Sequel: Family Ties
Status: Done! Please check out the sequel!

Welcome to the Family

Near Misses

I sorted though my clothes trying to figure out just what to wear. I mean what do you wear to see your father when it’s been a year since he was ripped from your life? See my point?

I racked my brain for ideas when I remembered something I’d hidden. I’d bought it a long time ago on a rare occasion to the mall to buy clothes for me. I’d managed to snag Mom’s credit card and sneak into Hot Topic to purchase it before stuffing it inside a winter jacket I’d just bought. Once home I’d hidden it in the bottom of a false bottomed drawer that was in my vanity.

I ran over and pressed on the wooden plank that served as the false bottom and a moment later it popped open. I reached inside and pulled out the black shirt and smiled at the logo on the front. It was a Deathbat with sunglasses and lightning bolts under the words ‘Avenged Sevenfold’. Since I’d left all of my clothes in California and Brad had put his foot down about what I wore, this was the only band shirt that I owned.

I quickly ripped off the plain white tank top I was wearing and pulled the shirt over my head. After that I shimmied into my favorite black skinny jeans and found my black low rise Chucks. I drew my black eyeliner thick around my eyes and worked on my hair, smoothing it to a shine with my flat iron. I added some pink and black jelly bracelets and painted my nails with black nail varnish before looking in the mirror.

I almost cried looking in the mirror. Like I’d said before Brad had put his foot down on what I wore. He’d banned all of my band shirts, black clothes and everything I loved to wear in general. I only been allowed to shop at certain stores and all trace of my individuality had been erased. Now I felt like myself again.

My phone vibrated in my back pocket and I pulled it out and saw that I had a text. I flipped open my phone and smiled seeing it was my friend Tyfany

From: Tyf
Bitch I’m three houses down. Get your ass moving. Love you <3

I smiled at the text from my only friend. Tyfany Green was the first person at Jefferson High to see what was really under all the preppy shit that Brad had shoved on me. I smiled thinking about that day.

*Eight Months Earlier*

I sat in my desk in Mrs. Long’s English Class, squirming in the hopelessly uncomfortable short white skirt and mint green polo shirt. I hated the clothes but it was all I had in my closet to wear. We had a substitute and no one was doing the work Mrs. Long had left for us to do. I had my Ipod in my ears, Slipknot’s ‘Duality’ blasting in my ears, my eyes closed and my hands going over the motions of the guitar parts.

I was lost in my own little world until I felt a sharp tap on my head. I jumped and pulling my ear buds from my ears. Sitting on the desk in front of me, her feet in the seat was a girl with teased blond hair, excess eyeliner and a pierced bottom lip.

“Can I help you?” I asked.

“Yeah you can tell me why you’re sitting there looking like you just walked out of a Hollister catalogue while you’re listening to one of the most badass bands on earth.” she said.

“Because I like them.” I replied.

“The clothes or the band?” She asked.

“The band. What’s with the interrogation?” I asked getting a little annoyed.

“Just wondering. I mean most of the little rich bitches that walk around here dressed like you wouldn’t know the difference between Metallica and Motion City Soundtrack. However you seem to not only know Slipknot but be able to play the songs judging by the way you were fingering the notes. And…” she said and picked up one of my hands, “You’ve got calluses, so you play in real life.” she said.

“You’re right. I’ve played guitar since I was little.” I replied.

“Knew it. Now the clothes. What’s the go?” she asked.

“Step-Dad.” I replied.

She nodded, “Gotcha. I’m Tyfany by the way.” she said holding out her hand.

I took it, “Joey.” I replied.

“Joey? The teacher calls you Josephine.” She replied.

“Yeah but I hate my first name.” I said.

“Yeah well I’m going to call you Josie cause I like it better than Joey.” she said.

I laughed, “Okay…” I said and she laughed too.

*Present Day*


Ever since that day we’d been inseparable. Brad knew nothing of her and that was the way that I wanted it to stay. He didn’t approve of my friends and I didn’t need another reason for him to argue with me.

Tyfany knew all my secrets. I’d told her everything about Brad’s abuse, being jerked away from my dad and uncle. The only thing she didn’t know was exactly who they were. That was something that I just couldn’t admit to anyone yet.

I sent her a text back and shoved my phone into my back pocket. I checked to make sure that my door was locked before shoving open my window. Brad was at work and Charlotte was a dance class so I was home alone but I had to make sure my door was locked so that Brad would think I was sleeping as usual.

I slid down the drainpipe and landed with a soft ‘thud’ on the grass. The moment my Converse hit the ground I took off in a run. A few moments later Tyfany’s beat up red sedan came into view. I ran over to it and climbed in.

“Looking fabulous darling.” she said as she put the car in drive and took off down the street.

“Thank you and my I say that you’re ravishing.” I replied and we both cracked up.

Tyfany did look good though. She wore a pair of white jeans that hugged her body in all the right places, a black Avenged Sevenfold t-shirt with the old logo on it and black and white checkered Vans.

“So where’d you get the shirt?” she asked.

“I bought it a long time ago and hid it.” I replied picking a piece of lint from the hem.

“Ahh…sneaky little thing aren’t you?” she smiled.

We drove for another half hour before we reached the venue for the concert. We parked and got out of the car and headed up to the line that was forming. I was happy that it wasn’t quite long yet which meant that we’d get good spots. About a week after we’d started talking the both of us had found that we shared a love of Avenged Sevenfold. From there we’d been best friends.

We stood in line for about and hour before they opened the doors. We made our way inside and I realized just how close we were to the stage. My stomach began to churn. Would they see me? What would they do if they did?

“Josie are you okay?” Tyfany asked gently putting her hand on my shoulder.

“Y-Yeah I’m fine. Just…excited.” I replied.

A smile stretched across her face, “Alright.” she said but I could see the doubt in her eyes.

The rest of the people filled in behind us slowly and the opening band came on. They were a local band called Leader Results that were pretty good. However soon the lights dimmed and screams erupted.

The stage lit up as people’s cameras flashed and I watched as the forms of the guys came on stage. First was Jimmy, twirling a drumstick then I saw Zacky and Johnny take their spots then, my heart stopped, I saw Brian and Matt come out together.

I screamed like nobodies business and a second later the eerie plinking notes of ‘Nightmare’ began. The entire crowd began to move as Brian and Zacky came in on guitars and Jimmy started in on his drums. A few moments later Matt began to sing.

Now your nightmare comes to life.

Dragged you down below
Down to the devils show
To be his guest forever
Peace of mind is less than never

Hate to twist your mind
But God ain't on your side
An old acquaintance severed
Burn the world your last endeavor

Flesh is burning
You can smell it in the air
Cause men like you have such an easy soul to steal (steal)

So stand in line while they ink numbers in your head
You're now a slave until the end of time here

Nothing stops the madness turning, haunting, yearning pull the trigger

You should have known
The price of evil
And it hurts to know that you belong here
Yeah
Oooooooh
It's your fucking nightmare
While your nightmare comes to life

Can't wake up in sweat
Cause it ain't over yet
Still dancing with your demons
Victim of your own creation

Beyond the will to fight
Where all that's wrong is right
Where hate don't need a reason
Loathing self-assassination

You've been lied to
Just to rape you of your sight
And now they have the nerve to tell you how to feel (feel)

So sedated as they medicate your brain
And while you slowly go insane they tell ya
"Given with the best intentions, help you with your complications"

You should have known
The price of evil
And it hurts to know that you belong here
Yeah
No one to call
Everybody to fear
Your tragic fate
Is looking so clear
Yeah
Oooooooh
It's your fucking nightmare

(Break)

(Maniacal laughter)
Fight (Fight! ). not to fail (fail! )
Not to fall (fall! )
Or you'll end up like the others

Die (Die! ), die again (die! )
Drenched in sin (sin! )
With no respect for another

Down(Down! ), feel the fire(fire! )
Feel the hate(hate! )
Your pain is what we desire

Lost (Lost! ), hit the wall (wall! )
Watch you crawl (crawl! )
Such a replaceable liar

And I know you hear their voices
Calling from above
And I know they may seem real
These signals of love
But our life's made up of choices
Some without appeal
They took for granted your soul
And it's ours now to steal

As your nightmare comes to life

You should have known
The price of evil
And it hurts to know that you belong here
Yeah
No one to call
Everybody to fear
Your tragic fate
Is looking so clear
Yeah
Oooooooh
It's your fucking nightmare


Throughout the song I moved along with the moshing of the pit but I was sure to keep close to the front. They were amazing live and I wasn’t about to miss a single part.

Tyfany stood by my side the entire time both of us screaming and yelling as the band in front of us played.

“Oh my god! M. Shadows is totally looking at you!!” Tyfany yelled in my ear about half way though the show.

I had been too preoccupied by some jackass attempting to beat the hell out of me to notice. I looked up and for a moment I swear that our eyes locked but then he looked away and moved to the other side of the stage. There was no way it could’ve been me he was looking at.

*Matt’s POV*

The crowd cheered and moved as I sang the lyrics of ‘God Hates Us’. I could feel the energy that radiated through the crowd and it was epic. Behind me Syn was playing his heart out. I knew that he’d hardly slept the last few days but he was here nonetheless playing like he had boundless amounts of energy.

I walked up to the front of the stage and sang at the crowd who screamed bloody murder. Kids were moshing and throwing themselves around. I started to move to the other side of the stage when one particular body caught my eye.

She was pushing people around in the pit but at the same time she was still staying in one place, her eyes on the stage. Well that was until a guy started messing with her and she hit with a sharp punch to the gut and he staggered away. Her hair was dark and she had a cocky smirk just like another person I knew. Could it be? Joey?

There was a blond girl beside her saw me looking at her and quickly said something to the girl. The girl stopped moving and as she looked up at me I glanced at her and turned away, moving away. There was no way that it could be Joey.

The lot of us had seen her everywhere the past year but each time it turned out it was just a girl that looked like her. Each time I saw Brian and Jimmy both die a little inside. They both loved that girl so much and she’d been pulled away from them, from us. I decided not to say anything. It’s just get their hopes up.

*Joey’s POV*

I stood amongst the groups of fans wringing my hands, a habit I had when I was nervous. Soon Avenged Sevenfold would come out of those doors to greet the fans and I’d be face to face with them. I was excited but nervous too.

“Josie baby calm down!” Tyfany said taking my hands in hers and pulling them apart.

“I am calm.” I snapped.

She rolled her eyes, “Look, just because it’s your favorite band there’s no reason for you to freak out okay? They’re just guys like anyone else they just happen to be smoking hot and famous.”

“I’m not nervous about meeting them I-” but I was cut off as the doors at the back of the venue opened and everyone walked out.

I was at the far end of the barricade separating the fans and them. I stood a little on my tiptoes so I could see further than my 5’7 frame allowed. They all had makers and were signing papers and CDs and taking pictures.

The guys had made it halfway through the line when a taxi van pulled up. The door flung open and Michelle came running out. Brian saw her and his face lit up. I watched as she jumped into his arms and whispered something to him. I was good a reading lips and when I saw what hers had to say my heart dropped.

The other girls climbed out and I saw Leana walk over to Jimmy. Well she more waddled because of the fact that was enormously pregnant. They were all happy.

“T-Tyfany I’m not feeling good all of a sudden. C-Can I have the keys to the car? I need to go lie down.” I said trying to hold back the tears.

“You don’t want to meet Avenged Sevenfold?” she asked.

I shook my head, “Please Tyfany. I really need to go back to the car. Please.” I said, I had to get out of here, they were getting closer. The girls had gone to the bus and they were signing stuff again.

“Okay. Here, I’ll get an autograph for you.” she said and handed me the keys.

As soon as they dropped in my hand I shot off just as Brian and Zacky were coming up to Tyfany. I ran as fast as my feet could take me, the tears running down my face. I found the car, shoved the key in the lock and opened the door.

I collapsed into the passenger seat and sobbed. Soon though my eyes ran dry and my chest was wracked with dry sobs that I though were going to tear my chest apart. I had to calm down, Tyfany would be back soon and I couldn’t tell her what was wrong. I just couldn’t.

I took a few deep breaths to calm myself before flipping down the sun visor. With a Kleenex I cleaned the black streaks from under my eyes that were left from crying and not wearing waterproof eyeliner. I managed to get myself fixed just as Tyfany came up and knocked on the window for me to unlock the door.

I opened it for her and she got in, “What went on back there?” she asked.

“I don’t feel good I told you that.” I replied.

She just nodded, “Okay. Here, I got the guys to sign this for you.” she said and handed me a sheet of paper with all five signatures on it.

I smiled at her, “Thanks, you’re the most amazing bestie ever.” I said and gave her a one armed hug.

“Well duh! I can’t believe that you’re just realizing this now.” she said with a laugh and pulled out of the parking lot.

*Brian’s POV 45 Minutes earlier*

I sunk into the ratty couch backstage and took a deep breath. I was completely worn out. I wanted nothing more at that moment than to crawl into my bunk and sleep till the next show.

However I knew that it wasn’t going to happen. In a few minutes we’d all go out back and sign autographs for the fans. We enjoyed doing it and it wouldn’t be fair to the fans to bail just because I hadn’t been sleeping.

Rev came in, his shirt around his neck and a beer in his hand an collapsed beside me, “You okay bro?” he asked.

I nodded, “Just tired.” I replied.

He nodded right back and took another swig of his beer. We all sat in silence for a few more minutes before Johnny sighed, “Guess we’d better get out there.” he said with a smile.

We all stood and headed out back. As soon as we walked through the doors the screaming started. I walked over to the barricade and started signing things for the kids. I talked to them a little before moving on to the ones next to them.

I had made it a good part of the way down the line when I heard a car pull up. I turned and saw a taxi coming to a stop. The next thing I knew Michelle was running at me. She took a leap mid-step and I caught her. She wrapped her legs around my waist and her arms around my neck before planting a huge kiss on my lips making the kids ‘Oooh’.

“I thought you were in Cancun.” I said with a smile.

“Well I was but then…” she said biting her lip.

“Then…?” I asked.

“I got a call from that doctor I went to a few weeks ago and he said that my blood tests came back.”

I felt my blood go cold, “W-What did they say?” I asked.

“That I’m pregnant.” she replied.

I almost dropped her in shock, “What? Really?!?” I asked.

She nodded and I spun her around. I couldn’t believe it. I was going to be a dad. Again. At the thought of Joey my mood darkened a little but Michelle didn’t catch on to it.

I sat her down and kissed her again, “Why don’t you go back to the bus with the other girls and I will be there after I finish up here okay?” I said.

She smiled and nodded and with another kiss she walked over to join a very pregnant Leana in walking back to the bus. I turned back to where I’d been a few moments before just in time to see a girl turn and run away.

A blond girl standing in front of me noticed me looking, “Sorry about that. My friend isn’t feeling too good.” she said with a small smile.

I continued to look at where the girl had run off to. She had looked so much like…no. Joey wasn’t here. She wasn’t anywhere that I’d looked for her. I had no clue where she was but it surely wasn’t here. I mean what are the chances that she’d be at one of our shows?
♠ ♠ ♠
Okay so for the sake of things lets just pretend that Nightmare did come out and it's not all about his death and the stuff our boys went through with it. I'd hate not to use it since it's got so many awesome songs :D Anyhow yet again i had to seperate this and the next chapter so hopefully i'll finish the next chapter soon and have it up for you! Thanks and Please review!!!!