Status: Complete. <3

Stricken

Pre-Birthday

Zara trotted up the porch steps of her house. The house was an eighty year old, white two story that had been an extreme make over job for her and her mom. The two had successfully finished it three years ago, and were proud of their all girl construction job.

Zara threw open the screen door, entering the house, a draft of cold air meeting her. Emily was sitting at the kitchen table, coloring.

“Mom got the air conditioner fixed?” Zara asked throwing her bag on the floor. Emily nodded, not looking up from her picture. Zara opened the refrigerator and grabbed a bottle of root beer. “You want a root beer?” she asked.

Emily turned around in her chair to look at her sister. “Mom says I can’t have any soda past seven.”

Zara grinned at her little sister. “Well it’s my...pre-birthday.” She opened another bottle and set it in front of her sister.

Emily smiled up at her, her bleach blonde bangs hanging in her big blue eyes. “Thanks,” she said.

“Zara? Are you home?” Debra’s voice called from upstairs.

Zara leaned against the counter. “Yeah, I’m here ”

Debra came down the stairs and into the kitchen. She was plumper and shorter than Zara, with the same color of blonde hair and brown eyes.

“I’m so glad your home,” her mother said exuberantly. She took her daughter’s hand and pulled her towards the front door. “Now I know tomorrow is your birthday, but I wanted to give this to you now since your going with Nicole into town tonight.”

Debra led Zara out of the house and to the old rickety shed behind it with Emily trailing behind them. When they reached the door, Debra turned to Zara. “Now close your eyes,” she commanded.

With an exasperated sigh, Zara closed her eyes. “Mom, you didn’t need to get me anything, really.” She heard the shed door screech open. She felt Emily take her hand and guide her under the shadow of the roof, the musky scent finding its way to her nose.

“Open your eyes!” Emily exclaimed.

Zara obeyed and her mouth dropped open. There leaning against the pile of moldy hay bales was an old motorbike. The forest green paint job looked new, however the chrome looked chipped and flaky.

But Zara didn’t care. “Oh my god, Mom! This is amazing! Thank you!” She hugged her mother tightly.

Debra chuckled. “I’m glad you like it. I wasn’t sure if I should take you seriously or not when you asked if you could have one!”

Zara sat down on it gingerly, marveling over it. “I love it,” she said and smiled up at Debra.

“Now you don’t have to hitch rides to the Frog’s anymore either,” Emily put in. Zara nodded in agreement. For the past year, she’d had to desperately find a ride to work at the Frog’s comic book store. It wasn’t the best job, but at least it was legal.

After the three had supper later that evening, Zara went up to her room to get ready to go the boardwalk with Nicole. Nicole and her had been friend’s ever since Zara had moved to Santa Carla ten years ago. The two had hit it off immediately. Nicole had shown her all what to do and not do in Santa Carla, along with keeping out of trouble.

However, lately that had changed. In the past four months, Nicole had spent overnight in jail twice. She’d gone to smoking and occasionally drinking. She’d also dyed her once brown hair to dark purple. Zara felt it was her turn to keep Nicole out of trouble and had stayed friends with her.

Debra knew none of this–except for the purple hair part–and Zara chose to keep it that way. Her mom would flip if she knew what Nicole was doing.

Zara brushed her hair out in front of the mirror, then slipped on a black and red t-shirt, a pair of blue jeans, and her tennis shoes.

“Don’t be too late!” her mom called from the living room.

“I won’t, Mom I’ll be back by eleven!” Zara yelled as she grabbed her jacket and ran out the door. It was warm out and Zara only needed the jacket when she was on her bike, which sat loyally in front of the fence.

She turned the engine on and it began to purr. A smile spread across her face. She spun out and headed down the long driveway to the road. She’d ridden Nicole’s brother’s lots of times and it wasn’t much different than this one.

Revving down the road, Zara let out a shout. “Freedom!”
♠ ♠ ♠
Comments? Subscribtions? :)