me down as if I was a precious, irreplaceable porcelain dish before taking my hand.

I felt panic rising in my throat and it forced tears in my eyes. As the overhead lights started moving above me, I glanced over to see John.

His hands were stuffed in his pockets and he was trying not to show his just how concerned he really was. He gave me a small, two-finger salute as if wishing me the best but I didn't get the chance to even make a different expression in response; another sharp pain pierced through me.

"No matter what happens, Amelia, I'll always love you." Nick whispered, hurriedly walking alongside the stretcher as medical staff rushed me in for various tests.
♠ ♠ ♠
I am not a fan of this chapter. I quite possibly go back and re-write this.
I'm sitting at home because sophomores have testing at my school right now which means upperclassmen and freshmen don't have to be in until 10! :) so that means you get an early update which are going to start happening every Friday.
Don't be afraid to state your opinion. I seriously don't mind if you want to point something out that you disagree with. I know some authors freak out on people if they don't agree with a comment but I like people being straightforward with me. It clears up confusion and creates less of an issue than dancing around the truth, so comment away :)