‹ Prequel: I don't need you

Everything's Different Now

Valuable Information

"Food should be here in about 20 minutes." I sigh putting the phone down onto the table

"Great I'm starving." Ashley smiles from across the room as she continued looking at the photos I have hanging on the wall. I have to admit at first I was a little concerned about inviting Ashley over but she's actually really nice.

"Is this your brother?" she asked pointing to a picture, I lean forward to get a better look.

"No, that's Kenny. He's a good friend of mine, that's a photo from his birthday last year. I don't even have a brother." I explain

"Oh- any sisters?"

"Nope." I answer shaking my head.

"Only child. Me too." Walking back to the sofa she sits down and faces me tucking her legs underneath so she's sitting on them "So how long have you been in New York?"

"A couple years now. I moved here when I started college. What about you? How long have you been here?"

"A few weeks." She shrugs "I just decided on a change of scenery."

"Where did you-" I'm cut off by the sound of knocking on my door.

"That can't be the food already." Ashley said looking at her watch

"They would have used the buzzer, might be Kelly from next door." I mutter getting up and heading to the door.

Reaching for the handle I pull the door open a little, enough to stick my head round.

"Oh hey." Seeing Joe I open the door a little wider "What are you doing here?" I ask leaning on the door frame.

"Well you didn't stay very long and I wanted to make sure you were ok; and I wanted to give you back your phone. You left it on the table." Holding my phone out I take it from him

"I didn't even realize I forgot it." I say slowly spinning it in my hand. "How did you get in?" I ask remembering I didn't buzz him inside.

"A woman was leaving as I got here." He shrugged "So is everything ok?"

"Of course. Why wouldn't it be?"

"Like I said you didn't stay very long."

"I know, I'm sorry. If I'm honest, I really wasn't comfortable around Justin." Biting my lip I wait for Joe's reaction.

"Was it the whole flirting thing? I tell him to tone it down but-"

"It was the whole happy his dad is dead thing." I quickly explain

"Oh, right. I'm really sorry-"

"You don't need to apologise Joe, like you said it's how he feels. I guess I just have a hard time understanding it."

"Ok." He nods. Standing there in silence Joe slowly sways back and forth, his hands clasped together.

"Is there anything else?" I laugh

"Oh sorry. I just thought you might invite me in." he laughed back

"I would but I've actually got company, you can come in if you-"

"No, I don't wanna interrupt... I'll see later then." Stepping back Joe briefly waves.

"Sure. Bye." I smile before closing the door.

As I walk back into the living room Ashley is looking up at me smirking with her chin resting on the back of the sofa.

"What?" I ask stopping in place.

"Who was that?" she asks

"Oh, no-one. Just Joe." I shrug

"Joe? And is Joe your boyfriend?"

"No, me and Joe are old friends."

"With benefits?" Ashley's eyes widen and the smile on her face grows

"No!" I laugh walking into the kitchen to get a drink

"Oh come on. He's good looking." She said appearing behind me

"How would you know? You didn't even see him."

"I could tell by his voice... It's a gift of mine." She shrugged "My point is, you can't be just friends with someone who's good looking."

"Since when?"

"Since the dawn of time, sexual attraction is a very powerful thing." Pausing she looks around the room then quickly grabs the ultrasound photo from the fridge. I really need to hide that.

"A baby is the perfect example of the power that sexual attraction has." She continues holding the photo in front of my face.

"You're insane." I laugh taking it from her.

"Whose kid is that anyway?"

"Er- well... she's mine."

"Wait, you have a baby?"

"No, I had a baby and I'd rather not talk about it." I sigh
♠ ♠ ♠
I know this is a short update and kinda rubbish but I just wanted to give you guys something... sort of my christmas gift to you.

This is most likely my last chapter of 2010, I'll try and make my first chapter of 2011 as amazing as I can.

Merry Christmas and hope you guys have an awesome New Year

xoxo