‹ Prequel: I don't need you

Everything's Different Now

Lies And Undercover Spies

"Who is this Ashley girl anyway?" Kenny asked as he finished preparing a customer's coffee and sliding it to her.

"Well she says that she's new to the city and decided I was someone she wanted to be friends with." I shrug.

"You don't sound like you're glad about it." Crossing his arms he leans back against the counter.

"No, she's really nice. Besides it's a relief to have someone else to hang out with rather then you and Joe." I laugh

"Oh well I'm sorry I'm not enough." He scoffed

"You know what I mean. I need a girl to talk to."

"Well at least I don't have to be the one to listen to you talk about Joe anymore." He sighed "So apart from being new to the city what else do you know about her?"

"Not much, she's more of a listener then a talker."

"And that doesn't worry you?" Kenny asked briefly looking behind him to make sure there wasn't anyone waiting to be served.

"Why should it?"

"I don't know, just seems a little odd." He muttered bowing his head down his jaw clenching and relaxing slightly

"How? Think about it, how often did I talk about myself when we first met?"

"Good point. Just don't share too much." He said pointing at me and lightly pressing my nose.

"Kenny I hardly think she's a spy sent to find out my life story." I laughed batting his hand away.

----------

Pushing my arm out from under my bed sheet I feel around the nightstand for my phone. Finally grabbing hold, I press it to my ear keeping my eyes closed.

"Hello" I grumble still half asleep

"Hey Joe." A cheery voice answers.

Forcing my eyes open I roll onto my back and hold my phone in front of my face to look at the caller I.D.

Unknown number

"Who is this?" I yawn

"Don't tell me you deleted my number. Joe you are-"

"Ashley?" I quickly ask, the recognition of her voice finally registering in my brain.

"Yes?"

"Why are you calling me?"

"Because you won't buzz me in. I've been standing outside for a few minutes now and-"

"You're outside?!" I shout, bolting upright.

"Bloody hell, way to make me deaf. Yes I'm outside now let me in."

"Ashley I don't know why you're here, but will you please leave." I ask trying to keep as calm as possible.

"I'm sorry Joe but I can't do that. I have something important to say to you. In person."

"I'm not interested in anything you have to-"

"Joe I'm not leaving. So you either let me in now or I will continue to press this buzzer until you do."

Hearing the distant sound of the buzzer both outside my bedroom and on the phone I hang up, stomping through my apartment until I reach the intercom to let her in.

I know I'll regret this the moment she walks through that door but if this is the only way to get rid of her then I might as well get it over and done with. I can't say I'm surprised, when I broke up with Ashley she dealt with it pretty well and I've always had this worry that one day she'd show up with a knife in one hand getting ready to murder me in my sleep. I have an active imagination.

"Joe it's almost noon, you shouldn't sleep in this late. You're sleeping the day away." Ashley tutted walking straight in the moment I open the door. Pulling her coat off, she places it in the coat closet before putting her bag on the floor.

"Ashley what do you want?" I ask slamming the door shut

"I come all this way, and that's how you greet me? That's gratitude for you."

"Ashley!" I shout

"Will you let me finish!" She demands, putting her hands on her hips.

"Just get to the point. Why are you here?"

"I just wanted you to know that I know about your little friend .... Erica-" she said sneering at the word ‘friend' "-and that she is the reason you broke up with me."

"I didn't break up with you because of Erica; and how the hell do you even know about her?"

"Oh please, did you really think I'd believe that pathetic excuse you gave me? ‘I don't think I'm ready for a relationship'-" she quoted "And it doesn't matter how I know about her, the fact is I do."

"Whatever. If that's all, get out." I reach out for the door handle

"Oh, I'm not done." She says before I can open the door "The fact that you would choose a girl who was stupid enough to get knocked up in the first place surprises me, and the fact that you want her even though she gave it away is even worse." She continues, crossing her arms and looking at me disapprovingly.

Who the hell does she think she is?

"You don't know anything about Erica." I angrily mutter forcing myself to look Ashley in the eye.

"I know plenty." She whispered "But there is something I do want to ask.... Were you there? When Erica had the baby I mean."

"That's none of your business."

"I'll take that as a no. I'm guessing that means you haven't seen it either?"

"Why would I?" I shrug pushing my hand through my bed hair.

Ashley looks at me, the expression on her face changing slightly "You don't know do you?" she smirked "Well that's very interesting."

"Will you just leave. Whatever it is you think-"

"There's something you need to see." She quickly interrupted, reaching down into her bag and pulling out an envelope.

Taking a deep breath I follow her as she walks to the living room and sits on the sofa patting the empty space next to her.

Part of me wants to pull her off that seat and get her to leave but most of me really wants to know what it is she has to say. What is it I don't know?

"You have 5 minutes." I mutter sitting as far away from her on the sofa as I can. Rolling her eyes she moves closer and shifts so she's facing me.

"Here. Open it." She sighs handing me the envelope. Taking it from her I pull out the sheet of photocopied paper inside. It's not until I read the top I realize it's a birth certificate.

"Why are you showing me this?" I ask handing it back to her.

"Read it." She urges pushing my hand away.

"I know what it is; I don't have to read it. How did you even get this anyway?" I ask sliding the paper onto the coffee table.

"Friend of friend who works at the place where they keep them." She shrugs

"You know someone who works at the department of health?" I scoff

"Is that really important?" she snaps yanking the paper out and pressing it against my chest "Just read it."

Scanning my eyes over the paper, I look over each section. Her name's Darcy? It's a nice name but I never would have expected Erica to name her that. After a few moments I notice what Ashley wants me to see.

Clear as day, in black and white.

Fathers Name: Joseph Adam Jonas
♠ ♠ ♠
First chapter of the new year. Woo!

Bet you all thought i'd keep the baby story all nice and simple.... if you did you don't know me at all. I like writing the drama =]

I know the chapter name is kinda cheesy but i couldn't help but make it rhyme lol