Tumors And Hearts

Day 53 – The Truth Pt. 1

Xx-nikki-xX

“What the fuck is that?” I asked Ashley, pointing at the giant piece of poster board she was trying to hide behind her back.

“Nothing!” she said tossing it in the back seat of my car. “Nothing you should be worrying about.”

I rolled my eyes and got in the driver’s seat of my car. Ashley hopped in the passenger seat and we were on our way. As we pulled out of the parking lot Ashley started blasting City by Hollywood Undead – something we could both agree on.

Tonight there was going to be a show in my hometown of Chicago, Illinois. Ashley was going to be in the front row, and a major part of my cheering section. To say that I was excited was a major understatement.

It didn’t take long to make it to the arena where we would be wrestling later that night. We turned onto the road it was located on and followed a green car into the giant parking lot. There were already some rental cars in the section of the parking lot that was saved for the wrestlers. The green car pulled into a free space and we pulled into the one next to it.

I opened my door at the same time as Alex Shelley and our doors almost banged together. Almost.

“Shelley you are so lucky our cars are far enough apart!” I said once we were both out of the cars and I had checked my door for dents or scratches.

“It looks like I would’ve been doing you a favor, Carter.” he said. “You’re a famous pro wrestler and you have a piece of shit for a car.”

“Don’t be bagging on my car!” I said playfully hitting him in the arm.

“Just saying, you need a new car.” he said.

“No I don’t.” I said. I won’t need it much longer anyway…

I grabbed my bag out of my trunk and gave Ashley time to get her sign and attempt to hide it behind her back. We headed into the arena with Alex, Chris, and Manda.

x-later-x

“This match is set for one fall and it is TNA Knockouts action!” Jeremy Borash announced as Angel Over My Shoulder started playing. “Introducing at this time, accompanied to the ring by Velvet Sky – Angelina Love!”

The giant crowd cheered as Angelina and Velvet did their signature Beautiful People ring entrance.

I was supposed to wrestle Daffney tonight but she injured herself at the show the night before and had to skip the rest of the shows on this loop. Thinking it would be better to save matches involving Fallon Chase, Nicolette, Sarita, and Daffney for TV, they decided to bring in the Beautiful People for the rest of the weekend.

“We should come up with a ring entrance.” Manda said watching them too.

“Hmm...” I said doing some last minute stretching.

“And now,” Jeremy Borash said as Unholy Confessions started playing. “Introducing her opponent, your hometown girl, accompanied to the ring by Fallon Chase – Nicolette!”

We ran out to face the cheering crowd as M. Shadows’ voice filled the arena. I ran around the outside of the ring, high-fiving as many people as I could before sliding into the ring. I climbed up on the turnbuckles and soaked in the energy of the crowd.

“I LOVE YOU NIKKI!” Ashley yelled.

I looked around and finally found her in the sea of people. I looked at the sign she was holding up and laughed. It read “Go Penguin! Go!” in black and white letters – I told you penguins were our thing. I rolled my eyes as I jumped down from the turnbuckles and turned to face Angelina.

Velvet and Fallon climbed out of the ring as the bell sounded and the match began…

About seven minutes later the bell rang again. Unholy Confessions started playing again as I rolled off Angelina and stood up. Fallon and Velvet both climbed in the ring. Fallon rushed over to me and attacked me. She raised my hand in victory as Velvet was trying to revive a supposedly unconscious Angelina.

Fallon dropped my hand and we climbed out of the ring together. I slapped Ashley a high-five as we made our way backstage. We waited on Lauren and Jamie before heading to the girls’ locker room.

“Any plans for tonight?” Jamie asked as Lauren and I changed out of our ring gear – she and Manda had worn their normal clothes out to the ring.

“Not yet.” I said peeling off my sweaty arm bands.

“We should do something.” Lauren said stepping out of her boots. “We should have a girls’ night or something.”

“I’m in.” Manda said leaning against my locker.

“Me too.” I said. “I could use some fun.” I thought back to what happened yesterday with Shannon and Jesse.

“Then it’s settled!” Jamie said. “Just the four of us!”

“And Ashley.” I added.

“And Ashley.” Jamie agreed. “But no boys!”

“Here! Here!” I said raising a pretend goblet.

The four of us hung out backstage until the show was over. Once security had let Ashley backstage we were on our way out of the arena. We had just decided to go out for drinks when I heard someone call my name.

“NIKKI!”

I turned around and saw Shannon and Matt coming our way.

“And just where are all you fine young ladies headed off too?” Matt asked when they finally reached us.

“We’re off to the nearest bar for drinks and dancing.” Manda said.

“Mind if we come?” Shannon asked slipping an arm around my waist.

“Sorry guys.” Jamie said. “But it’s just gonna be the girls tonight.”

Shannon looked at me and I nodded. He sighed before saying, “Alright, well, have fun.”

“Oh, we will.” Lauren said.

“And stay safe.” he added.

Jamie rolled her eyes. “Yes, sir.” she said in a sarcastic tone.

The five of us girls started walking away when Shannon pulled me back. “I mean it.” he said.

“Shannon, I’ll be fine.” I said.

“Humor me.”

“Fine.”

He smiled and pulled me in for a tight hug. I brought my arms up and wrapped them around his neck. “I love you.” I said inhaling his amazing sent.

“I love you too.” he said before kissing me.

Before things could get too good we were interrupted by Manda, Lauren, Jamie, and Ashley.

“Aw!”

“That’s so cute!”

“I want a picture!”

“Quick! Someone grab a camera!”

I flipped them off without breaking the kiss. They kept at it though, and we finally broke apart.

“I better go.” I said smiling.

He pecked me on the lips one last time before letting go of me. “Have fun.” he said.

“I will.” I said before leaving.

x-later-x

It was late. The last time I checked the time it was about 2 in the morning. After we got out of the bar Ashley and I invited the others to stay the night at our apartment with us. Now we were all lying around in the living room area in our pajamas, talking and watching TV. It was now silent in the room because I had just told Jamie and Lauren about my tumor.

“No way!” Jamie said in a shocked voice.

“You’re lying!” Lauren said. “Y-you have to be.”

I shook my head at them and they turned to look at Manda and Ashley for conformation. They both nodded and Jamie and Lauren suddenly looked as though they were going to cry.

“But…” said Jamie. “You can’t be dying!”

“I can and I am.”

“Wait,” Lauren said. “Does Shannon know?”

“No.” Manda and Ashley answered for me.

“She doesn’t want him to know.” Ashley said.

“Why?” Jamie and Lauren both turned to look at me like I was crazy.

“I have my reasons…”

“Stupid reasons.” Ashley and Manda muttered.

“Nikki, you need to tell him.” Lauren said.

“I TOLD YOU!” Ashley and Manda both yelled, pointing at me in unison.

It was kinda freaky how they were doing that saying-the-same-thing-at-the-same-time thing.

“I know I should…” I said looking at the floor. “But-”

“Nuh-uh.” Jamie said. “No but’s.”

“But-”

“Listen here, Nikki,” Jamie said. “If you don’t tell Shannon soon, I will! And you don’t want me to be the one to tell him!”

I sighed. “I will...”

x-later-x

I was lying wide awake in the living room between Ashley and Lauren’s sleeping bodies. I looked over at Jamie and Manda and realized I was the only one still awake. I checked the time on my phone and saw that it was already close to four. I wanted to fall sleep like the rest of them, but couldn’t.

They were right. I had to tell Shannon about my tumor. Things only kept getting worse and I hated having to hide it from him.

Before I could change my mind I grabbed my phone and called Shannon.

“Huwoh?” came his sleepy voice after the fourth ring.

“Did I wake you?”

“Yawh.” he yawned.

“Sorry.”

“Issokay.” he said. “Wassup?”

I took a deep breath. No turning back now. “Shannon, I need to talk to you about something important. In person.”

“Okay…” he said sounding suddenly awake now. “Do you want me to come there, or…”

“No, I’ll meet you at the hotel.”

“Alright. I’ll see you in a bit, I guess...”

I ended the call and bit my lip. He was worried. He could tell something was wrong.

As quickly and quietly as I could, I maneuvered around the rest of the girls and headed to my room. I didn’t want to take the time to change so I stayed in my black baggy shorts and slipped on my red and black stripped hoodie over my grey white beater. I mashed my feet into my black, blue, and purple Osiris’s, grabbed my car keys and hurried out of my apartment.

Fifteen minutes later I was pulling into the parking lot of the hotel Shannon was staying at. I saw him waiting by the door to the lobby and could tell he was really worried. I took a deep breath before getting out and slowly walking over to him.

“Hey.”

“Hey.”

I took another deep breath. “Shannon, I have to tell you something.” I said.

He nodded. My eyes filled with tears at the sadness that filled his face.

I wiped at my eyes before speaking. “I’m dying, Shannon.”

He looked confused. “What?”

“I’m dying.” I repeated.

“What? How? What are you talking about?” my eyes weren’t the only ones watering now.

“I have a brain tumor.” I told him. “The doctors tried everything, but nothing worked.”

“H-how long d-do you have to l-live?”

“Less than three months.”

I watched as his tears finally spilled over. “No!” he yelled. “You can’t die!”

He sank down to his knees and continued to cry. I knelt down next to him and wrapped my arms around him. I resisted the urge to cry as I held onto him.

“Shhh.” I said rubbing his back. “Shhh.”

“I love you Nikki.” he said through his tears. “I don’t want to lose you!”

“I love you too Shannon.” I said, unable to think of anything else to say.

I stood up and gently pulled him to his feet. I kept my arms around his waist as I walked him back to his room. I fished the key card out of his pocket and unlocked the door. I was still trying not to cry as I led him to his bed and tucked him in.

“Wait.” he said when I turned to leave.

“What?”

“Will you stay with me?” he asked wiping at his red, puffy eyes. “At least until I fall asleep?”

“Sure.” I said.

I kicked off my shoes and took off my hoodie before crawling in bed with him. I put my arms around him and he used my chest as a pillow. I started rubbing his back when he started crying again.

“I love you.”

“I love you too.”

I didn’t let myself cry until I was sure Shannon was asleep.