Tumors And Hearts

Day 75 – Unpredictable

Xx-shannon-xX

After Nikki passed out yesterday Ashley and I rushed her back into the hospital to get some help. They ran several tests on her and told us she would have to stay there until she woke up. We stayed the night in the hospital with Nikki’s unconscious body, too worried to go back to the apartment without her.

“…but I don’t get how this happened.” Ashley was saying. “Dr. Molly said there was nothing unusually wrong with Nikki’s tumor.”

“I know.” I said.

I sat down in the chair by the bed Nikki’s unconscious body was lying in. I gently ran a hand over her forehead, moving the hair from her face. I leaned over the rail of the bed and kissed her lightly.

“Please wake up.” I whispered stroking her hair.

A sob from the other side of Nikki’s bed told me that Ashley was crying for the umpteenth time that day. I got up from my seat and went around the bed to comfort her. The two of us got along really well, but I had never even thought of hugging her. But now, as I watched her cry over her best friend’s unconscious body I couldn’t help but wrap my arms around her and hug her tightly.

“It’ll be okay Ashley.” I said.

“What if she doesn’t wake up?” she said through her tears.

“She’s woken up before.”

“That doesn’t mean anything Shannon!”

“I’m fine guys.” Nikki suddenly said in a sleepy voice.

“NIKKI!” we both screamed in relief.

After spending the night worrying, it was good to finally see Nikki’s open eyes.

“You’re awake!” Ashley screamed.

She jumped out of her chair and launched herself at Nikki. I had to wipe my eyes as they filled with tears.

“What happened?” Nikki asked slowly sitting up in her bed.

“You passed out in the parking lot.”

“Again?”

There was a knock on the door and Dr. Molly came in with a nurse.

“You’re finally awake.” she said. “I was beginning to worry about you.” she actually sounded sincere.

“Yeah,” Nikki said. “Mind telling me what’s going on?”

“I’m afraid we don’t know.” Dr. Molly sighed.

“How can you not know?” Ashley asked.

“We’ve done every test imaginable and can’t find anything.”

“How is that possible?” I asked. “You should have found something.”

“Should have, yes.” she said. “It worries me that your tumor is so unpredictable. You could be in a lot of danger.”

“So… what should I do?” Nikki asked.

“For now we have to discharge you, but you need to be very careful. Another episode like this could end very badly on your part.”

She gave Nikki a sympathetic look before leaving the room. The nurse stepped forward. She carefully unhooked her from the heart monitor and took the IV out of her arm. She set her clothes at the end of Nikki’s bed and left without saying anything.

I could see the tears in Nikki’s eyes as Ashley helped her get dressed. It killed me to see her like this – too weak to even dress herself. Once she was completely dressed, she slowly got out of the bed and stood up. She gave me a pleading look and I scooped her up into my arms.

As the three of us headed out of the hospital I very faintly heard Nikki whisper something. It sounded a lot like “Why me?”
♠ ♠ ♠
Questions? Comments? Anything? lol. Lemme know how you guys are liking it!