‹ Prequel: I don't need you

Everything's Different Now

You're Practically The Same Person

After a few moments of uncontrollable crying I finally start getting some self control. I can't believe I've let myself break down in front of Joe like that.

"Sorry about that." I sniffle as I step away from Joe and quickly wipe my hand over my cheeks. "You should go back. Spend some more time with Darcy."

"I'm not letting you leave in this state." He said taking a step towards me but I step back again trying to keep a distance.

"I'm fine really, it was just a momentary loss of self control." I shrug

"Erica don't be ashamed of the fact you miss your daughter."

"Who said I was ashamed? Joe just go back, you want her in your life? This is your chance."

"What are you talking about? Erica where have you gotten the idea that I'm desperately trying to take that little girl away from her family?"

"From you." I laugh

"Erica I just wanted to meet her, I just want to be able to live out the rest of my life without wondering who she is or what she's like. If she grows up and wants to find me then great, but I'm not taking her away."

"So you're not trying to get her back?" I ask, surprised that I actually had this whole situation wrong and Joe wasn't about to ruin everything.

"Of course not. She's obviously happy, why should I risk destroying that by worming my way in? Besides I've got enough going on in my life." Joe paused briefly and studied the look on my face "Is this why you didn't want me seeing her? Because you thought I'd want to get her back?"

"Something like that." I mutter

"I'd be lying if I said I don't wonder what it would be like if we had been raising her from the start but we're not, and I'm ok with that."

Looking away from Joe a take a breath trying to decide whether to keep talking to him or just run away; even when he's not trying he somehow always manages to make me feel guilty. "I really am sorry I didn't tell you I was pregnant. Seeing you with her.... you would've been a great dad."

"You think?" he smiles

"Yea." I smile back with a quick nod.

I haven't felt like this with Joe in years; it was back at prom when Joe had that fight with Calvin and....I don't know how to explain it..... it's that feeling when you've finally resolved something and you can relax and enjoy the moment. I know there's a lot of issues that me and Joe have to work through but Darcy isn't one of them anymore. I know it sounds cheesy but we're one step closer to being real friends again.

"I should go." I sigh finally realising this silence has gone on for too long.

"You're going home? We've finally started sorting everything out and you want to go home?"

"Will it help if I say you're welcome to come too? Maybe we can hang out, like normal people." I laugh

"Sounds like a plan. Let's go." He said linking my arm with his.

-----

"Are you sure you're going to be ok now?" I ask Erica as we step out the elevator and head towards her apartment door.

"For the forth time Joe. Yes. I'm fine!" she groaned, a hint of laughter in her voice.

"Ok, ok just checking. But look if you-"

"If I ever want to talk about it, you're here for me. I know." She sighed taking her keys out and putting it in the lock before pausing to face me "You're doing it again."

"Doing what?"

"That thing you did in school when you would tell me how you're there for me and that you'll take care of me. I appreciate it Joe, but I don't need to be taken care of." she said lighting patting my shoulder

"You said that last time. Do you remember what happened?" I smirk

"I was a kid back then. I'm all grown up now."

"Yea, yea, yea. Just open the door."

Turning the key Erica finally unlocked the door and walked inside, following her she suddenly came to a halt making me almost trip over her.

"Oh my god." She gasped, it takes me a moment to pay attention to the mess in her apartment. Half the furniture has been flipped over and almost everything has been thrown across the floor.

"Were you robbed?" I asked stepping around her and walking further inside. "Erica?"

"I don't know!" She shouts walking passed me and into her bedroom.

"Where are you going?" I call out

"To see if anything's missing!"

Taking a breath I ignore her anger and carefully step over the scattered objects on the floor. Reaching the coffee table I notice a folded up sheet of paper with Erica's name written on it. Picking it up I know I should give it straight to her but curiosity gets the better of me.

Since exposing your little secret didn't have the desired effect on your relationship with Joe I have no choice but to find other ways of punishing you.

Tell Joe Ashley says hi.

"I don't think anything's missing." Erica said as she rushed passed me in a panic. Quickly scrunching up the note I force it into my jacket pocket before Erica can see it. I'd rather have her think she's been robbed then know Ashley has decided to start torturing her. What is wrong with that girl? I knew she was clingy but I didn't think she'd actually become completely insane!

"Don't get me wrong I'm glad nothing has been taken but why would someone break in and not steal anything?" She asked looking around the room.

"Er.... I don't know."

As Erica continues looking around the apartment I can hear her muttering to herself but I can't understand what. "I'm gonna start tidying stuff up ok?" I say before lifting the armchair so it's back in it's proper position.

"It's fine I'll do it, besides you don't know where everything goes."

"I wanna help, and it'll give me something to do before I have to be a Justin's for his house warming party."

"He's having a house warming party?" she asks looking away from whatever it is she's doing and at me.

"Yea, it's sort of last minute and I can't say no because I said no to helping him move the furniture in this morning. You should come too, if anyone can throw a good last minute party its Justin."

"I don't think that's a good idea." She said briefly looking up at me as she picks up a couple picture frames from the floor.

"Because you don't like him." I shouldn't be surprised she said no, I would have been more surprised if she said she did want to go.

"That and the fact my apartment has been trashed and I need to fix it."

****

"Erica are you done yet?" I shout cleaning up the last of the mess in the living room. Erica's been cleaning up her bedroom for at least two hours now. "Erica?" I shout again since there's been no answer. Going to the bedroom I walk inside to find her sat on the edge of her bed, the room only partly cleaner then when she started.

"What are you doing?" I ask walking over and squatting down in front of her, it's only now that I see she's holding onto a torn photo. Slowly taking it from her I put the two largest pieces together realising it's the photo she has of the two of us at the beach. The one that caught my attention the first time I came here. "Did you do this?" I ask putting the photo pieces on the bed.

"Of course I didn't do it." Erica snapped, her eyes briefly glaring at me. "I'm sorry." She apologised burying her face in her hands.

"It's ok Erica. It's just a photo." I said trying to comfort her.

"Joe just- just leave please."

Ignoring her request I keep trying. "It's not a big deal Erica."

"You think I don't know that? Of course I know it's just a photo Joe. I just don't understand why someone would break in, trash my place and tear up this photo. Why this photo? It doesn't make any sense."

"Maybe it was random?" I suggest even though I know nothing Ashley does is ever random.

"It wasn't random. You don't randomly take a photo out of a frame and tear it up, why not just throw it across the room like the others?"

"I don't know." standing up I sit next to her on the bed. I should tell her the truth right? It'll stop her from going crazy with all these questions. Putting my hand into my pocket to take out the note Ashley had left, I hesitate for a second "Erica there's something-"

"Erica! Are you home!" I'm cut off my the sound of Kenny closing the front door so I quickly push the note back into my pocket before Erica has time to see it and before Kenny can walk in.

"In here!" Erica shouts finally looking away from her lap.

"I came to ask if you wanted to- what is he doing here? And what happened to your room?" Kenny asked looking at me and then at the mess in the room. "Did you do this?" he demanded glaring at me again.

"Yea, we were having really aggressive sex and it got a little intense." I shot back.

"Wow, he has jokes." he gasped trying to patronize me

"Whose said i was joking?"

"Do you have to do this right now?" Erica said looking at me but talking to both of us. She finally looks in Kenny's direction "Someone broke in while I was gone. Joe was helping to tidy up."

"You did a great job Joe." Kenny responded gesturing to the room.

"Where were you?!" I argue

"If I knew I would have been here and I would have done a better job at it too."

"Have you looked at the rest of the apartment? Or is your main focus Erica's bedroom?"

"Oh! So you want to talk about Erica's bedroom?"

Standing up I step towards him "Don't even-"

"I'm not the one who got her pregnant. Who gets their friend - who doesn't even love you by the way- pregnant? When are you going to get it in your head that she doesn't-"

"WILL YOU BOTH STOP IT!!"

Me and Kenny both stop and look at Erica. "Kenny can you wait in the living room please." Without arguing he leaves but not before shooting another glare at me.

"I really wish you two would stop this." She said pushing her hands over her face and standing up.

"He started it." I protested

"What was it you were gonna say?"

"I was going to tell him to-"

"I don't mean Kenny. I mean what were you going to say to me? Before he came in."

"Oh, nothing." I lie "Don't worry about it."

"Joe just tell time."

"Er..." come on Joe think of something. Something believable. "I was just going to say that if you change your mind about going to Justin's party then you're more then welcome to go. He said it starts at nine but really he means ten."

"Thanks, but like I said earlier I don't think it's a good idea." She said before giving me a ‘sorry' smile.

"I'm going to text you the address anyway.... Just in case you change your mind."

She nods and stands there in silence obviously trying to think of something to say "You should probably go, Kenny can be impatient sometimes. And thanks.... For helping me clean up."

"No problem. Thanks again for letting me see Darcy." I give her a quick hug before leaving the room not the slightest bit surprised to find Kenny standing a couple feet away from the door.

"How does it feel being replaced?" he smirks as I walk pass.

Stopping in front of him I ignore the fact that Erica is watching "A little tip about replacements. They never really compare to the original." I smirk back

----

"Was that really necessary?" I ask Kenny after closing the front door once Joe has left.

"I can't help it." He shrugs

"The problem with you and Joe is that you are both practically the same and- like magnets- you repel each other."

"First of all I'm nothing like him, and secondly I hate that guy and everything he's ever done to you."

"You know there's a fine line between love and hate." I sigh crossing my arms and walking towards him

"What is that supposed to mean?"

"I mean maybe you hate Joe because you secretly love him." I tease patting his chest and walk into my newly tidied living room. I'm impressed, Joe actually did I pretty good job.

"Are you calling me gay?" Kenny asked appearing next to me

"I don't know, are you?"

"No." he argued

"It's ok if you are. There's nothing wrong with it."

"I'm not gay!"

"Ok, ok. I was just asking. Why are you here anyway?" I ask dropping myself onto the sofa

"I came to ask if you wanted to go watch a movie but considering the state of your room I think it'll be better if I stay and help you fix it."

Hmm another similarity to Joe. They really are one in the same. "Actually I think a movie would be good. I need to spend some time away from that mess."
♠ ♠ ♠
Thoughts? Likes, dislikes? I like comments so keep em' coming. =D

My college year is almost up (just a couple more weeks) so i'll have unlimited writing time once i've submitted all my coursework, which means more updates. Woo!

On a side note is anyone else extremely excited for Joe's solo stuff?

Not long now!! Yay!!