‹ Prequel: I don't need you

Everything's Different Now

Saying Sorry

I shift closer to Joe in my seat next to his hospital bed, holding his hand I lean on my elbow letting it sink into the mattress. Lightly squeezing his hand I kiss his knuckles waiting for him to regain consciousness. Joe had woken up while we were in the ambulance on the way here but after a few moments he fell unconscious again, thankfully he only has a mild concussion and a small fracture on the back of his skull. The doctor said he should be ok. I've been sitting here for about twenty minutes now and he still hasn't woken up, the doctor said it might be awhile and not to panic. How can I not panic? He was hit over the head with a baseball bat and I'm being told to stay calm?

Closing my eyes I keep my face resting on mine and Joe's hand. My eyes snap open as I feel Joe's finger twitch and slowly tighten around my hand.

"Joe" I whisper trying to stay calm. Joe's mouth opens a little but his eyes stay closed. "Joe, can you hear me?"

Feeling his grip on my hand tighten again I can't help but smile, looking back at Joe I watch as his eyes slowly flicker open.

"Erica." He said, his voice sounding dry and raspy.

"I'm here Joe. I'm right here." A tear runs down my face as I reach out and place my hand over Joe's cheek, my thumb grazing over his stubble. Joe's head leans against my hand. "How are you feeling?" I ask.

"Thirsty."

I let out a laugh, letting go of Joe's hand I pick up the nearby jug off water and pour a little into the glass. Moving closer to Joe, I slowing lift his head a little so he can drink. After having a few sips Joe licks his lips and instantly looks fresher and slightly more alert.

"Better?" I smile putting the glass down.

"Much." He said shifting in the bed and rubbing his fingers over his forehead.

"So.... How are you feeling?" I ask again not really sure of what else to say.

"Sick. Confused. Like I've been hit over the head." He groaned "What happened?"

"You were hit over the head." I lightly laugh, Joe's looks more confused and he rubs his eyes.

"What do you remember?" I ask pushing the front of his hair back.

"Er... I was heading to your place; I wanted to surprise you after you got home from work. I don't even remember getting there." I can tell Joe's trying to force himself to remember and probably making his headache worse.

"Well I got home and I found you unconscious on my apartment floor. Ashley was there and she had a baseball bat." I explain

"Wh- Are you ok? Did she hurt you?" Joe's eyes widen in shock

"Joe I'm fine. You're the one in hospital remember."

Relaxing again Joe shock his head "I don't understand why she was there?"

"She kept saying she thought it was me; so I guess she was there to get me." I shrug.

"This is my fault." Joe muttered to himself "I'm so sorry Erica."

"No Joe, it's not your fault. Don't apologise."

Joe slid his hand under mine and I took hold of it "Thank you." He smiled weakly

"For what?" I smile back

"Being here."

"Where else would I be? We're in a relationship now, you're stuck with me." I said leaning further forward so I was closer to Joe.

"So how bad is it?" Joe asked referring to his injuries.

"Well, thankfully Ashley has a bad swing and it's only a mild concussion and small fracture. The doctor said you'll be ok. They wanna keep you overnight for observation and then I can take you home." I explain as Joe nods in understanding.

"Did you call my parents?"

"Yea. They said they'll be here as soon as they can, I did tell them you were ok and they don't need to rush over but they insisted."

"Trying to keep me all to yourself?" Joe laughed raising his eyebrows.

"Of course." I wink

Me and Joe both fall silent and look at each other for a moment, looking at him in this state makes me go teary eyed again. I can't help it.

"Baby what's wrong?"

Baby? Joe's never called me that before, he's never really given me any pet name.

"I'm just really glad you're ok. I was worried." Placing my hand back on Joe's face he brings my other hand to his lips and kisses my fingers.

"You don't have to worry about me." He whispers placing my hand on his chest.

Feeling overwhelmed I pull away both my hands, wiping them over my cheeks I stand up, my chair dragging across the floor.

"Ok so, I'm going to go to your apartment to get you a few things." I said picking up my bag. Leaning forwards I kiss Joe "I won't be long." Before I can step back Joe takes my hand so I stay where I am, lifting his head off the pillow he kisses me.

"I'm missing you already." He smiles

"You're so cheesy." I laugh. Stepping back I leave the room giving Joe a quick wave before I close the door. Never in my life did I think I'd be this concerned about Joe, then again I never thought me and Joe would be ‘together'.

As I walk down the hall I reach the waiting area and press the button for the nearby elevator.

"Erica!" A voice calls out, looking back I see Ashley coming towards me.

"What are you doing here?" I demand trying to keep my voice down.

"Is Joe ok?" she asked looking panicked and nervously pressing her hands together.

"You hit him over the head of course he's not ok."

Dropping her hands to her side Ashley's eyes start filling with tears "I didn't mean to... I thought- I thought it was you."

"Oh well that makes it all ok then." I snap, hearing the elevator door open I turn away from her and step inside. Before it can close she stops the door with her hand.

"I need to see him. He needs to know I never meant to hurt him, not like this."

"What you need is help." I said not afraid to show my anger "Why don't you stop using all your energy into destroying mine and Joe's relationship and put it towards either getting over him or finding a guy who actually wants to be with you."

"I know Joe wants to be with me." she muttered looking away from me.

"Oh my god! No he doesn't! Maybe if you actually paid attention you would realise that." I shout. Why is it so difficult for her to understand he doesn't want her anymore?

"I need to see him." She said clearly ignoring me.

"I don't even care any more. Do what you want, I don't have time to deal with you right now."

-----

Scanning the hospital room I look in the far corner where my clothes have been put on a chair, my eyes then go back to where Erica was sitting.

I was hoping she'd stay a little longer before leaving, I know she said she wouldn't be long but being alone in a hospital bed isn't exactly a pleasant experience. It really meant a lot to me that she was here; it shows she really does care. I just wish I could remember what happened, and that this stupid headache would go away. Aren't they're supposed to give me pain killers?

Hearing the door open I look up and see Ashley slowly stepping inside.

"Hi" she quietly spoke, without moving closer she stays in front of the door after closing it behind her.

"Did you come to take another swing at me?" I sigh

"Joe I didn't mean to. I thought-"

"You thought I was Erica. So I've been told." I interrupt sounding angrier then before.

Ashley walked towards me and sat in the chair next to the bed, she reached out to hold my hand but I pull it away from her.

Seeing the hurt expression on her face I look away from her. "Joe I'm sorry." She muttered

"Why were you even there!" I shout not caring that the outburst has shocked her.

"I- I knew what time she'd be home from work so I got there early and broke into her apartment. When the door opened I didn't stop to look at who it was, I just swung the bat. By the time I realised what I did you were on the floor. Then Erica came in..... I panicked and I left."

"I gathered that! I just don't understand what was going through your head, why would you attack her when it's me you're pissed at?"

"I wanted to do to you what you did to me!" She shouts before stopping to take a breath "I love you Joe and you really hurt me when we broke up, I knew that the only way to make you feel the pain of losing someone was to get rid of Erica. You wouldn't stop seeing her so I did the only other thing I could think of." She said on the verge of tears.

"And that was to try and kill her?!"

"No!" Ashley paused to look at me "I didn't want to kill her. I just wanted her to be too scared to see you."

Shaking my head in disbelief I let out a sigh "Ashley this needs to stop."

"You think I don't know that!" she yells in frustration.

Looking at her in silence I chew on the inside of my cheek for a moment "You need to leave, if Erica comes back and sees you-"

"She knows I'm here. She saw me as she was leaving." Ashley pauses and looks at her watch "I guess it is getting late. I really am sorry."

I nod and watch as she stands up, before stepping away Ashley stops "I know what I need to do Joe."

"What's that?" I ask expecting her to make yet another threat or tell me about another ‘get rid of Erica' scheme.

"I think it'll be a good idea for me to get out of the city. I might ask my sister if I can stay with her for a while, until I'm ready to come back. I'm never going to happy that you chose Erica over me but I know have to get over it, I can't risk hurting you like this again." As Ashley walks to the door and opens it I feel like I should make one last attempt to make her feel better.

"Ashley I never chose Erica over you. She just happened to show up after we broke up."

"That's not the way I see it." She said not looking back at me before walking outside and closing the door.
♠ ♠ ♠
So, Ashley's now gone. As you can see i've tried to show another side to her. I didn't want her to be a one dimensional character who's just 'evil' because she isn't, she snapped and there's a reason she acted the way she did.