Status: GOING BACK TO EDIT

Saving Grace

Chapter Nine

"Goodnight Amelia, I hope people weren't too overwhelming for you," Bree said as John and I announced that we were retreating to his bedroom for the night.

All the guests had left and I found myself drained from meeting everyone. I had helped clean up the mess against Bree's protests though, not willing to be rude.

"John's father should be back by tomorrow morning from his business trip and Ross is coming home from college tomorrow also," Bree added. "Sleep well."

I smiled truly for once. "Thank you, I will," I said before climbing the stairs.

John followed closely behind, obviously tired too.

So far, the only immediate family I had met was Bree and Shane: John's youngest brother. He seemed okay, kind of quiet but not rude in the slightest.

I pushed open the bedroom door and stopped dead in my tracks upon seeing the bed, the only bed in the room.

John stopped behind me too as if the thought hit him also. "Um...?" I scratched the back of my neck tilting my head back to look up to my "boyfriend".

"I'll sleep on the floor," he said before lightly pushing me forward.

I spun when I unwillingly stepped inside as he shut the door behind him. "I-I'll sleep on the floor."

"No, I'll be fine," he said, stepping in front of his dresser to find some sleeping wear.

"Are you sure?"

"Positive."

I studied him still debating this within my head. After moments, I gave up and turned to the smaller of my suitcases resting upon the queen-sized mattress. I pulled out a pair of pajamas and slipped into the bathroom to change in privacy with my toothbrush and toothpaste in hand.

After rinsing my face, changing into my pajamas, brushing my teeth and carefully throwing my hair up, I peeked out the door to see where John was.

The only thing that had changed within the short amount of time was the luggage location. Our bags were no longer on the bed. In fact, they were no where in sight. Neither was John for that matter.

I walked out, pulling at my pony-tail as my feet sunk lightly in the soft carpeting.

I made myself as comfortable as possible in John's bed, staying close to the edge of the mattress.

I stared at the textured ceiling for a moment before closing my eyes and attempting to sleep regardless of the light still burning.

"Can you turn the light off?"

The voice startled me. I let out a small shriek, flailing, before falling off the bed with a thump that echoed through the house.

"Jesus, Amelia! Are you okay?" John asked, throwing his body across the bed to check on me.

I pushed myself off the floor and tucked a loose strand of my hair behind my ear. "Yeah," I replied quickly. "I, uh, didn't realize you were in here." I knew my face was turning bright red.

I stood fully and crossed the room to the light switch. "Night," I said softly as I flipped the switch down.

"Good night," John replied. I could hear the mattress shift as he went back to sleep on the floor.

I stared into the darkness after finding my way over to the bed. "Sorry for scaring you," he said after silence comfortably filled the room. I rolled my eyes as he lightly chuckled before my mind went astray with the phone call I shared with Nick.

-----

I stared at the venetian blinds. It was a little after six thirty in the morning and I was wide awake.

I sighed to myself before folding the blankets down and beginning to search for the luggage we had brought up the previous day.

Not able to find them, I put my hands on my hips and thought. After a few seconds I remembered that some of my things were still in the car.

I quietly opened the door and peered down the darkened hallway. Seeing nothing, I stepped out of John's bedroom and tip-toed down the stairs.

Although the sun was barely peeking over the horizon, the paved driveway was already warm against my bare feet.

I hurried to my car and luckily found it unlocked. With little ease, I yanked my remaining bags from the car where they clattered to the ground, nearly landing on my toes.

After composing myself, I bent down and struggled to lift the largest of my luggage. So bound and determined to successfully get my things inside, I hadn't heard a car pull into the driveway.

"Need some help?" an unfamiliar voice asked.

I glanced up, my hand flying to my now racing heart.

Two males stood before me, one tired looking and fairly older than the other. Their similar features told me that they were related. It was easy to see that they were also somehow related to John.

"I- uh... Yeah," I admitted feeling incompetent.

The youngest of the two slung a full backpack on his shoulders before walking over to me. He made it look easy when he picked up my bag. "Amelia, correct?" the middle-aged man asked as he walked forward with more luggage in his grip.

I nodded. These people had to be John's father and Ross.

"It's a pleasure to meet you. I'm John's father." I was correct, obviously.

"It's nice to meet you Mr. O'Callaghan."

"Please, call me Jay," he said with a polite smile. "This is Ross, John's brother." I smiled warmly at the boy who, like John, towered over me.

"Shall we go inside?" Ross asked, a teasing smile on his face.

I remembered then that I was clad in my pajamas, my hair still not styled and my make-up not on. I tried hiding my blush but it was a wasted effort.

So much for looking decent for my first impression.
♠ ♠ ♠
Wow, this is shit :(
This is probably my last update for the weekend. I'm leaving for my mini-vacation bright and early tomorrow morning. Hopefully there are some really cute boys there...
You should leave me some comments for when I get back ;)
AND I HAVE TEN STARS ALREADY!! FUCK YEAH!!! Thank you all!