‹ Prequel: I don't need you

Everything's Different Now

Reunited

Escaping the sudden downpour I rush into a small coffee shop, shaking the excess rain from my jacket sleeves I look around before spotting a vacant table in the corner by a large window.

As I take a seat I pull out my phone and finish reading the text I got from my older brother Kevin only moments ago.

"Tables are for customers only." I voice says from above me, I look up seeing a grey haired woman standing in front of me "You gonna order something?" she continues, pulling out a notepad and pencil.

"Oh, can I just get a Latte please."

"Regular or large?"

"Regular please."

She smiles and swiftly turns heading towards the counter where there is already a queue forming of people grabbing there lunch time coffee, or just getting out of the rain like me. I look back down at my phone and start replying to Kevin's message, he's getting married in a few weeks and needs me to go to my tux fitting; I'm supposed to be on my way now but I'm sure a ten minutes won't hurt.

"One Latte. Would you like anything else?" a voice spoke, much different to that of the older lady which served me.

"No thanks." I say my eyes still on my phone screen, by the time I look up the waitress has already turned away and walking to a table, picking up the empty cups and plates.

Taking a sip from my drink I look out the window, the rain has already started lightening up; hopefully by the time I've finished my Latte it's stopped.

After about five minutes of looking out the window and then around the room I finish the remainder of my drink, taking my wallet from my pocket I place a five dollar note on the table and grab my jacket. Kevin will probably kill me if I'm any later, maybe if I speed walk I'll make it just in time. Once outside I walk about ten feet before my attention is drawn to the hand on my shoulder.

----------

Tying my small apron around my waist I pull out a bottle of disinfectant and a cloth and begin cleaning the recently vacant tables, collecting the used mugs and plates and stacking them onto a nearby tray. Once I'm finished I carry the tray to the counter and place them into the sink to be washed.

This is how I spend my work day, it has been for a couple of years now. Not that I'm complaining, I like my life. It's simple and... safe. I know that sounds boring but my life before I came to New York was traumatizing enough for me to want a ‘boring' lifestyle. My dad died, my step dad abused me and one day I woke up and my mother was gone. Add that to my high school life and I was more then willing to commit suicide, but that didn't happen. Someone came into my life and he stopped me, at the last minute but at least he cared enough to do something. He meant the world to me and I went and did something terrible... I left him. I just got up and left without a word, except for a note. Kind of like what my mum did to me, but she didn't leave me a note. Well anyway, after I left I came here and went to college; at first it was tough and a few unexpected events did happen but I sorted everything out and here I am, a graduate working in a coffee shop. Five years really does go quickly, I have to be honest I would have thought that I'd have a better job seeing as I've been here so long; but I'm thankful for it none the less.

"Erica" Linda said as she passed a customer their order, she the eldest person working here, she's in her late 40's and has been employed here since the place opened. She's always mentioning that she's planning on leaving but she never does, I think she's too attached. "Do you mind taking this Latte to table 12." she slid the tray across the counter towards me before turning her attention back to the queue, I hate the lunch time rush. An hour of continuous table cleaning and order taking, today in particular has been a right pain in the butt. Grabbing the tray I make my way towards the corner table which is occupied by a guy on his phone.

"One Latte. Would you like anything else?" I ask placing his order on the table

"No thanks." he muttered keeping his attention on his phone. Sure, don't give me any eye contact, I'm just the waitress giving you your order! Some people can be so rude.

Taking the empty tray I pick up the dirty cups on a nearby table and quickly wipe over the surface.

"He‘s handsome isn‘t he." Linda smiled as I walk behind her

"Who?" I ask placing the tray down

"The guy at table 12." she lightly nudged me with her elbow "What can I get for you?" she said turning her attention back to the queue. I take note of the order and start making it as she takes the money

"I didn‘t see his face." I sighed grabbing a napkin, looking over at the guy he's now staring out the window. I pass the order to the customer who mumbles a thank you and drops some change into the tip jar.

"How can you not see-"

"He was more interested in his phone." I answered before Linda can finish the question, as she served the next person I scampered to the back room to get my work sweater; I normally don't wear it but the constant opening and closing of the entrance combined with the chilly weather I'm starting to re think this decision. Pulling it on and readjusting my apron I head back to help Linda, my day isn't normally this hectic because there's supposed to be three of us working but John- I like to call him ‘Kenny' because he has a puffy orange coat which reminds me of Kenny from south park- well he called in sick so it's just me and Linda today.

"Erica, some costumers are waiting for clean tables." She called out to me as she closed the cash register.

"Again?" I groaned pulling out a tray and cloth for the millionth time today. As I walk around the counter the first table my eyes land on is table 12, where ‘Mr Rudeness' was sitting. Picking up the empty mug and cash I start wiping the table before noticing he's left his phone. I look around and see he's only just stepping outside the door, I put the tray down on the counter

"Excuse me" I call out to him as I quickly follow him outside ignoring the light rain, great he's rude and deaf. "Excuse me!" I say again but he still doesn't hear me. Once I'm close enough I reach out and grab his shoulder.

"Excuse me you left your-" I abruptly stop talking as he turns and looks at me. Finally realising my mouth is slightly hanging open I clear my throat "You-You left your phone on the table."
♠ ♠ ♠
Finally managed to post this, i had it written a few days ago but my internet was being tempremental. Anyway it's up and running and I hope you enjoy.