‹ Prequel: I don't need you

Everything's Different Now

Being Happy

Slamming my hand over my beeping alarm I force my eyes open and stretch my arms up over my head.

“Ignore it.” Joe mumbled wrapping his arm around my waist, keeping his eyes closed.

“I can’t, some of us actually go to work.” I yawn

“I go to work. I just happen to have an evening shift today.” Joe finally opens his eyes and looks at me. “I was paranoid that if I fell asleep I’d wake up in an empty bed.”

“I’m not going anywhere.” I sigh running my fingers over Joe’s arm.

“Are you sure? When we had that fight yesterday I thought-”

“That fight was me being an over dramatic cow. When you walked out-“

“You told me to leave.” he interuppted and moved so he was sitting up.

“I know but when you did I realised that I was being an idiot and that if I let the smallest thing get me angry then I will lose you and I don’t want that to happen.”

Letting Joe stroke my hair he stayed slient for a few seconds “I don’t have a problem with you being angry Erica. I just don’t want you to be angry at me if I’ve done nothing wrong. Having said that you were pretty intense last night, so feel free to have angry sex with me whenever you want.”

“Joe.” I groan getting out of bed.

"What?" he laughed

***

Stepping into work I see Kenny setting up the tables before customers start arriving. “Morning” I smile.

“Hey, you’re finally here.” He said pushing a chair under the table and walking towards me. Just as he’s within hugging distance Joe opens the door trying to catch his breath. Kenny drops his arms. “And you're with Joe.” He sighs dropping his arms.

“Sorry, he insisted on walking me to work and it ended up turning into a race to see who could get here first. Hugging Kenny he lightly rubs his hand over my back. I really do feel bad for Kenny, it doesn't take a genius to realise he doens't like Joe and is only tolarating him because of me.

“Damn it woman you can run.” Joe gasped.

“She took up cross country.” Kenny said obviously smug about the fact he knew something about me Joe didn’t.

“Well that explains it then.” Joe nodded

Looking from Joe to Kenny then back at Joe the atmosphere seems to be getting more awkward with each passing second.

“Right, well Joe why don’t you go home or something and I’ll see you later.” I finally said breaking the silence.

“I’ll pick you up at…. What time do you finish?”

“She finishes at six.” Kenny interrupted.

Rolling my eyes I quickly rub my forehead “I’ll see you at six” I sigh giving Joe a hug.

“I’ll be here at five.” He whispered before kissing me goodbye.

After Joe leaves I turn back to face Kenny “Someone woke up on the wrong side of the bed.” I said playfully hitting his shoulder.

“I didn’t do anything.”

“Oh really?” I scoff “She finishes at six” I said badly imitating Kenny.

“You do!”

“That’s not the point.” I laugh going into the back room.

------

I know I should be annoyed by Kenny’s attitude problem but if I’m honest I don’t care. I’m in such a good place right now; I don’t know if it’s because I've finally connected with Erica again or because she told be that she didn’t want to lose me. Maybe it’s a little bit of both, all I know is I haven’t been this happy in a long time.

“You look like you're in a good mood.” Justin’s voice snaps me out of my daydream, looking up he waves a beer bottle in my face.

“I am.” I smile talking the bottle and letting him drop onto the sofa.

“You banged her didn’t you?” He said opening his bottle and throwing the cap onto the coffee table.

“I didn’t bang her. We had sex.”

“Joe you are on a downward spiral right now. You’re a valentines day card and a bouquet of flowers away from being whipped.” Justin said making a whipping motion with his hand.

“Are you just upset because you don’t have me all to yourself anymore?”

Staring at me with beer still in his mouth Justin pointed his bottle at me “That’s the gayest thing you’ve ever said to me.” he paused to take another sip “In case you forgot I like- no I LOVE my life. I have this amazing place, I’ve slept with more women then I can count and I don’t have the responsibilities that come with being in a relationship. It's like winning the lottery, all the financial benifits without the hard work.”

“I get it.” I interrupt hoping it will stop his rant.

“Not to mention I don’t have to listen to the endless ramblings of the female mind that they all feel the need to talk about over and over-“

“What would you say if I told you I think I love her?” I said cutting him off.

“Well since you’ve already mentioned it a million times I would roll my eyes and pretend to listen.”

“No I mean really love her. As in I want to spend the rest of my life with her.” Shifting in my seat I rest my elbow on the arm rest.

“You do realise you’ve only been a couple for just over a week right?” Justin said sounding more serious.

“I know, but I’ve known her for so long.” I shrug lightly tapping my fingers on the bottle in my hand.

“You’ve spent the past 5 years hating her!”

“I got over it.” I laugh.

“Joe as your friend I’m going to be brutally honest with you. You are an idiot. If I could punch the stupidity out of you, I would.”

“I’m hurt.” I sigh weakly clutching my t-shirt

“You’re not going to do something stupid are you?”

“Like what?” I ask

“Oh I don’t know, propose?!” Justin shouted as he put his bottle on the table.

“I wasn’t even thinking about it…. Until now.” I mutter trying to hide the smirk on my face.

“If you ask her to marry you I swear-”

“I’m joking!” I yell “She wouldn’t say yes even if I did ask.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry for the wait. I'll try and write/post the next chapter soon.