Status: Finished.

September

one thousand and two.

The beginning of September was always Ellie's favorite time of the year. It signaled the beginning of fall, her favorite season. The leaves were signaling their end by changing different colors. Some had already made their descend onto the black pavement. Children ran and sang along the sidewalks below her window returning home from a day of school. Smells of apple pie wafted through the air ducts of the two-story home.

She closed her eyes and smiled. Allowing her other senses take over, she sat back against the pale blue wall. Next door she heard the golden retriever barking, the timer in the kitchen shrilling, and car radios zooming by.

She could feel the soft fabric of the cushion she was perched upon, the stitching of the jeans placed upon her legs, and the bracelets along her arm sliding down.

She could taste the mint gum in her mouth, fading in flavor. Opening her eyes, she looked around the room, almost as if she forgot where she was for a moment.

Pulling herself up from the window seat, she found abandoned shoes from under her bed, and slid them onto her feet. Stepping down the wooden stairs, she stopped at the cupboard below the stairs, and pulled out a clean sheet.

Tucking it under her arm, she opened the wooden door and let her green eyes take over the scene. Her red hair was bellowing with the slight breeze, and she pushed it away from her obstruction of view. The neighbors were mowing the lawn, the kids were running around in a mysterious game, and the white car was parked along the curb.

Her lips pulled into a smile and she skipped down the stairs and stopped in front of the teenage boy before her. His brown hair was growing, not too long for her taste though. His blue eyes were smiling at her, sparkling with delight. His stance was relaxed, even as he leaned against the vehicle.

"Took you long enough," his deep voice joked.

She smiled and held out the cotton fabric.

"Ready to go?" Her sweet voice rang out to his ears, a sweet melody. He nodded, and then held open the passenger door for her to slide into.

The ignition was loud on the busy street, causing the people to turn and stare at the noise. Leaning back into the leather seats, Ellie inhaled the sweet scent of his cologne.

Zachary Lonne was a mysterious figure to most people in town. But Ellie had him all figured out, the moment their eyes met across the room, she knew his story. He didn't enjoy crowds, but more of a private place. He liked his music loud, but respected others. His words were lyrics to her ears, but only shared with a few. Ellie had met him a few years pervious, and instantly fell in love with him.

He was everything her parents hated, and that made it all the more thrilling. She normally followed every rule laid out by her parents, teachers, and coaches, but there was just something that attracted her to Zach.

Ellie Malloy was the good girl though, Zach couldn't fathom how he ended up with the red headed beauty, but he did. They spent their afternoons together, in peace. She often wrote or read, and he would pluck the strings on her guitar or just think. She was his perfect match, his soul mate if you would.

Their days were numbered though; his father would be separating them miles apart. He had yet to Ellie, but he didn't know how to word the right sentence. Everything he rehearsed sounded bad; it left a bitter taste in his mouth.

Turning the final right hand turn, he shut off the vehicle and starred at the gate. The gate led them to a park that was filled with trees and paths for walkers. There was a perfect spot beneath the oaks that was a spot to rest and relax. Turning and meeting her eyes, he smiled and got out the car.

Meeting her on the other side, their hands intertwined, and they began to walk towards the path. They often walked in silence; it's just how they were. Sometimes they shared memories from their days, but they just enjoyed the presence of one another.

Stopping before the spot, he took her hand and pulled her. Stopping, she met his eyes and questioned him.

"What are you doing?" He shook his head and released a long breath.

"I have to leave." She looked at him, then the car.

"Oh okay, we can go then." He stopped her by shaking his head again.

"No, I mean my family and I. We're leaving," his eyes, that were previously starring at the ground, met hers. "My father is being transferred."

Her stomach flopped; she looked around, and felt helpless.

"Oh," she couldn't form any other words. She desperately tried to make her lips form new words, but it was a failure. "I see."

Her eyes began to cloud over; it was his worst nightmare to see her so upset. He took her hands and led her to the small distance before throwing out the sheet. Taking her with him, they laid on the ground. His thumbs, rough to her skin, wiped away the salt tears. He closed his eyes, willed for that day to not be happening, and opened them.

"Please don't cry." She covered her eyes with her hands and felt a sob trying to escape.

"I'm sorry," he pulled her body to his and wrapped his arms around her.

"Don't apologize, if I could stay here with you forever I could." She nodded and looked at him.

A trace of the smile he once wore was long gone. She pushed her lips to his, he immediately responded to her. Their lips danced together, in a soft rhythm. Kissing her forehead, he leaned
back and caught her glance.

"I'll always love you Ellie Marie."

"And I'll always be waiting for you."
♠ ♠ ♠
Let me know what you think.
:)