Tumors And Hearts

Day 20 – Rain Drops and Kisses

Xx-nikki-xX

It was late. The house show in San Antonio, Texas had been over for a while now.

I restlessly rolled over in my hotel bed. Through the darkness that filled our room, I could see Manda’s sleeping body in her own bed. I was still awake, but she had conked out as soon as her head hit the pillow hours ago.

Oh, how I envied her.

Sighing in frustration for probably the millionth time, I rolled onto my stomach and lay like that for a few minutes. I quickly became restless again and rolled onto my side, now facing the wall. A few minutes later, I rolled over on my other side and saw that it was already close to 3:45 in the morning. It looked like it was going to be another sleepless night...

Living each night in an insomniatic nightmare… I thought remembering a line from a poem I had written.

My phone started going off. I quickly grabbed it and went into the bathroom. I quietly shut the door, not wanting to wake Manda.

“Hey.” I said smiling as I answered it. “It’s nice to know I’m not the only one still awake at this time.”

“I was worried I’d wake you.” came Shannon’s voice.

“Nah, I’ve been tossing and turning for hours.” and thinking of you…

“Me too.”

“Is Jeff still up too?” I asked sitting on the edge of the bathtub.

He snorted. “No. Lucky fucker conked out as soon as we got in. What about Manda?”

“Same.” I sighed.

Cue silence.

I was about to hang up, thinking maybe Shannon had fallen asleep, when I heard him sigh.

“So…” he said dragging the word out. “Do you wanna get some coffee?”

“Right now?”

“Yeah.”

Exactly what I need Shannon, something to help me stay awake! >_<

“Shannon, it’s almost four in the morning!” I said smiling.

“All the more reason to get coffee.” I could tell he was smiling now too. “I don’t think either of us are gonna get any sleep…”

I sighed again and checked the time. Four o’clock on the button.

“I guess coffee sounds good...”

“What’s your room number?” he asked.

“207.”

“Gimme five minutes.”

x-later-x

I looked up at the cloudy night sky as we walked back to the hotel. The café we went to was only a few blocks down, so we had decided to just walk since both of us were wide awake.

It suddenly started raining. The drops of water came down hard and fast as we ran the remaining block to the hotel, our hands still connected.

We were soaking wet when we finally reached the hotel. Shannon opened the door and we ran inside the dry, warm lobby.

I turned to him, smiling, and watched him try and ring out his hat. He gave up and placed the dripping piece of fabric back on his head. I laughed as a drop of water ran down from his hat, trailed down his nose, and caught on his lips.

“What are you giggling at?” he asked smiling.

“Nothing.” I said. “And I don’t giggle, I laugh attractively.”

I started walking towards the elevators, figuring I would change and go running now while I was wide awake and high on caffeine. Shannon grabbed my hand and pulled me back to him. Before I could say anything, his lips were on mine.

“I’ve been wanting to do that for a while.” he said when we broke apart.

I smiled and laced my fingers through his. I led the way to the elevators, unable to think of what else to do or say.

We got to my room and I turned to face him.

“Good night.” I said hugging him. “Or, I guess I should say good morning.”

He wrapped his arms around my waist and buried his face in my hair. “Good morning.” he said, his voice muffle.

Nothing else seemed to matter as we stood there for… however long we stood there like that. I still couldn’t believe just how easy it was to forget about everything else when I was with Shannon Moore.

He kissed me on the cheek before letting go of me. “I guess I’ll see you in a few hours.”

I nodded as he turned around and started heading down the hall. I smiled as I watched him go, wishing we had kissed one more time.

“Shannon!” I suddenly called running after him.

He stopped walking and turned back around as I caught up to him. I wrapped my arms around him, stood up on the tips of my toes, and kissed him.

“So does this mean we’re dating?” Shannon asked smiling when we broke apart.

I smiled and nodded, before kissing him again.

“OH MY GOD!” I heard Manda’s voice yell.

We broke apart and turned to see Manda standing in the doorway of our room. Her face was a mixture of shock and happiness.

“I guess this means I don’t have to tell Manda now.” I said as a few people came out of their rooms to see what was going on.